Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sky Q and many channels at once - how does it work?

How does Sky Q get several channels through one cable? When Sky HD came out, we had to add a second cable to the dish to get two channels. But Q does not need 6 cables to get 6 channels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 February 2020 14:51:50 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
How does Sky Q get several channels through one cable? When Sky HD came
out, we had to add a second cable to the dish to get two channels. But Q
does not need 6 cables to get 6 channels.

Universal LNBs work by the receiver selecting one quarter of the channels at any one time. It does this by alternating the voltage between 13V and 18V which will enable the LNB to switch between Horizontal and vertically polarised signals. A 22kHz tone then switches the LNB from a low and high band. Hence a quarter of the channels at any one time. Vertical Low, vertical high, horizontal low, horizontal high. It is for this reason a normal traditional splitter can't be used on your satellite dish as the box may be trying to request a channel on one quarter or the other box be requesting a channel on the other quarter.

The LNB output at Satellite intermediate frequency (IF) which sits just above the UHF band used for terrestrial TV and 4G internet signals and coax cable has a bandwidth for half the satellite signal (i.e. low band or high band).

The Sky Q system now uses a frequency band which now includes all the band previously reserved for traditional terrestrial TV signals. It is what we call a "wideband LNB" which ranges from 230Mhz just above DAB radio right the way through the terrestrial TV signal band and up to 2359Mhz just beneath the 2.4Ghz band typically used for WIFI. Because it is "nicking" space that it did not used to have it has a far greater bandwidth for all of its services so there is no longer the need for a high and low band.

The Sky Q LNB itself has two outputs which are not the same. One is a horizontal output and the other a vertical output.

Because the Sky Q system uses terrestrial space, it can't be diplexed with terrestrial tv on the same cable, it must have its own cables.

summarised from
https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/...-universal-lnb

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote:

How does Sky Q get several channels through one cable?

I can't but a fibre LNB can do that (well one fibre for signal an a coax
for power)

When Sky HD came
out, we had to add a second cable to the dish to get two channels. But Q
does not need 6 cables to get 6 channels.

Q needs two coaxes, one for H polarized and one for V polarised, each
cable carries the entire 10.7 to 12.7GHz band, rather than selecting the
upper or lower "half" like a universal LNB does.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 16:01:26 -0000, wrote:

[...]

Surely the problem wasn't a lack of bandwidth (there were always hundreds of channels out there), but that the old LNBs couldn't handle the whole band at once.

The Sky Q LNB itself has two outputs which are not the same. One is a horizontal output and the other a vertical output.

Ah that makes sense, I guess they lose their polarization inside the cable.

Because the Sky Q system uses terrestrial space, it can't be diplexed with terrestrial tv on the same cable, it must have its own cables.

summarised from
https://www.smartaerials.co.uk/blog/...-universal-lnb

If it uses terrestrial space (I assume you mean the same frequencies as digital terrestrial TV), why don't they interfere in the air?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 17:21:54 -0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:

How does Sky Q get several channels through one cable?

I can't but a fibre LNB can do that (well one fibre for signal an a coax
for power)

It does, Sky Q boxes can pick up 7 channels simultaneously, through only two cables.

When Sky HD came
out, we had to add a second cable to the dish to get two channels. But Q
does not need 6 cables to get 6 channels.

Q needs two coaxes, one for H polarized and one for V polarised, each
cable carries the entire 10.7 to 12.7GHz band, rather than selecting the
upper or lower "half" like a universal LNB does.

So better LNBs then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 February 2020 18:27:45 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Surely the problem wasn't a lack of bandwidth (there were always hundreds
of channels out there), but that the old LNBs couldn't handle the whole band
at once.

Lack of bandwidth at the LNB IF output.

If it uses terrestrial space (I assume you mean the same frequencies as
digital terrestrial TV), why don't they interfere in the air?

Because the signal is at such low level it isn't radiated outside the coax?

Perhaps in some circs it would interfere in the air?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 18:27:42 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

snip

Ah that makes sense, I guess they lose their polarization inside the cable.

