Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I fixed something

The much more expensive CTEK charger which is very similar in concept
suffers the same problem. Recently fixed one. But don't know of enough of
them to have any data on how long they last there.

I have a CTEK - I needed a charger at one of the points Aldi/Lidl didn't
have a clone. I bought it in Jan 2013.

I think the CTEK has a 5 year warranty, and the switch lasted a bit
longer than that :-( , I repaired the charger in late 2018 IIRC.

I think people have taken the original switches apart and found
tarnishing on the metal disc contact.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Bartram wrote:

The much more expensive CTEK charger which is very similar in concept
suffers the same problem. Recently fixed one. But don't know of enough of
them to have any data on how long they last there.

I have a CTEK - I needed a charger at one of the points Aldi/Lidl didn't
have a clone. I bought it in Jan 2013.

I think the CTEK has a 5 year warranty, and the switch lasted a bit
longer than that :-( , I repaired the charger in late 2018 IIRC.

I think people have taken the original switches apart and found
tarnishing on the metal disc contact.

Considering that it only has to make a momentary connection its odd that
just pressing it more firmly doesnt overcome the tarnishing (or whatever
is increasing the resistance).

Oddly, despite very good weatherproofing, there was some crud on the pcb
around the switch on mine, almost as if water had got in at some time. I
wonder if it happened during manufacture before the unit was fully sealed?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Considering that it only has to make a momentary connection it‘s odd that
just pressing it more firmly doesn‘t overcome the tarnishing (or whatever
is increasing the resistance).

Oddly, despite very good weatherproofing, there was some crud on the pcb
around the switch on mine, almost as if water had got in at some time.
I wonder if it happened during manufacture before the unit was fully
sealed?

The Lidl one appears to be very well sealed. Nice rubber gasket between
the the case parts. To IP whatever, I'd guess.

Be interesting to know if ones kept in a house have the switch last longer
than one kept in an unheated etc garage.

The one I have built into the Rover - one of the first models - has only
had the switch changed recently. Quite a few years old and well past any
warranty. And the car lives outdoors. This early one has fixing brackets
built in - later ones don't.

--
*Okay, who stopped the payment on my reality check? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.