Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing laminate flooring

My parent's house built around 1980 .... has a living room, to which was added a small extension both parts have solid screed floors.
Living room originally had a 6' window .... this was removed and room extended full width out by around 3m.

Currently has a pretty awful laminate floating floor laid over it, there is slight but a definite €˜hump as you move from extension to main room.
At the point where the original external cavity wall was (now under the screed)

The is at 90 degrees to plank run.
Going to need to relay flooring ...will add a 3mm underlay to try and help even out .... Q is whether fitting a Vinyl plank flooring might be better for this than laminate ?

Don't want to consider replacing screed as it would mean removing skirtings, replastering walls etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 12:39, Osprey wrote:
My parent's house built around 1980 .... has a living room, to which was added a small extension both parts have solid screed floors.
Living room originally had a 6' window .... this was removed and room extended full width out by around 3m.

Currently has a pretty awful laminate floating floor laid over it, there is slight but a definite €˜hump as you move from extension to main room.
At the point where the original external cavity wall was (now under the screed)

The is at 90 degrees to plank run.
Going to need to relay flooring ...will add a 3mm underlay to try and help even out .... Q is whether fitting a Vinyl plank flooring might be better for this than laminate ?

Don't want to consider replacing screed as it would mean removing skirtings, replastering walls etc.

Does the 'hump' move? A friend had a similar situation (ie a hump) and
it turn out, the laminate had moved and created the hump. The actual
floor underneath was level. When he took up the old laminated, replaced
the underlay stuff etc, he was able to relay the old laminate- which
matched the adjoining room.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 12:39, Osprey wrote:
My parent's house built around 1980 .... has a living room, to which
was added a small extension both parts have solid screed floors.
Living room originally had a 6' window .... this was removed and room
extended full width out by around 3m.

Currently has a pretty awful laminate floating floor laid over it,
there is slight but a definite €˜hump as you move from extension to
main room. At the point where the original external cavity wall was
(now under the screed)

The is at 90 degrees to plank run. Going to need to relay flooring
...will add a 3mm underlay to try and help even out .... Q is whether
fitting a Vinyl plank flooring might be better for this than laminate
?

Vinyl plank can look significantly better and does not have the problem
of sounding like a tap dance surface when it gets walked on. However
successfully laying *depends* on have very well done floor prep first.

Don't want to consider replacing screed as it would mean removing
skirtings, replastering walls etc.

Normal prep would be to apply self levelling compound first. This can be
done with skirtings in place, since it only adds a few mm of extra
screed depth typically.

What is the floor construction under the laminate?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 16:06, John Rumm wrote:
What is the floor construction under the laminate?

"has a living room, to which was added a small extension both parts have
solid screed floors."

Dementia setting in early?

--
"What do you think about Gay Marriage?"
"I don't."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2020 16:06, John Rumm wrote:
What is the floor construction under the laminate?

"has a living room, to which was added a small extension both parts have
solid screed floors."

Dementia setting in early?

Looks like it...

Still if its all screed, then latex self levelling all over will do the
trick nicely.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 February 2020 12:39:13 UTC, Osprey wrote:

My parent's house built around 1980 .... has a living room, to which was added a small extension both parts have solid screed floors.
Living room originally had a 6' window .... this was removed and room extended full width out by around 3m.

Currently has a pretty awful laminate floating floor laid over it, there is slight but a definite €˜hump as you move from extension to main room.
At the point where the original external cavity wall was (now under the screed)

The is at 90 degrees to plank run.
Going to need to relay flooring ...will add a 3mm underlay to try and help even out .... Q is whether fitting a Vinyl plank flooring might be better for this than laminate ?

Don't want to consider replacing screed as it would mean removing skirtings, replastering walls etc.

Is vinyl better in what way? It's just a case of preference, both have their upsides & issues.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 18/02/2020 12:39, Osprey wrote:
My parent's house built around 1980 .... has a living room, to which was added a small extension both parts have solid screed floors.
Living room originally had a 6' window .... this was removed and room extended full width out by around 3m.

Currently has a pretty awful laminate floating floor laid over it, there is slight but a definite €˜hump as you move from extension to main room.
At the point where the original external cavity wall was (now under the screed)

The is at 90 degrees to plank run.
Going to need to relay flooring ...will add a 3mm underlay to try and help even out .... Q is whether fitting a Vinyl plank flooring might be better for this than laminate ?

Don't want to consider replacing screed as it would mean removing skirtings, replastering walls etc.

Would losing a few mm off the skirting height really matter if you laid
self levelling up to it? Or is it more than a few mm?

--
Adam

Laminate on Laminate simon mitchelmore UK diy 7 January 1st 17 06:19 PM
Can I laminate over laminate L C Woodworking 12 September 23rd 06 10:27 PM
wood laminate flooring Daniel UK diy 9 July 24th 03 02:33 PM
Laminate v's Hardwood Flooring Grunff UK diy 4 July 20th 03 07:34 PM
Laminate flooring......recomended brands anyone? Sianu UK diy 5 July 13th 03 11:00 PM