In that the LNB has converted the signal from unbound 'waves' with
polarity (horizontal, vertical, circular etc) to a straight electrical
signal (also waves of course) on / in a conductor (not wave guide)?

Cheers, T i m

..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You should only need two for all channels since there are only two possible
polarisations surely?

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
newsp.0f24wli7wdg98l@glass...
How does Sky Q get several channels through one cable? When Sky HD came
out, we had to add a second cable to the dish to get two channels. But Q
does not need 6 cables to get 6 channels.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

If that is true though, how come you do not get leakage either from
terrestrial to sat or the other way around which would screw up the one
most affected?
Brian

--
----- --

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Abnormal Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 14:51:42 -0000, Birdbrain Macaw (aka "Commander Kinsey",
"James Wilkinson", "Steven ******","Bruce Farquar", "Fred Johnson, etc.),
the pathological resident idiot and attention whore of all the uk ngs,
blathered again:

FLUSH the clinically insane sociopathic troll's latest attention-baiting
sick bull**** unread again

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to

--
Lewis about nym-shifting Birdbrain:
"Typical narcissist troll, thinks his **** is so grand he has the right to

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think more to the point is close in where people want to use both, nasty
sprogs and crossmod effects should wreak havoc, but seemingly do not, so I
guess they rely on the robust error checking of the digital systems. I have
a receiver that can cover from the top of dab to 2 gig, but surely this also
has the military air band in it?
Brian

--
----- --

newsp.0f3ewgnewdg98l@glass...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile ASSHOLE Alert!

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 17:21:54 +0000, Andy Burns, the notorious, troll-feeding
senile asshole, blathered again:

I can't but a fibre LNB can do that (well one fibre for signal an a coax
for power)

And senile idiot no.2 appeared to take the retarded troll's latest idiotic
bait! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:16:38 +0000, D i m, the absolutely brain dead
notorious troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered, yet again:

In that the LNB has converted the signal from unbound 'waves' with
polarity (horizontal, vertical, circular etc) to a straight electrical
signal (also waves of course) on / in a conductor (not wave guide)?

Cheers, T i m

And of course D i m himself was yet missing among the retarded senile
troll-feeding idiots to take the Scottish attention whore's latest idiotic
bait! LOL

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:16:38 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 18:27:42 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

snip

Ah that makes sense, I guess they lose their polarization inside the cable.

In that the LNB has converted the signal from unbound 'waves' with
polarity (horizontal, vertical, circular etc) to a straight electrical
signal (also waves of course) on / in a conductor (not wave guide)?

Yes. You can't polarize waves in a conductor, there is no up down left right.

I wonder, could we have diagonally polarized beams form the satellite? I'd guess no, as they'd be picked up at half power by horizontal and vertical receivers. There's probably countless more modulations to increase bandwidth, just look at the huge list of things they did with modem signals.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What? There are several hundred channels, and I might want to record say three of them. The old Sky boxes would only receive any two channels. Q will receive 7 (12 apparently, but the other 5 are reserved for technical stuff like red button and so on).

Oh I think I know what you mean. What you're saying is why didn't we only ever need two? I think the answer is the old LNBs couldn't get the whole band at once. So, better LNBs invented.

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:37:03 -0000, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

You should only need two for all channels since there are only two possible
polarisations surely?

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They should be called RLNB - for Really Low Noise Block down converter. But that's starting to sound like a cross between saving birds and drowning sailors.

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:46:50 -0000, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:

Differently designed ones perhaps, with a wide band output and lower noise.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:05:58 -0000, wrote:

On Sunday, 16 February 2020 18:27:45 UTC, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Surely the problem wasn't a lack of bandwidth (there were always hundreds
of channels out there), but that the old LNBs couldn't handle the whole band
at once.

Lack of bandwidth at the LNB IF output.

What I mean is I fail to see the connection between Sky getting hold of more frequencies and them being able to send more than two channels form your dish to your box. The extra channels at once is purely to do with better LNBs.

If it uses terrestrial space (I assume you mean the same frequencies as
digital terrestrial TV), why don't they interfere in the air?

