Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Painting exterior door

The paintwork of the front door and door frame keeps getting damaged
due to carelessness on the part of residents. Is there a more durable
paint we could use or does the nature of wood mean that any paint is
liable to impact damage?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/03/2020 21:26, Scott wrote:
The paintwork of the front door and door frame keeps getting damaged
due to carelessness on the part of residents. Is there a more durable
paint we could use or does the nature of wood mean that any paint is
liable to impact damage?

The "residents" who have caused me problems in the past have been my
dogs. When I just filled and repainted my rather nice living room door I
seriously thought about putting a sheet of polycarbonate over the
vulnerable area. I didn't in the end because the current residents are
better behaved.

The short answer is that the underlying wood is likely to deform and no
paint will solve that although (for example) two pack epoxies are tougher.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it also exposed to the sun and the cold?
I have found the paint tends to go brittle and crack or chip. I'm sure old
fashioned paint was not so bad.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Scott" wrote in message
The paintwork of the front door and door frame keeps getting damaged
due to carelessness on the part of residents. Is there a more durable
paint we could use or does the nature of wood mean that any paint is
liable to impact damage?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 20 Mar 2020 07:27:03 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
wrote:

Is it also exposed to the sun and the cold?
I have found the paint tends to go brittle and crack or chip. I'm sure old
fashioned paint was not so bad.
Brian

Sun occasionally. Cold yes. Coronaviruis maybe. It was only painted
about two months ago. One of my neighbours has one of these big silly
prams but of course I cannot prove anything.

At the moment, I am looking for a technological solution. I see that
Network Rail used flake glass epoxy on the Forth Bridge but I believe
this is wholly unsuitable.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2020 09:12, Scott wrote:
At the moment, I am looking for a technological solution. I see that
Network Rail used flake glass epoxy on the Forth Bridge but I believe
this is wholly unsuitable.

A good epoxy on bare wood can't be beaten. That's why boats use it.

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 20 March 2020 21:49:16 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/03/2020 09:12, Scott wrote:

At the moment, I am looking for a technological solution. I see that
Network Rail used flake glass epoxy on the Forth Bridge but I believe
this is wholly unsuitable.

A good epoxy on bare wood can't be beaten. That's why boats use it.

Andy

Unless I'm mistaken, using that on a timber door exterior traps migrating damp leading to rot.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 21 March 2020 21:51:35 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/03/2020 23:16, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 20 March 2020 21:49:16 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/03/2020 09:12, Scott wrote:

At the moment, I am looking for a technological solution. I see that
Network Rail used flake glass epoxy on the Forth Bridge but I believe
this is wholly unsuitable.

A good epoxy on bare wood can't be beaten. That's why boats use it.

Andy

Unless I'm mistaken, using that on a timber door exterior traps migrating damp leading to rot.

The trick is to make sure its dry before you coat it.

Andy

obviously that doesn't solve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 23 March 2020 21:13:05 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 22/03/2020 13:55, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 21 March 2020 21:51:35 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/03/2020 23:16, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 20 March 2020 21:49:16 UTC, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/03/2020 09:12, Scott wrote:

At the moment, I am looking for a technological solution. I see that
Network Rail used flake glass epoxy on the Forth Bridge but I believe
this is wholly unsuitable.

A good epoxy on bare wood can't be beaten. That's why boats use it.

Andy

Unless I'm mistaken, using that on a timber door exterior traps migrating damp leading to rot.

The trick is to make sure its dry before you coat it.

Andy

obviously that doesn't solve it.

Properly coated the door won't be allowing any damp in.

alkyd paint layers are not impervious.

I'll admit I've had problems on my boat - but they are the areas where

because alkyd paint layers are not impervious.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 March 2020 20:44:58 UTC+1, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 27/03/2020 02:15, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

That sounds like a good reason not to use alkyd, and to use epoxy instead.

Andy

Really. No exterior wooden door has paint that remains gap & crack free. Paint that won't let migrating damp out causes rot. There is akso the separate question of flexibility & seasonal movement.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/03/2020 21:49, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/03/2020 09:12, Scott wrote:
At the moment, I am looking for a technological solution.Â* I see that
Network Rail used flake glass epoxy on the Forth Bridge but I believe
this is wholly unsuitable.

A good epoxy on bare wood can't be beaten. That's why boats use it.

Andy

Even better with a polyurethane topcoat to protect it from UV. As used
on Nuclear Fuel transport flasks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2020 22:14, newshound wrote:
On 20/03/2020 21:49, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 20/03/2020 09:12, Scott wrote:
At the moment, I am looking for a technological solution.Â* I see that
Network Rail used flake glass epoxy on the Forth Bridge but I believe
this is wholly unsuitable.

A good epoxy on bare wood can't be beaten. That's why boats use it.

Andy

Even better with a polyurethane topcoat to protect it from UV. As used
on Nuclear Fuel transport flasks.

Epoxy is prone to UV damage. I can't recall what the varnish on mine is.

Trouble I had is that once it had had a few bangs, then sat with a wet
canvas cover on it, the result was local damage.

Andy