DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   A bit windy (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/644461-bit-windy.html)

ARW February 9th 20 09:02 PM

A bit windy

Call out this morning.

Not only did the ladders manage to slide across the roof bars (and I
fitted them properly) the roof popped off it's brackets and the
dashboard kept saying that the drivers door was open.

Now the drivers door was taking the brunt of the force so why would it
say that one was open?

--
Adam

polygonum_on_google[_2_] February 9th 20 09:45 PM

A bit windy

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 20:02:46 UTC, ARW wrote:
Call out this morning.

Not only did the ladders manage to slide across the roof bars (and I
fitted them properly) the roof popped off it's brackets and the
dashboard kept saying that the drivers door was open.

Now the drivers door was taking the brunt of the force so why would it
say that one was open?

Amazingly enough, so far, not even a plant pot has blown over. Yet two or three have tipped up more than once on previous occasions.

Made sure the bird feeder was put down yesterday, it is asking a lot for that to stay standing.

So just the lid of a bin and the paper recycling box got blown off. My, we have been lucky.

ARW February 9th 20 09:59 PM

A bit windy

On 09/02/2020 20:45, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 9 February 2020 20:02:46 UTC, ARW wrote:
Call out this morning.

Not only did the ladders manage to slide across the roof bars (and I
fitted them properly) the roof popped off it's brackets and the
dashboard kept saying that the drivers door was open.

Now the drivers door was taking the brunt of the force so why would it
say that one was open?

Amazingly enough, so far, not even a plant pot has blown over. Yet two or three have tipped up more than once on previous occasions.

Made sure the bird feeder was put down yesterday, it is asking a lot for that to stay standing.

So just the lid of a bin and the paper recycling box got blown off. My, we have been lucky.

I did not have a problem on the A628 this only started when I turned off
onto the A629.

--
Adam

GB February 9th 20 10:17 PM

A bit windy

On 09/02/2020 20:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

Sorry that your Fiat is doing what Fiats do.

The wind took our recycling bin right round the corner and started to
disburse the contents. The neighbours were treated to the sight of my
wife and me (only partly dressed) running around after yogurt pots and
cardboard boxes.

It's exciting he the local swimming pool has lost its roof.
https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/splash-...iara-1-6505757

It must have been properly exciting for the people in the pool at the time.

Rod Speed February 9th 20 10:59 PM

A bit windy

"ARW" wrote in message
Call out this morning.

Not only did the ladders manage to slide across the roof bars (and I
fitted them properly) the roof popped off it's brackets and the dashboard
kept saying that the drivers door was open.

Now the drivers door was taking the brunt of the force so why would it say
that one was open?

Presumably, given that its a Fiat, the door
open sensor is badly located and is barely
switching when the door is closed and the
movement of the door in the wind is enough
to vary that switch and the software is too
stupid to notice it keeps changing.

Bob Eager[_7_] February 9th 20 11:09 PM

A bit windy

On Sun, 09 Feb 2020 21:17:55 +0000, GB wrote:

The wind took our recycling bin right round the corner and started to
disburse the contents. The neighbours were treated to the sight of my
wife and me (only partly dressed) running around after yogurt pots and
cardboard boxes.

Our wheelie bin toured the garden. On its wheels.

[email protected] February 9th 20 11:22 PM

A bit windy

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 20:02:46 UTC, ARW wrote:
Call out this morning.

Guests in The Bridge House, Hawick, didn't get their Sunday morning lie-in.

Not sure why the fire alarms started when the wall fell into the river.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...storm-21463013

Owain

Peeler[_4_] February 9th 20 11:53 PM

Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 08:59:59 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Not only did the ladders manage to slide across the roof bars (and I
fitted them properly) the roof popped off it's brackets and the dashboard
kept saying that the drivers door was open.

Now the drivers door was taking the brunt of the force so why would it say
that one was open?

Presumably, given that its a Fiat, the door
open sensor is badly located and is barely
switching when the door is closed and the
movement of the door in the wind is enough
to vary that switch and the software is too
stupid to notice it keeps changing.

You are certainly too stupid to notice what a senile pest you are, senile
Rodent!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"

T i m February 10th 20 12:02 AM

A bit windy

On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 21:17:55 +0000, GB
wrote:

snip

The wind took our recycling bin right round the corner and started to
disburse the contents.

It took all of (3 of) ours but I believe they were empty. ;-)

The neighbours were treated to the sight of my
wife and me (only partly dressed) running around after yogurt pots and
cardboard boxes.

Hehe. Mine was a sedated walk fully dressed as they were wedged in
various places down the side road. ;-)

The already aging motorcycle cover seems to have given up and is now
hanging on the bike in shreds. It seems to have had a red lining that
was at the time I looked, spread all over the bike like a layer of
dust (a bit like War of the worlds g). I'm guessing the subsequent
deluges have washed it all off the now mostly uncovered bike.

Cheers, T i m

harry February 10th 20 08:17 AM

A bit windy

On Sunday, 9 February 2020 21:17:59 UTC, GB wrote:
On 09/02/2020 20:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

Err... A single roof window????