Because the signal is at such low level it isn't radiated outside the coax?

Perhaps in some circs it would interfere in the air?

Yes I meant in the air. Yeah I guess if it's much weaker than terrestrial, then terrestrial aerials won't pick it up. And your dish won't pick up terrestrial as it's aimed into the sky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote

If Sky have use of the TV band, and so do terrestrial transmitters, I
don't see why they don't interfere.

You can't have two things on the same frequency.

You can actually, particularly with satellites where
you point the dish at the satellite you want to use.

wrote:

I think more to the point is close in where people want to use both,
nasty
sprogs and crossmod effects should wreak havoc, but seemingly do not, so
guess they rely on the robust error checking of the digital systems. I
have
a receiver that can cover from the top of dab to 2 gig, but surely this
also
has the military air band in it?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 20:21:03 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote

If Sky have use of the TV band, and so do terrestrial transmitters, I
don't see why they don't interfere.

You can't have two things on the same frequency.

You can actually, particularly with satellites where
you point the dish at the satellite you want to use.

Except in this case one of the two things isn't a satellite but is floating around everywhere, it's surprising the dish doesn't pick that up.

Assuming it doesn't, how come we haven't always been duplicating use of the UHF band like this?

wrote:

I think more to the point is close in where people want to use both,
nasty
sprogs and crossmod effects should wreak havoc, but seemingly do not, so
guess they rely on the robust error checking of the digital systems. I
have
a receiver that can cover from the top of dab to 2 gig, but surely this
also
has the military air band in it?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:44:13 -0000, Brainless & Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

I think

Don't senile idiot! Nothing good will come of it!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:46:50 -0000, Brainless Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

Differently designed ones perhaps, with a wide band output and lower noise.
Brainless

Oh, look, the blind senile cocksucker, too, wants to make the Scottish
******'s day! BG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:37:03 -0000, Brainless Daft, the notorious,
troll-feeding senile idiot, blathered again:

You should only need two for all channels since there are only two possible
polarisations surely?

Brainless

He needs not only two but LOTS of you senile idiots to keep sucking him off,
any time he wants to be sucked off by you cretins!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 20:06:50 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 19:16:38 -0000, T i m wrote:

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 18:27:42 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

snip

Ah that makes sense, I guess they lose their polarization inside the cable.

In that the LNB has converted the signal from unbound 'waves' with
polarity (horizontal, vertical, circular etc) to a straight electrical
signal (also waves of course) on / in a conductor (not wave guide)?

Yes. You can't polarize waves in a conductor, there is no up down left right.

Quite. ;-)

I wonder, could we have diagonally polarized beams form the satellite? I'd guess no, as they'd be picked up at half power by horizontal and vertical receivers.

I'm sure most good techniques have already been explored. ;-)

There's probably countless more modulations to increase bandwidth,

Increase the effective bandwidth?

just look at the huge list of things they did with modem signals.

Yeah. Again, especially if you only have the spectrum of 300 Hz to
3.3KHz (or whatever a voice line is / was). ;-)

My first exposure to modems was 300 baud jobbys with BT (well, 'The
Post Office, Datel Div). They were about the same size of an old IBM
PC! and actually had a MOdulator and DE-Modulator in different
modules. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 20:45:18 +0000, D i m, the absolutely brain dead
notorious troll-feeding senile asshole, blathered, yet again:

Cheers, T i m

You cheer EVERY time the troll offers you to suck him off, eh, senile D i m?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 07:21 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost SIX HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 07:21:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the two clinically insane sociopath's latest troll****

--
Another typical retarded conversation between our two village idiots,
Birdbrain and Rodent Speed:

Birdbrain: "You beat me to it. Plain sex is boring."

Senile Rodent: "Then **** the cats. That wont be boring."

Birdbrain: "Sell me a de-clawing tool first."

Senile Rodent: "Wont help with the teeth."

Birdbrain: "They've never gone for me with their mouths."

Rodent Speed: "They will if you are stupid enough to try ****ing them."

Birdbrain: "No, they always use claws."

