Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Car battery charging current.

On 12/05/2020 20:30, mm0fmf wrote:
On 12/05/2020 01:57, williamwright wrote:
On 11/05/2020 14:31, williamwright wrote:

No Bill. EMFÂ* or voltage is entirely down to rotational speed
times flux density. Flux can be varied by adjusting field coil
current so the alternator will deliver whatever voltsÂ* it needs
to do to push 150A out

A lovely example of bull**** baffles brains, or 'obfuscation'.
What you did was trot out a lot of fairly obvious but scarcely
relevant guff to hide the fact that you were talking ********.
Everyone can see through this sort of thing you know. Try to
remember that amongst the members of this group there are people
who have had a working lifetime of detecting bull****.

Bill
Bill Don't be silly. Look it up.

You are making a fool of yourself.

No I'm making a fool of you; which is an easy task.

Bill
I used to respect your knowledge, Bill.
Its sad

I never respected yours, because so often you were proved wrong.

Bill

Nice burn.

not really.

so into the kf with both of you.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
williamwright wrote:

Not the other way round, Charles? Most pulleys I've seen are steel
pressings rather than castings.

Exactly as I said. Ford competition grade was a casting.

Seems odd. A casting is rarely as strong as a pressing, like for like.

Probably the casting was much thicker metal.

I suppose an early car only had the one pulley so how much space it took
up not a problem.

But I really can't remember seeing a cast pulley on any car - even more so
if a performance part where weight is important.

To the untrained eye, this looks like a casting and weighs 0.2kg
or 7.oz

Whether that weight is impressive or not, I dunno

https://105eoc.com/product/dynamo-pu...v=79cba1185463

From memory (very long term) and a quick look at Google images
pressed steel pulley wheels came in two or more parts - two dished
circular blanks which were riveted or welded together. The above
wheel looks to be one piece, to me at least with no obvious joins
and no rivets or similar holding the two halves together.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote:

Not the other way round, Charles? Most pulleys I've seen are steel
pressings rather than castings.

Exactly as I said. Ford competition grade was a casting.

Seems odd. A casting is rarely as strong as a pressing, like for like.

Probably the casting was much thicker metal.

I suppose an early car only had the one pulley so how much space it took
up not a problem.

But I really can't remember seeing a cast pulley on any car - even more so
if a performance part where weight is important.

To the untrained eye, this looks like a casting and weighs 0.2kg
or 7.oz

Whether that weight is impressive or not, I dunno

https://105eoc.com/product/dynamo-pu...v=79cba1185463

From memory (very long term) and a quick look at Google images
pressed steel pulley wheels came in two or more parts - two dished
circular blanks which were riveted or welded together. The above
wheel looks to be one piece, to me at least with no obvious joins
and no rivets or similar holding the two halves together.

Although on second thoughts if it was the other way up maybe the
rivets are on the uderside in the photo...

If only Sainsbury opened at 7 like all the others

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
michael adams wrote:
From memory (very long term) and a quick look at Google images
pressed steel pulley wheels came in two or more parts - two dished
circular blanks which were riveted or welded together. The above
wheel looks to be one piece, to me at least with no obvious joins
and no rivets or similar holding the two halves together.

Yes - at one time riveting was popular. later cars with more than one belt
often had the pulleys bolted to a boss.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
michael adams wrote:
From memory (very long term) and a quick look at Google images
pressed steel pulley wheels came in two or more parts - two dished
circular blanks which were riveted or welded together. The above
wheel looks to be one piece, to me at least with no obvious joins
and no rivets or similar holding the two halves together.

Yes - at one time riveting was popular. later cars with more than one belt
often had the pulleys bolted to a boss.

The one on my Anglia that fell apart was tack welded.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England