Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default "Mixed up the brake and accelerator"?!?

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 11:39:36 -0000, NY wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

I'm surprised that VW (and other makes like Skoda and Seat which are
owned by VW) still have the light switch (*) as a rotary control on the
dashboard (between the steering column and the driver's door). Similarly
for a Merdedes Sprinter van that I hired to do some furniture removal
last year. Maybe it's a German thing, because AFAIK Mercedes are separate
from VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat. I wonder what BMW do?

Ford and Vauxhall have that as well.

(*) Turn for side/headlight, pull out for rear foglights, maybe pull
further for front foglight as well.

My previous car (Ford) had that, the current (Vauxhall) has push-buttons
for fog lights.

I presume the VW pull-for-fog-lights on the side-light switch is a
mechanical interlock with the side lights, so it gets reset when you turn
the lights off and later turn them back on. In my cars (Peugeot and Honda)
it's a spring-loaded collar on the lights/indicator stalk, and it resets
electronically rather than by a mechanical interlock.

My Mark 2 Golf in the late 80s had a totally separate toggle switch on the
dashboard. Just after I got the car, I encountered fog so I was scrupulously
careful about turn the rear foglights off every time I saw the headlights of
a car behind (to avoid dazzling him) and then turning it back on when there
were no headlights. It wasn't until I got home that I realised I'd been
accidentally toggling the heated rear window switch alongside, and had been
unwittingly dazzling cars behind me :-(

I have no idea where my fog light switch is as I never use it. A light precisely the same as a brake light does not ever get used on my car. I want folk to know when I'm slowing down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

My Mark 2 Golf in the late 80s had a totally separate toggle switch on the
dashboard. Just after I got the car, I encountered fog so I was scrupulously
careful about turn the rear foglights off every time I saw the headlights of
a car behind (to avoid dazzling him) and then turning it back on when there
were no headlights. It wasn't until I got home that I realised I'd been
accidentally toggling the heated rear window switch alongside, and had been
unwittingly dazzling cars behind me :-(

Foglights are meant to be seen through fog. If there was fog the
lights would not have been dazzling. By switching them off you risk
the following car crashing into you beause you can't be eeen. Leave
them on and if they really are dazzling the following car will drop
back.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sun, 29 Mar 2020 23:43:30 +0100, Dave W, another brain dead troll-feeding
senile idiot, blathered:

Foglights are meant to be seen through fog.

Baits are set out by trolls and meant to be taken by demented senile idiots
like you, troll-feeding senile idiot! tsk