Rodent Speed: "They wont if you try ****ing them. Try it and see."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote:
How does Sky Q get several channels through one cable? When Sky HD
came out, we had to add a second cable to the dish to get two
channels. But Q does not need 6 cables to get 6 channels

Yet another trolling post from phucker. He will have a wank over every
reply.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Commander Kinsey wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

If Sky have use of the TV band, and so do terrestrial transmitters, I
don't see why they don't interfere.

You can't have two things on the same frequency.

You can actually, particularly with satellites where
you point the dish at the satellite you want to use.

Except in this case one of the two things isn't a satellite but is
floating around everywhere, it's surprising the dish doesn't pick that up.

Its not surprising at all, dishes are very directional.

Assuming it doesn't,

Its not an assumption.

how come we haven't always been duplicating use of the UHF band like this?

Satellites are much higher freq than the terrestrial UHF channels.

wrote:

I think more to the point is close in where people want to use both,
nasty
sprogs and crossmod effects should wreak havoc, but seemingly do not,
so
guess they rely on the robust error checking of the digital systems. I
have
a receiver that can cover from the top of dab to 2 gig, but surely this
also
has the military air band in it?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 21:04:51 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote:
How does Sky Q get several channels through one cable? When Sky HD
came out, we had to add a second cable to the dish to get two
channels. But Q does not need 6 cables to get 6 channels

Yet another trolling post from phucker. He will have a wank over every
reply.

Or maybe I just wanted to know. Some of us have minds that like information. Your mind is that of a simpleton.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 21:05:08 -0000, Rod Speed wrote:

Commander Kinsey wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Commander Kinsey wrote

If Sky have use of the TV band, and so do terrestrial transmitters, I
don't see why they don't interfere.

You can't have two things on the same frequency.

You can actually, particularly with satellites where
you point the dish at the satellite you want to use.

Except in this case one of the two things isn't a satellite but is
floating around everywhere, it's surprising the dish doesn't pick that up.

Its not surprising at all, dishes are very directional.

Assuming it doesn't,

Its not an assumption.

how come we haven't always been duplicating use of the UHF band like this?

Satellites are much higher freq than the terrestrial UHF channels.

I've just been told Sky now use the UHF band aswell.

wrote:

I think more to the point is close in where people want to use both,
nasty
sprogs and crossmod effects should wreak havoc, but seemingly do not,
so
guess they rely on the robust error checking of the digital systems. I
have
a receiver that can cover from the top of dab to 2 gig, but surely this
also
has the military air band in it?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:05 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for almost SEVEN HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 08:05:08 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH sick troll****

--
Another typical retarded "conversation" between Birdbrain and senile Rodent:

Senile Rodent: " Did you ever dig a hole to bury your own ****?"

Birdbrain: "I do if there's no flush toilet around."

Senile Rodent: "Yeah, I prefer camping like that, off by myself with
no dunnys around and have always buried the ****."

MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You should only need two for all channels since there are only two possible
polarisations surely?

Brian

It's only sky that needs two cables. Other wideband (unicable) LNBs
connected to the appropriate tuners only require a single cable, and the
signal can be split.

https://www.inverto.tv/lnb/186/progr...lnb-with-24-ub

Because these unicable LNBs don't steal the DAB/UHF frequencies it's
possible to combine the signals from terrestrial and satellite in the
same cable.

The cynic in me says Sky have adopted a bespoke system to tie people
into their Q service. Its no longer just a matter of swapping out a box
at the end of the cable as can be done with a "traditional" LNB.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 16 Feb 2020 22:39:18 -0000, alan_m wrote:

You should only need two for all channels since there are only two possible
polarisations surely?

It's only sky that needs two cables. Other wideband (unicable) LNBs
connected to the appropriate tuners only require a single cable, and the
signal can be split.

How do they put H and V polarized channels onto the same cable?

https://www.inverto.tv/lnb/186/progr...lnb-with-24-ub

Because these unicable LNBs don't steal the DAB/UHF frequencies it's

It's not stealing, it's making use of them.

possible to combine the signals from terrestrial and satellite in the same cable.

