Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default A bit windy

On 11/02/2020 20:12, ARW wrote:
On 11/02/2020 08:08, Chris J Dixon wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Monday, 10 February 2020 20:00:52 UTC, Chris J DixonÂ* wrote:

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

I'm sure it was nowhere near as exposed as that,

https://goo.gl/maps/1BHJP4F63nw1XtMj9

Now the strips are white.

I am sure they were red when the Armco was on my left on the way out to
Manchester.

Likely dual sided reflective markings. They stick out from the barriers
like little flags with red on one side and white on the other. They
look like stripes when you drive past - red to mark the left hand edge
of a road as usual. I expect your Fiat will give you a chance to
examine them i.d.c. as you stand behind the Armco waiting for the
recovery

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

Now the strips are white.

I am sure they were red when the Armco was on my left on the way out to
Manchester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqOX4VvIL0o

Perhaps they are cleverly arranged to show red on the left and
white on the right? Which would be correct.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:

Mondeo - if you leave the wiper controls in any operating
position, they will resume when you turn on.

Would you normally leave the wipers on when you switch off - except for
perhaps the auto setting?

Mine are generally left on auto.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:00:32 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the
traffic pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know
where the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them

working
when you don't expect it.

Not necessarily.

Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up,
with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Hope that car never goes through an auto car wash. ;-)

No need the rain and gale force winds keep it clean. Anyway one would
soon switch 'em off, well before the rollers got anywhere near the
screen/wipers.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up,
with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it the
norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd always
switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless you like
them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

--
*I didn't like my beard at first. Then it grew on me.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 11:15:51 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start

up,
with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it the
norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd always
switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless you like
them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

When in auto they only wipe when the "rain" sensor in conjuction with
an adjustable sensitivity control say so. Works very well nearly all
the time, ie it wipes in light rain marginally before I think "must
wipe the screen". Also automatically wipes the spray from an oncoming
vehicle or splash from a big puddle, using anything from a single
wipe to flat out. I rarely ever use anything but off and auto and off
is only to avoid occasional unexpected wipes.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2020 12:20, Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Same on my XF except it is not that happy to start like that from cold.
Sometimes I reset it to 'auto' to force the mode.

its shoes.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Ah - neither of mine was very recent. Last one on an 2011 car. And it
never seemed to do exactly as I wanted despite fiddling with the
sensitivity control. Only thing did find great was it changing
automatically from normal slow speed to auto when you came to a halt, as
in traffic.

--
*Fax is stronger than fiction *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
When in auto they only wipe when the "rain" sensor in conjuction with
an adjustable sensitivity control say so. Works very well nearly all
the time, ie it wipes in light rain marginally before I think "must
wipe the screen". Also automatically wipes the spray from an oncoming
vehicle or splash from a big puddle, using anything from a single
wipe to flat out. I rarely ever use anything but off and auto and off
is only to avoid occasional unexpected wipes.

Same on my XF except it is not that happy to start like that from cold.
Sometimes I reset it to 'auto' to force the mode.

What I'm talking about? Only works from a cold start when reset? Covered
in the handbook?

--
*Of course I'm against sin; I'm against anything that I'm too old to enjoy.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up,
with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it the
norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd always
switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless you like
them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking after youve
turned the ignition off.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

The Fiat switches to intermittent the wipers are running at normal speed
when you stop and if in intermittent mode they turn to off when you stop.

No matter the setting of the wipers they will not move after an engine
restart until you touch the stalk.

Although sometimes you have to put your foot on the brake to stop the
wipers after you have turned the engine off:-) ISTR that's usually on
Wednesdays.

--

Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up,
with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it the
norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd always
switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless you like
them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

I managed to do it yesterday. I stopped at home with
the wipers on intermittent and had them move on a
dry screen the next day when I went out again yesterday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up,
with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it the
norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd always
switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless you like
them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

I used to switch off with them vertical when in a car wash, but my
current and previous car both park(ed) the wipers when switching the
ignition off.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up,
with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it the
norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd always
switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless you like
them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

I used to switch off with them vertical when in a car wash, but my
current and previous car both park(ed) the wipers when switching the
ignition off.

Many cars have a €œservice parking position€ that parks the wipers
vertically for blade changes. On our Yeti (and I bet all VW/Audi/etc
variants), you flick the wiper stalk within a few seconds of turning the
ignition off.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 06:18:27 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I managed to do it yesterday.

