Old February 10th 20, 09:27 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default A bit windy

On 10/02/2020 20:00, Chris J Dixon wrote:
ARW wrote:

The Fiat was fine until I turned left at this roundabout and the winds
hit me sideways on.

https://goo.gl/maps/5ggwKnXVaZM78NeYA

At one point I nearly go up to 30MPH!

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

I used to do the Woodhead quite often. Several years ago very reflective
red strips were added to the Armco.

--
Adam

Old February 10th 20, 10:56 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 February 2020 20:00:52 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

Chris

I'm sure it was nowhere near as exposed as that, but I did actually go out on my bike for a ride today. Was jolly hard work on the outward part, but did indeed whizz along at about 30 on the way back with very little effort.

Enjoyable.

Luckily I got back well before the rain/hail/sleet burst.
Old February 11th 20, 12:41 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 20:00:45 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

snip

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50.

My (first) Mrs had the Honda C50 LA, a fully automatic 3 speed (step
through) that looked very much like the straight Honda C50. I think I
can remember riding a C50 (or it could have been a C70) but not owning
one. I did have a Yamaha T80 Townmate (shaft drive, 4sp, step-through)
and that was perfect around town, or, if you could get there, the
country lanes. ;-)

There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

When motorcycle camping to Lands End [1] with the family (3 of us, two
bikes) there was a photo collage of all the 'End to Enders' and the
happiest bunch by far were half a dozen or so lads that had done it on
Honda 50's. ;-)

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

Yeah, I've thought similar ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

[1] London, New Forest, St Austell (LE and back for a day trip, Eden
Project and the Bovingdon Tank Museum?), Cardiff, Porthmadog, Malvern
Wells and back to London.
Old February 11th 20, 07:03 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51433720

--
Adam
Old February 11th 20, 07:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 06:03:03 +0000, ARW wrote:

[...]

The clip of the 'plane from China landing on Sunday was 'interesting' - the
pilot did a superb job of controlling it and the little
wobbles/swerves/bounces were fascinating to watch.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Old February 11th 20, 09:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Monday, 10 February 2020 20:00:52 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

I'm sure it was nowhere near as exposed as that,

https://goo.gl/maps/1BHJP4F63nw1XtMj9

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Old February 11th 20, 11:52 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working when
you don't expect it.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old February 11th 20, 12:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working when
you don't expect it.

Not necessarily.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Old February 11th 20, 01:01 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working when
you don't expect it.

I just leave the switch on "auto"...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Old February 11th 20, 02:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/02/2020 06:54, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Viral marketting :-)