Why on earth would you want to do that? I have an aerial and a Sky dish, I have a cable from each. I'd never have thought of trying to cram both signals onto one, then trying to split them at the other end. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

The cynic in me says Sky have adopted a bespoke system to tie people
into their Q service. Its no longer just a matter of swapping out a box
at the end of the cable as can be done with a "traditional" LNB.

If I wanted to stop Sky, I'd just change the LNB back to whatever was needed by the new service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 00:24:22 -0000, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

snip

How do they put H and V polarized channels onto the same cable?

Different frequencies, modulation, multiplexing and others (I
suspect). [1]

https://www.inverto.tv/lnb/186/progr...lnb-with-24-ub

Because these unicable LNBs don't steal the DAB/UHF frequencies it's

It's not stealing, it's making use of them.

Only if you don't destroy them if present?

possible to combine the signals from terrestrial and satellite in the same cable.

Why on earth would you want to do that? I have an aerial and a Sky dish, I have a cable from each. I'd never have thought of trying to cram both signals onto one, then trying to split them at the other end. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

Depends how big the block of flats you are distributing such signals
to. ;-)

The cynic in me says Sky have adopted a bespoke system to tie people
into their Q service. Its no longer just a matter of swapping out a box
at the end of the cable as can be done with a "traditional" LNB.

If I wanted to stop Sky, I'd just change the LNB back to whatever was needed by the new service.

'Just' may not be so easy if it's on the roof or a 3rd+ floor flat and
assuming your replacement LNB fitted the bracket etc?

Cheers, T i m

[1] Over 40 years ago I was bench repairing TDM and PCM equipment (BT)
that put say ~30 simultaneous telephone calls down one pair of copper
wire. And later (Different Co) kit that would often 'effectively'
compress 4 x 48K datalinks into 1 x 48k link. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/02/2020 00:24, Commander Kinsey wrote:
[...]

We have four cables from the LNB and one (combined) from the terrestrial
aerial and FM aerial (on the same pole). The signals are fed into a
multiswitch under the floor and two cables feed to each room in the
house. One cable caries satellite only, the other carries satellite,
terrestrial TV and FM radio - the standard (quadplex) faceplate splits
the signals to separate connectors. A simple and effective way to
distribute various signals around the house, without too many cables.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

possible to combine the signals from terrestrial and satellite in the same cable.

Why on earth would you want to do that? I have an aerial and a Sky dish, I have a cable from each. I'd never have thought of trying to cram both signals onto one, then trying to split them at the other end. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

Depends how big the block of flats you are distributing such signals
to. ;-)

I have a quad LNB, A roof mounted UHF aerial and loft mounted DAB
aerial. I have a distribution box in my loft. 3 rooms get DAB/UHF and
satellite via 1 cable to each room. 1 of the rooms also gets a second
satellite signal via a second coax cable.

All this was installed before Unicable LNBs, boxes with FBC tuners and
wi-fi distribution around the house was common place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 17 Feb 2020 00:55:37 -0000, Steve Walker wrote:

[...]

If you're running the cables in the same direction anyway, easier to have more cables than **** about with fancy boxes.

You'll be telling me you prefer the old ethernet system next, where one coax cable ran round the whole building.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

possible to combine the signals from terrestrial and satellite in the same cable.

Why on earth would you want to do that? I have an aerial and a Sky dish, I have a cable from each. I'd never have thought of trying to cram both signals onto one, then trying to split them at the other end. Sounds like a lot of hassle to me.

Depends how big the block of flats you are distributing such signals
to. ;-)

I have a quad LNB, A roof mounted UHF aerial and loft mounted DAB
aerial. I have a distribution box in my loft. 3 rooms get DAB/UHF and
satellite via 1 cable to each room. 1 of the rooms also gets a second
satellite signal via a second coax cable.

All this was installed before Unicable LNBs, boxes with FBC tuners and
wi-fi distribution around the house was common place.

And then something changes and you find you have to re-cable. Is it really so hard to run two cables in the same route?