NOBODY gives a ****, senile cretin!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 19:32:13 +0000, Steve Walker wrote:

I used to switch off with them vertical when in a car wash, but my
current and previous car both park(ed) the wipers when switching the
ignition off.

Problem now is that car washes (well, the ones I use) tell you to keep
the engine running for keyless ignition.

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

Problem now is that car washes (well, the ones I use) tell you to keep
the engine running for keyless ignition.

I can't quite see why they would do that.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/02/2020 19:48, Tim+ wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
[...]

Probably only for those cars where the normal park position is below
bonnet height though?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 21:18:23 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

Problem now is that car washes (well, the ones I use) tell you to keep
the engine running for keyless ignition.

I can't quite see why they would do that.

Because when the ignition is off, the steering locks. No key to remove,
which is the normal mechanism for a steering lock.

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up,
with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it the
norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd always
switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless you like
them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking after youve
turned the ignition off.

Tim

Such innovation obviously hadn't reached LR Defender by 2010.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12 Feb 2020 22:26:53 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Problem now is that car washes (well, the ones I use) tell you to

keep
the engine running for keyless ignition.

I can't quite see why they would do that.

Because when the ignition is off, the steering locks. No key to remove,
which is the normal mechanism for a steering lock.

Why is the steering lock a problem? Quite possibly car washes have
moved on since the last time I used one...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 23:21:54 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 12 Feb 2020 22:26:53 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Problem now is that car washes (well, the ones I use) tell you to

keep
the engine running for keyless ignition.

I can't quite see why they would do that.

Because when the ignition is off, the steering locks. No key to remove,
which is the normal mechanism for a steering lock.

Why is the steering lock a problem? Quite possibly car washes have moved
on since the last time I used one...

Unless the vehicle is driven into the track *absolutely* straight, the
rear wheel doesn't follow into the track (there's only a track on one
side). In practice, the vehicle needs to pivot a bit round the front
wheel that's in the track.

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 23:21:54 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 12 Feb 2020 22:26:53 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Problem now is that car washes (well, the ones I use) tell you to

keep
the engine running for keyless ignition.

I can't quite see why they would do that.

Because when the ignition is off, the steering locks. No key to remove,
which is the normal mechanism for a steering lock.

Why is the steering lock a problem? Quite possibly car washes have moved
on since the last time I used one...

Unless the vehicle is driven into the track *absolutely* straight, the
rear wheel doesn't follow into the track (there's only a track on one
side). In practice, the vehicle needs to pivot a bit round the front
wheel that's in the track.

That doesn't sound anything like a car wash I have been in. Any
links?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 07:58:33 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 12 Feb 2020 23:21:54 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On 12 Feb 2020 22:26:53 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Problem now is that car washes (well, the ones I use) tell you to
keep
the engine running for keyless ignition.

I can't quite see why they would do that.

Because when the ignition is off, the steering locks. No key to
remove,
which is the normal mechanism for a steering lock.

Why is the steering lock a problem? Quite possibly car washes have
moved on since the last time I used one...

Unless the vehicle is driven into the track *absolutely* straight, the
rear wheel doesn't follow into the track (there's only a track on one
side). In practice, the vehicle needs to pivot a bit round the front
wheel that's in the track.

That doesn't sound anything like a car wash I have been in. Any links?

Here's a video, but you don't really see the track:

https://youtu.be/DkGL5eCNbxM

Here's a promotional one, watch from 4:00 -

https://youtu.be/_Gn2MGF_sDc

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ1 a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start
up, with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it
the norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd
always switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless
you like them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking after
you‘ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars are
never new. ;-)

--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Ah - neither of mine was very recent. Last one on an 2011 car. And it
never seemed to do exactly as I wanted despite fiddling with the
sensitivity control. Only thing did find great was it changing
automatically from normal slow speed to auto when you came to a halt, as
in traffic.

The Fiat switches to intermittent the wipers are running at normal speed
when you stop and if in intermittent mode they turn to off when you stop.

No matter the setting of the wipers they will not move after an engine
restart until you touch the stalk.

That seems to me the sensible way. Prevents them triggering when you may
not want them to.

--
*If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On 12 Feb 2020 22:26:53 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

Problem now is that car washes (well, the ones I use) tell you to

keep
the engine running for keyless ignition.

I can't quite see why they would do that.

Because when the ignition is off, the steering locks. No key to remove,
which is the normal mechanism for a steering lock.

Why is the steering lock a problem? Quite possibly car washes have
moved on since the last time I used one...