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) February 10th 20 08:36 AM

A bit windy

Suction probably. if a window is open in such a high wind perhaps.
It was certainly not the sort of weather to be climbing up ladders, and
there does seem to be a lot of reports of unsafe scaffolding during the day
yesterday. I mean anything that can large old trees has to be a force to be
reckoned with.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Marland February 10th 20 09:47 AM

A bit windy

GB wrote:

The wind took our recycling bin right round the corner and started to
disburse the contents. The neighbours were treated to the sight of my
wife and me (only partly dressed) running around after yogurt pots and
cardboard boxes.

At least you have the decency to retrieve it, my 90 year old widowed
mother moved into a small development of small modern houses when she sold
the farm.
It is a proper windtrap and neighbours recycling boxes and contents
regularly for a trip down the road even in moderate conditions, the small
size of the properties means many keep the box on the small frontage by the
door rather than inside. You would think reasonably intelligent people like
teachers and other professionals would learn after the first time their
box gets emptied and moved but they dont care. Instead the rubbish and
boxes pile up behind a small wall on my mothers property.
Now on my monthly welfare visit I clean it up but no longer return the
boxes , they come home here 200 miles away to Hampshire where we use them
in the garden for various purposes like growing spuds . Got 5 so far and
apparently another is waiting to be tidied up.

GH

GB February 10th 20 09:58 AM

A bit windy

On 09/02/2020 20:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

They are not used to excitement round here!

charles February 10th 20 10:11 AM

A bit windy

In article ,
wrote:
On Sunday, 9 February 2020 20:02:46 UTC, ARW wrote:
Call out this morning.

Guests in The Bridge House, Hawick, didn't get their Sunday morning lie-in.

Not sure why the fire alarms started when the wall fell into the river.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...storm-21463013

Owain

'Cos the cable between the outside bell and tehnmain alarm got broken.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Dave Plowman (News) February 10th 20 11:06 AM

A bit windy

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

--
*One tequila, two tequila, three tequila, floor.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

bert[_7_] February 10th 20 03:12 PM

A bit windy

In article , ARW
writes
Call out this morning.

Not only did the ladders manage to slide across the roof bars (and I
fitted them properly) the roof popped off it's brackets and the
dashboard kept saying that the drivers door was open.

Now the drivers door was taking the brunt of the force so why would it
say that one was open?

Isn't it a Fiat?
--
bert

Dave Liquorice[_2_] February 10th 20 05:07 PM

A bit windy

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

ARW February 10th 20 08:36 PM

A bit windy

On 09/02/2020 21:17, GB wrote:
On 09/02/2020 20:59, ARW wrote:
[...]

My bins are bungee corded to the wall. I did however have to cable tie
the lids down

The Fiat was fine until I turned left at this roundabout and the winds
hit me sideways on.

https://goo.gl/maps/5ggwKnXVaZM78NeYA

At one point I nearly go up to 30MPH!

--
Adam

ARW February 10th 20 08:38 PM

A bit windy

On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

--
Adam

Chris J Dixon February 10th 20 09:00 PM

A bit windy

ARW wrote:

The Fiat was fine until I turned left at this roundabout and the winds
hit me sideways on.

https://goo.gl/maps/5ggwKnXVaZM78NeYA

At one point I nearly go up to 30MPH!

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

ARW February 10th 20 09:27 PM

A bit windy

On 10/02/2020 20:00, Chris J Dixon wrote:
ARW wrote:

The Fiat was fine until I turned left at this roundabout and the winds
hit me sideways on.

https://goo.gl/maps/5ggwKnXVaZM78NeYA

At one point I nearly go up to 30MPH!

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

I used to do the Woodhead quite often. Several years ago very reflective
red strips were added to the Armco.

--
Adam

polygonum_on_google[_2_] February 10th 20 10:56 PM

A bit windy

On Monday, 10 February 2020 20:00:52 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

Chris

I'm sure it was nowhere near as exposed as that, but I did actually go out on my bike for a ride today. Was jolly hard work on the outward part, but did indeed whizz along at about 30 on the way back with very little effort.

Enjoyable.

Luckily I got back well before the rain/hail/sleet burst.

T i m February 11th 20 12:41 AM

A bit windy

On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 20:00:45 +0000, Chris J Dixon
wrote:

snip

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50.

My (first) Mrs had the Honda C50 LA, a fully automatic 3 speed (step
through) that looked very much like the straight Honda C50. I think I
can remember riding a C50 (or it could have been a C70) but not owning
one. I did have a Yamaha T80 Townmate (shaft drive, 4sp, step-through)
and that was perfect around town, or, if you could get there, the
country lanes. ;-)

There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

When motorcycle camping to Lands End [1] with the family (3 of us, two
bikes) there was a photo collage of all the 'End to Enders' and the
happiest bunch by far were half a dozen or so lads that had done it on
Honda 50's. ;-)

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

Yeah, I've thought similar ... ;-(

Cheers, T i m

[1] London, New Forest, St Austell (LE and back for a day trip, Eden
Project and the Bovingdon Tank Museum?), Cardiff, Porthmadog, Malvern
Wells and back to London.

