Grunff

Default Laminate v's Hardwood Flooring

Neil wrote:

afaik ... laminate is plastic stuff with a soft green inner core about 8mm
thick, hard wood is real hard wood about 20mm thick.

There is a *wide* variety of laminates, some as thin as 6mm,
some as thick as 16mm. Prices vary accordingly.

As for the core, that varies from a dense chipboard on the
cheaper makes to a very high density MDF type material on the
more expensive ones.

Depends what your feelings are about ... cost / bland vs grained look /
click or glue / what it looks like after scratching . and so on.

Also what scratches more easily (hardwood).

I like wood as much as the next guy, but there are some
locations where I think laminate wins hands down, particularly
if you want a smooth, wipe-clean surface. Great for pets and kids.

--
Grunff

Frank

"parish" parish_AT_ntlworld.com wrote in message
rocyn wrote:

What is the difference between Laminate & Hard Wood Flooring ?

Laminate is like Formica; a printed woodgrain effect but, for flooring,
bonded to a thin wood (MDF?) substrate. The total thickness is 6-8mm.

Hardwood flooring is either solid hardwood 18-20mm thick or a composite
consisting of a hardwood veneer, much thicker (4-5mm) than veneer used
on furniture which allows it to be sanded and refinished several times,
bonded to a backing of softwood or particle board (MDF or chip).

http://www.xyloflooring.com/

Laminated just meens it is made up of layers so can be either man made or
real wood it does not just refer to it being "formica like"

parish

rocyn wrote:

What is the difference between Laminate & Hard Wood Flooring ?

Laminate is like Formica; a printed woodgrain effect but, for flooring,
bonded to a thin wood (MDF?) substrate. The total thickness is 6-8mm.

Hardwood flooring is either solid hardwood 18-20mm thick or a composite
consisting of a hardwood veneer, much thicker (4-5mm) than veneer used
on furniture which allows it to be sanded and refinished several times,
bonded to a backing of softwood or particle board (MDF or chip).

http://www.xyloflooring.com/

Laminated just meens it is made up of layers so can be either man made or
real wood it does not just refer to it being "formica like"

Strictly speaking yes (the veneered form of hardwood is a laminate) but,
based on what I've seen, "laminate" used in the context of flooring
means a Formica-like product, i.e. a printed woodgrain effect.

Neil

"Grunff" wrote in message
I like wood as much as the next guy, but there are some
locations where I think laminate wins hands down, particularly
if you want a smooth, wipe-clean surface. Great for pets and kids.

Quite so. We've laminate upstairs for easy-clean, real wood downstairs for
prettiness.
just our (well, swmbo's !) choice.
Neil

Glueless laminate floor and glue.. Abso UK diy 11 July 14th 03 10:49 PM
Laminate flooring......recomended brands anyone? Sianu UK diy 5 July 13th 03 11:00 PM
Chipboard flooring unusual Alex UK diy 1 July 12th 03 11:30 AM
Removing glued down vinyl flooring from concrete? Chris Wilson UK diy 2 July 10th 03 11:01 AM