Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Reverse of winter highs - Gridwatch

Just noting that for the last few days we have had a high over a lot of
the country, but instead of grey skies and no wind we have blue skies and
a lot of wind.

Could be the weather front stalled half way down, of course.

Anyway at the moment there are bright blue skies for lots of solar and
plenty of wind.
Coal off most of the time, nuclear running lower than usual (maintenance?)
and CCGT not doing a lot.

Renewables kicking around 50% of demand.

Nice to see, but I'm sure it won't last.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 16:50:18 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

On Wed, 25 Mar 2020 16:47:58 +0000, David wrote:

Just noting that for the last few days we have had a high over a lot of
the country, but instead of grey skies and no wind we have blue skies
and a lot of wind.

Could be the weather front stalled half way down, of course.

Anyway at the moment there are bright blue skies for lots of solar and
plenty of wind.
Coal off most of the time, nuclear running lower than usual
(maintenance?)
and CCGT not doing a lot.

Renewables kicking around 50% of demand.

Nice to see, but I'm sure it won't last.

Cheers

Dave R

Probably just coincidence, but it's interesting the first 3 days of
"lockdown" have seen (certainly in the Midlands) 3 days of uninterrupted
sunshine dawn to dusk ....

I managed nearly 6 miles walk today - saw few others out - and the M1 wind
farm (SE of Northampton) had all blades feathered - was solar input enough?
I suppose industrial and commercial businesses shutting down has a large
effect.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC wrote:

I suppose industrial and commercial businesses shutting down has a large
effect.

strange spiky demand graph on gridwatch for yesterday evening, or was
that an Elexon issue?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 17:16:07 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Of course if a lot of staff are off maybe that is why coal is off, after all
working in a coal fired station means you are probably inhaling dust and
hence your lungs are not too good.
Brian

Why should that be? Do you imagine little men shovelling coal into a furnace?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2020 16:47, David wrote:
Just noting that for the last few days we have had a high over a lot of
the country, but instead of grey skies and no wind we have blue skies and
a lot of wind.

Could be the weather front stalled half way down, of course.

Anyway at the moment there are bright blue skies for lots of solar and
plenty of wind.
Coal off most of the time, nuclear running lower than usual (maintenance?)
and CCGT not doing a lot.

Renewables kicking around 50% of demand.

Nice to see, but I'm sure it won't last.

Cheers

Dave R

actually no., there is no wind power today. remember most of the wind
subsidy goes to porridgewogs up on edinburgh...it can be lam in the
south and blowing a gale up in orkney

Of course the more renewable energy is online the higher your
electricity bill.

Only 'nice' for lunatics

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2020 17:46, Andy Burns wrote:
PeterC wrote:

I suppose industrial and commercial businesses shutting down has a large
effect.

strange spiky demand graph on gridwatch for yesterday evening, or was
that an Elexon issue?

I really do not know. It appears to have resolved itself without my
doing a things so assume its elexon/BMreports

--
How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think.

Adolf Hitler

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2020 06:46, harry wrote:
On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 17:16:07 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Of course if a lot of staff are off maybe that is why coal is off, after all
working in a coal fired station means you are probably inhaling dust and
hence your lungs are not too good.
Brian

Why should that be? Do you imagine little men shovelling coal into a furnace?

Never been to a pulverised fuel powered power station, I suppose.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 17:16:07 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa)Â* wrote:
Of course if a lot of staff are off maybe that is why coal is off,
after all
working in a coal fired station means you are probably inhaling dust and
hence your lungs are not too good.
Â* Brian

Why should that be? Do you imagine little men shovelling coal into a
furnace?

Never been to a pulverised fuel powered power station, I suppose.

I worked at the Scientific Services Department of the CEGB
which was co-sited with the Portishead A and B power stations.

No coal dust floating around at all, and the B station had
a marvellous canteen, except that you had to warn them in
the morning that you were coming for lunch.

Nearly 50 years ago now, but it seems like only yesterday
that I first had an undergraduate internship there back in 1971
during which I experienced that most exciting of playthings,
a PDP11/20 computer with its Blinkenlights interface.

Ever since then, with the whole of the machine available
to me at a very low level (Single step or even single cycle
of instructions ! ! ! ? ? ? ) I've had a DIY attitude to
software, with very much a Not-Invented-Here (NIH) approach
to software provided by others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2020 11:32, Gareth Evans wrote:
[...]

very impressive Gareth.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2020 11:41, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Kind of you to say so, Jim, but it has a downside, and that is
that I've a number of Raspberry Pis awaiting installation but
have stalled for lack of detail on the GPU processor which looks to be
more exciting than the ARM bit.

There's no doubt that the real power, and the concomitant
excitement thereto, in the Raspberry Pi lies
not in the ARM but in the GPU, and I wait forlornly for
the necessary data to be able to program it in
assembler or machine code.

Actually, one place I worked as a contract softy had
produced its product in hex machine code! This goes back to
the days in the 1980s when schoolchildren were considered
by some to be the real geniuses of computing and in this
particular company (no names, no pack drill!) the MD
had given the company's new product to be programmed
by his teenage son, but unfortunately that son's
experience of low level programming had been via PEEK
and POKE in BASIC so the product ended up as a block
of machine code to be laboriously entered by hand
into the PROM programmer!

WHen I went there, it was to program a PID controller,
ideally suited to the floating point in the C language,
and I recommended to them that they should purchase the C
compiler for the micro they were using, but unfortunately
they had only just discovered assembler which they
considered to be self documenting (which it might
seem to be if your only experience is with hex machine
code) and they insisted that the project be done in
assembler.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2020 13:05, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

I suspect that you're very similar to me, it's others'
software that you hate and not the computer itself! :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/03/2020 12:53, Gareth Evans wrote:

There's no doubt that the real power, and the concomitant
excitement thereto, in the Raspberry Pi lies
not in the ARM but in the GPU, and I wait forlornly for
the necessary data to be able to program it in
assembler or machine code.

Which Pi? There's a new GPU in the Pi4.

Andy

Number of Americans renouncing their citizenship near record highs burfordTjustice Home Repair 0 July 30th 16 11:40 AM
Ping TNP: Gridwatch b0rked? Mike Tomlinson UK diy 4 January 15th 13 09:46 AM
More gridwatch Brian Gaff UK diy 0 November 28th 12 10:30 PM
Gridwatch full dataset available The Natural Philosopher[_2_] UK diy 2 February 19th 12 05:34 PM
Highs, Lows & Highs Rob V Woodworking 0 November 20th 04 01:01 AM