Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Oil boiler

Hi my outside oil boiler is sooting up and locking out in bad weather, could
this be because wind blowing around flue. had a service about month ago. I can
get it going when I clean photocell but have to do this every other day.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...r-1407461-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 17:14:02 +0000, Gav
m wrote:

Hi my outside oil boiler is sooting up and locking out in bad weather, could
this be because wind blowing around flue. had a service about month ago. I can
get it going when I clean photocell but have to do this every other day.

Ours is indoors. It has had short periods of locking up over the last
2 years. The engineer suggested wind direction among other reasons.
However, about 10 days ago it started locking out twice and even three
times a day. We now have a new "oil pump" (I'm no techie so that's
what he said). The cynic in me has been wondering whether he's under
instructions to minimise his spend on spares for people (like me) on a
contract.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 17:14, Gav wrote:
Hi my outside oil boiler is sooting up and locking out in bad
weather, could this be because wind blowing around flue.

Yes.

had a
service about month ago. I can get it going when I clean photocell
but have to do this every other day.

It's very bad for boilers in these winds. Mine does te same occasionally
but oddly not when the wind is from the direction it has been blowing from.

--
In todays liberal progressive conflict-free education system, everyone
gets full Marx.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 17:14, Gav wrote:
Hi my outside oil boiler is sooting up and locking out in bad
weather, could this be because wind blowing around flue.

Yes.

had a
service about month ago. I can get it going when I clean photocell
but have to do this every other day.

It's very bad for boilers in these winds. Mine does te same occasionally
but oddly not when the wind is from the direction it has been blowing from.

It would depend on the flue arrangements.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 17:14:02 +0000, Gav wrote:

Home owners clud so I'm probably wasting my time...

Hi my outside oil boiler is sooting up and locking out in bad weather,
could this be because wind blowing around flue. had a service about
month ago. I can get it going when I clean photocell but have to do this
every other day.

Did it lock out in bad weather before the service?

Your should be able to peer through a small hole and see the flame,
it should be mainly blue.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 20:21, Michael Chare wrote:
On 11/02/2020 17:14, Gav wrote:
Hi my outside oil boiler is sooting up and locking out in bad
weather, could this be because wind blowing around flue.

Yes.

had a
service about month ago. I can get it going when I clean photocell
but have to do this every other day.

It's very bad for boilers in these winds. Mine does te same
occasionally but oddly not when the wind is from the direction it has
been blowing from.

It would depend on the flue arrangements.

Of course. It is a ground level balanced flue exiting into what is
pretty much a wind tunnel between teh hiuse and a hedge, aligned NE/SW..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 17:14, Gav wrote:
Hi my outside oil boiler is sooting up and locking out in bad weather,
could
this be because wind blowing around flue. had a service about month ago.
I can
get it going when I clean photocell but have to do this every other day.

High winds from the wrong direction can do it, but if it is doing it
more often than that or on first morning lighting then there may be an
underlying oil leak fault that needs attention.

If it is routinely locking out in normal weather then there is something
definitely wrong. It has been *very* windy just lately.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it's sooting up the photocell on a regular basis it will also be sooting up the boiler flueways and will pretty soon need another service. Who carried out the service and how thorough was he/she?
Did you get flue gas analysis details on the service report and if so what were they?
What make/model of boiler is it, what make and model of burner is fitted and does it have a balanced flue or simply a low level discharge flue?