Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default "Mixed up the brake and accelerator"?!?

On Thu, 27 Feb 2020 11:39:36 -0000, NY wrote:

"Steve Walker" wrote in message

I'm surprised that VW (and other makes like Skoda and Seat which are
owned by VW) still have the light switch (*) as a rotary control on the
dashboard (between the steering column and the driver's door). Similarly
for a Merdedes Sprinter van that I hired to do some furniture removal
last year. Maybe it's a German thing, because AFAIK Mercedes are separate
from VW/Audi/Skoda/Seat. I wonder what BMW do?

Ford and Vauxhall have that as well.

(*) Turn for side/headlight, pull out for rear foglights, maybe pull
further for front foglight as well.

My previous car (Ford) had that, the current (Vauxhall) has push-buttons
for fog lights.

I presume the VW pull-for-fog-lights on the side-light switch is a
mechanical interlock with the side lights, so it gets reset when you turn
the lights off and later turn them back on. In my cars (Peugeot and Honda)
it's a spring-loaded collar on the lights/indicator stalk, and it resets
electronically rather than by a mechanical interlock.

My Mark 2 Golf in the late 80s had a totally separate toggle switch on the
dashboard. Just after I got the car, I encountered fog so I was scrupulously
careful about turn the rear foglights off every time I saw the headlights of
a car behind (to avoid dazzling him) and then turning it back on when there
were no headlights. It wasn't until I got home that I realised I'd been
accidentally toggling the heated rear window switch alongside, and had been
unwittingly dazzling cars behind me :-(

I have no idea where my fog light switch is as I never use it. A light precisely the same as a brake light does not ever get used on my car. I want folk to know when I'm slowing down.