ARW February 11th 20 07:03 AM

A bit windy

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51433720

--
Adam

PeterC February 11th 20 07:54 AM

A bit windy

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 06:03:03 +0000, ARW wrote:

[...]

The clip of the 'plane from China landing on Sunday was 'interesting' - the
pilot did a superb job of controlling it and the little
wobbles/swerves/bounces were fascinating to watch.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Chris J Dixon February 11th 20 09:08 AM

A bit windy

polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Monday, 10 February 2020 20:00:52 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

I'm sure it was nowhere near as exposed as that,

https://goo.gl/maps/1BHJP4F63nw1XtMj9

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Dave Plowman (News) February 11th 20 11:52 AM

A bit windy

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working when
you don't expect it.

--
*My designated driver drove me to drink

Chris J Dixon February 11th 20 12:20 PM

A bit windy

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working when
you don't expect it.

Not necessarily.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Jimk February 11th 20 01:01 PM

A bit windy

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working when
you don't expect it.

I just leave the switch on "auto"...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Andrew[_22_] February 11th 20 02:02 PM

A bit windy

On 11/02/2020 06:54, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Viral marketting :-)

Andrew[_22_] February 11th 20 02:03 PM

A bit windy

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

even at red traffic lights ?

Andrew[_22_] February 11th 20 02:11 PM

A bit windy

The single glazing in the top-hung window in my South-facing bedroom
was noticibly bulging in and OUT during violent wind gusts
on Sunday.

Apart from a 15-minute period mid afternoon, when it chucked down,
we didn't have too much rain here, down south, but the wind
utterly demolished one neighbours 6x6 foot fence panels and snapped
all the 3x3 fence posts at ground level. Why people use 3x3 posts
for 6 foot high fencing beats me. Utterly shortsighted.

Meanwhile on the other side a similar run of fencing sitting in
metposts just bulged and vibrated like crazy but survived. It
was installed in 2014 using cheapo Wickes fencing panels.

Andrew

polygonum_on_google[_2_] February 11th 20 02:22 PM

A bit windy

ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working when
you don't expect it.

I just leave the switch on "auto"...

Doesn't everyone? I only do otherwise if something is making it flick too often, or too infrequently. Which is rare in either of the two cars I regularly drive. Neither exactly super-upmarket.

Dave Plowman (News) February 11th 20 03:00 PM

A bit windy

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the
traffic pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know
where the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working
when you don't expect it.

Not necessarily.

Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up, with
no action by the driver? Hope that car never goes through an auto car
wash. ;-)

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Chris J Dixon February 11th 20 03:36 PM

A bit windy

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the
traffic pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know
where the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working
when you don't expect it.

Not necessarily.

Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up, with
no action by the driver? Hope that car never goes through an auto car
wash. ;-)

Mondeo - if you leave the wiper controls in any operating
position, they will resume when you turn on.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.

Dave Plowman (News) February 11th 20 04:16 PM

A bit windy

In article ,
Chris J Dixon wrote:
Which model of car has them working when it rains after you start up, with
no action by the driver? Hope that car never goes through an auto car
wash. ;-)

Mondeo - if you leave the wiper controls in any operating
position, they will resume when you turn on.

Would you normally leave the wipers on when you switch off - except for
perhaps the auto setting?

But the cars I've owned with auto wipers used the Bosch system. And even
if left with the stalk in the auto position, won't work at switch on -
whereas IIRC the normal or fast would (but not even sure of that). Which
seems a sensible way to me?

--
*Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.

Bob Eager[_7_] February 11th 20 05:11 PM

A bit windy

On Tue, 11 Feb 2020 10:52:01 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working
when you don't expect it.

Not on my S-Max. The lights have four settings: off, parking, full, auto.

Bob Eager[_7_] February 11th 20 05:13 PM

A bit windy

ARW wrote:
On 10/02/2020 16:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 10 Feb 2020 10:06:33 +0000 (GMT), Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Rain was so heavy yesterday afternoon in London, some of the traffic
pulled in and stopped.

Well I guess if you never have to use the wipers you don't know where
the switch is. B-)

I thought posh cars automatically turned them on.

You still have to select this after starting. To prevent them working
when you don't expect it.

Sorry, thought that was lights. But same applies to the wipers. The stalk
has off, auto, on, on fast.

ARW February 11th 20 09:12 PM

A bit windy

On 11/02/2020 08:08, Chris J Dixon wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Monday, 10 February 2020 20:00:52 UTC, Chris J Dixon wrote:

I now find it hard to believe that I regularly did the run from
Barnsley to Manchester, over Woodhead Pass, on a Honda 50. There
were occasions when I had to resort to 1st gear in order to
battle against the wind whilst actually going downhill.

I recall that I had ample opportunity to contemplate the newly
installed Armco barriers, put in place after somebody significant
(MP?) had gone over the edge. For me, it would simply mean that
it would break my leg before I plummeted, head first.

I'm sure it was nowhere near as exposed as that,

https://goo.gl/maps/1BHJP4F63nw1XtMj9

Now the strips are white.

I am sure they were red when the Armco was on my left on the way out to
Manchester.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqOX4VvIL0o

--
Adam