Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chainsaw fecked?

My cheapo Gardenline 16" chainsaw has saved me a heap of money in firewood since I bought it a couple of years ago but something seems to be fecked in the chain tension adjuster.

There's a large knob that you wind to move the bar in and out for adjustment but now no amount of twiddling advances the bar. I suspect the teeth between the knob and the gear that turns the adjustment shaft are stripped.

Is there any likelihood of this part being available as a spare (or as part of the whole chain retention/chain brake assembly) or should I just cut my losses and buy a new one?

It doesn't owe me anything but it starts and runs well so I don't like the thought of just ditching it.

So far I've failed to find a part like it online for sale.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" Wrote in message:
My cheapo Gardenline 16" chainsaw has saved me a heap of money in firewood since I bought it a couple of years ago but something seems to be fecked in the chain tension adjuster.

There's a large knob that you wind to move the bar in and out for adjustment but now no amount of twiddling advances the bar. I suspect the teeth between the knob and the gear that turns the adjustment shaft are stripped.

Is there any likelihood of this part being available as a spare (or as part of the whole chain retention/chain brake assembly) or should I just cut my losses and buy a new one?

It doesn't owe me anything but it starts and runs well so I don't like the thought of just ditching it.

So far I've failed to find a part like it online for sale.

Tim

Can you tension it "manually" & nip up the retaining bolts?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, February 27, 2020 at 3:17:54 PM UTC, JimK wrote:
"Tim+" Wrote in message:
My cheapo Gardenline 16" chainsaw has saved me a heap of money in firewood since I bought it a couple of years ago but something seems to be fecked in the chain tension adjuster.

There's a large knob that you wind to move the bar in and out for adjustment but now no amount of twiddling advances the bar. I suspect the teeth between the knob and the gear that turns the adjustment shaft are stripped.

Is there any likelihood of this part being available as a spare (or as part of the whole chain retention/chain brake assembly) or should I just cut my losses and buy a new one?

It doesn't owe me anything but it starts and runs well so I don't like the thought of just ditching it.

So far I've failed to find a part like it online for sale.

Tim

Can you tension it "manually" & nip up the retaining bolts?

Good point. Yes I can with an Allen key but it's a pain in the bum as you can only adjust it half a turn at a time.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 February 2020 15:16:31 UTC, Tim+ wrote:

My cheapo Gardenline 16" chainsaw has saved me a heap of money in firewood since I bought it a couple of years ago but something seems to be fecked in the chain tension adjuster.

There's a large knob that you wind to move the bar in and out for adjustment but now no amount of twiddling advances the bar. I suspect the teeth between the knob and the gear that turns the adjustment shaft are stripped.

Is there any likelihood of this part being available as a spare (or as part of the whole chain retention/chain brake assembly) or should I just cut my losses and buy a new one?

It doesn't owe me anything but it starts and runs well so I don't like the thought of just ditching it.

So far I've failed to find a part like it online for sale.

Tim

we're only going to know if you show us the mechanism. And if you do that, you'll see for yourself what's knackered.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 27/02/2020 22:25, wrote:
we're only going to know if you show us the mechanism.

Yes, an image would help.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim+" Wrote in message:
[...]

Hmmm unsure what method yours uses to attach the bar to the
body.... older ones didn't have these fancy & weak tensioning
mechanisms & bars were held on with two retaining
nuts..
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----