Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Radio Shack antenna and new HDTV doesn't receive many channels anymore

Hi,

I bought a $32 Rad-Shack Digital antenna to use with my new Sharp 46"
HCTV. For 2 days I picked up many channels and the reception was
awesome. Suddenly it stopped receiving all of the channels, and now
only picks up 3 with poor quality. I took the TV to the basement
analog TV and it worked fine down there in a hole.

I also have a new problem at the same time with my laptops not getting
wireless reception upstairs in our living area. The wireless router is
downstairs in the basement and the upstairs reception was awesome
before this last week.

I've been told the weather could do it, but we've had clear days.

I recently added a cat5 cable from the basement to an upstairs bedroom
to replace a bad/old cat 5 cable, as well as added a Yamaha receiver
and Bose speaker system. I've unplugged both and have found no
improvement in TV or wireless.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 10:02�pm, wallymcdoogle wrote:
[...]

digital tv can be greatky effected by a variety of weather issues.

why not return antenna to radio shack and try another one? since its
new
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 28, 8:21Â*am, " wrote:
[...]

new- Hide quoted text -

Go to www.antennaweb.org. They have a utility where you can put in
your address and it will show the transmitters, angle, distance and
recommend what antenna is appropriate. Obviously there is a big
difference where the transmitter is 4 miles away vs 40. Also, I'd
check with neighbors as to what kind of antennas they have. If they
are using large outside ones and you're attempting to use a small
inside one, then that could be an issue.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 27, 11:02*pm, wallymcdoogle wrote:
Hi,

I bought a $32 Rad-Shack Digital antenna to use with my new Sharp 46"
HCTV. For 2 days I picked up many channels and the reception was
awesome.

First off, there's no such thing as a "digital antenna". Digital TV
broadcasts are sent on the same old frequency range as analog, hence
the need to turn analog off in 2009. Most of the digital channels
are in the UHF band.

So not knowing the specific model of your antenna (rabbit ears, out
doors, etc?), it's hard to diagnose your problem. More info would
help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"wallymcdoogle" wrote in message
Hi,

I bought a $32 Rad-Shack Digital antenna to use with my new Sharp 46"
HCTV. For 2 days I picked up many channels and the reception was
awesome. Suddenly it stopped receiving all of the channels, and now
only picks up 3 with poor quality. I took the TV to the basement
analog TV and it worked fine down there in a hole.

Did you really take the TV to the basement or did you take the antenna?
If the analog TV worked using the antenna, but your new TV doesn't then your
new TV has a problem.
If that is so, call for a warantee repair.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:02:05 -0700 (PDT), wallymcdoogle
wrote:

Hi,

I bought a $32 Rad-Shack Digital antenna to use with my new Sharp 46"
HCTV. For 2 days I picked up many channels and the reception was
awesome. Suddenly it stopped receiving all of the channels, and now
only picks up 3 with poor quality. I took the TV to the basement
analog TV and it worked fine down there in a hole.

If the antenna works with the analog tv, which I'm also guessing you
meant, Charlie is right.

If not:
I don't know what you get for 32 dollars these days, but if it's an
amplified antenna, you can use a voltmeter to measure the output of
the power supply. It should be 6 volts or more. That's about all the
testing you can do.

If the antenna isn't amplified, I'd look for something phyically
broken, so I could show it to the store, but I'd exchange it whether I
could find something broken or not.

I also have a new problem at the same time with my laptops not getting
wireless reception upstairs in our living area. The wireless router is
downstairs in the basement and the upstairs reception was awesome
before this last week.

I would take the laptop to the basement and see if it works there,
then watch the signal strength as you carry it upstairs. If it's
windows there's probably an icon in the systray that will start the
wireless software display, including the signal strength screen.