Some types of car wash pull the car through the brushes rather than the
brushes moving past the car. Although I've not seen those for a while. Not
that I ever use an auto car wash these days anyway. They all scratch the
paint to a greater or lesser degree. And put bl**dy wax on the screen.

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start
up, with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it
the norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd
always switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless
you like them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking after
you‘ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars are
never new. ;-)

I had it once years ago, possibly Peugeot 505; I don't think it was my
Cortina

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 07:58:33 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

That doesn't sound anything like a car wash I have been in. Any links?

Here's a video, but you don't really see the track:

https://youtu.be/DkGL5eCNbxM

Here's a promotional one, watch from 4:00 -

https://youtu.be/_Gn2MGF_sDc

OK I understand. I can see they can shift far more than the old
moving arch type, but need staff in attendance.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 14:40:05 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 07:58:33 +0000, Chris J Dixon wrote:

That doesn't sound anything like a car wash I have been in. Any links?

Here's a video, but you don't really see the track:

https://youtu.be/DkGL5eCNbxM

Here's a promotional one, watch from 4:00 -

https://youtu.be/_Gn2MGF_sDc

OK I understand. I can see they can shift far more than the old moving
arch type, but need staff in attendance.

Indeed. Typically just two staff, and they do the pre-wash, wheels etc.
as well.

wish to copy them they can pay me ÂŁ1 a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
bert wrote:
In article
,
Tim+ writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start
up, with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it
the norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd
always switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway.
Unless you like them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking after
you‘ve turned the ignition off.

Tim

Such innovation obviously hadn't reached LR Defender by 2010.

I'd not be happy with such an arrangement. If the wipers jammed or
stalled, there would be no easy way of stopping the volts to the motor.
Which could burn out and even cause a fire (unlikely).

*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking

after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

In article ,
ARW wrote:
Ah - neither of mine was very recent. Last one on an 2011 car. And it
never seemed to do exactly as I wanted despite fiddling with the
sensitivity control. Only thing did find great was it changing
automatically from normal slow speed to auto when you came to a halt, as
in traffic.

The Fiat switches to intermittent the wipers are running at normal speed
when you stop and if in intermittent mode they turn to off when you stop.

No matter the setting of the wipers they will not move after an engine
restart until you touch the stalk.

That seems to me the sensible way. Prevents them triggering when you may
not want them to.

That would be due to ice in my case last week.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Tim+ wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start
up, with no action by the driver?

Freelander II. Wipers stay in the mode selected (off, auto, on,
fast). So left in auto they can trigger unexpectedly.

Yes. That's why I expected the arrangment on the cars I had with it
the norm. H&S often taking precedence over convenience. Although I'd
always switch off the wipers before stopping the engine anyway. Unless
you like them parked in the middle of the screen. ;-)

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking after
you€˜ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars are
never new. ;-)

Definitely on my current car (8 year old Zafira) and my previous one
(2005 Focus).

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 16:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking

after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Both my current previous cars will park the wipers if you switch right
off - and even remove the key.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/02/2020 23:28, Steve Walker wrote:
On 13/02/2020 16:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking

after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Both my current previous cars will park the wipers if you switch right
off - and even remove the key.

I dont think my car ever switches 'off'

The alarm and the locks are alway running and the stuff that detects the
smart key.

And the interior lights and so on.

SteveW

--
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over
the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that

Frédéric Bastiat
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking

after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Quite. But there will always be makers who think they know better.

--
*Home cooking. Where many a man thinks his wife is.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Steve Walker
writes
On 13/02/2020 16:04, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking

after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Both my current previous cars will park the wipers if you switch right
off - and even remove the key.

SteveW

Then what did they do with the keys?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking

after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Quite. But there will always be makers who think they know better.

Well in the electronic age they have a new toy to play with and gadgetry
seems to be the new L GL GLS badge.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:51:02 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wipers have long had an unswitched power feed to allow parking
after
you ve turned the ignition off.

Really? Again, which makes? I've not had that on any car. But my cars
are never new. ;-)

Not known the wipers to be on a totaly unswitched feed. "Accessory"
position of a traditional ignition key on the other hand. As in
"Off", "Accessory", "Run" and "Start".

Quite. But there will always be makers who think they know better.

Well in the electronic age they have a new toy to play with and gadgetry
seems to be the new L GL GLS badge.

I'm happy with gadgets. But not when they do something that looks like it
could be dangerous to me.

--
*When the going gets tough, use duct tape