Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Joys of rural living.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
I wonder how much those gadgets costs?
Sounds like a good idea for many people actually.
Brian

About £200 for a non-floating one, the kind normally used on land.

They arent intended to be used in areas where €˜normal methods (mobile
phone etc) work. In the UK, at least on land, people like hill walkers etc
would be the expected users plus, of course, people like the chap in the
article.

Every now and then you hear of the havoc caused due to one being set off in
error, maliciously, or by some fluke- mainly maritime ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Reay wrote:
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
I wonder how much those gadgets costs?
Sounds like a good idea for many people actually.
Brian

About £200 for a non-floating one, the kind normally used on land.

They arent intended to be used in areas where €˜normal methods (mobile
phone etc) work. In the UK, at least on land, people like hill walkers etc
would be the expected users plus, of course, people like the chap in the
article.

Every now and then you hear of the havoc caused due to one being set off in
error, maliciously, or by some fluke- mainly maritime ones.

There are cheaper ones but if they communicate via satellites, you need a
subscription and its not cheap.

Eg. SPOT Gen3 Satellite GPS Tracker
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00C8S8S..._jcEoEbVJYM2DK

There are versions that work through the mobile phone network but obviously
you need mobile reception for them to be sure to work.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
[...]

Oops, looks like Im wrong about basic locator beacons. No subscription
necessary for them.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...r-beacons.html

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

I wonder how much those gadgets costs?

£125 ish

Sounds like a good idea for many people actually.

Most are better off with a mobile phone.

Using an EPIRB costs the system a hell of a lot when you set it off.

Big advantage is that its independent of the mobile coverage.

wrote in message
This is proper rural living, not what Mumsnet calls rural living (anywhere
Ocado won't deliver in Surrey).

"Ken, who is in his 70s and lives off grid in a remote part of *Lochaber,
was injured when a log pile collapsed on him on Saturday. He had fallen
ill while in his log cabin, a two-hour walk from the nearest road, on the
edge of Rannoch Moor, by Loch Treig."

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...s-off-21424546

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:47 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER SEVEN HOURS, ALL NIGHT LONG!!!! LOL

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 08:47:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal trolling senile asshole's troll****

08:47!!! You ****ing stupid senile LAUGHING STOCK! LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 04/02/2020 21:26, Tim+ wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
[...]

If there is a phone network available and you know where the person is
is there an app for a smart phone that will call someone if you do not
move for 5 minutes. I cannot find one but would like one.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
On 04/02/2020 21:26, Tim+ wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
[...]

That isnt going to work, they can not
move for that long when they doze off.

And you cant even use a PIR alarm sensor because
that can't distinguish between someone just asleep
and someone who is unconscious.

I cannot find one but would like one.

In theory an apple watch can sort of get
close, but even it cant distinguish between
just asleep and unconscious. It does work
with those who dont have dementia who
can tell it to call when they have fallen
and cant get up etc, but not when they
just go unconscious.

It can in theory detect a fall but its not yet
clear how many of those it misses and how
often it does a false alarm when they just
fall but recover unassisted fine.

In theory that last can be handled by the
system telling you that it will call if you
dont cancel the alarm and some of the
wearable things do it like that, but the
person does need to be mentally
competent to be able to cancel the alarm.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 5 Feb 2020 11:24:15 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH another load of the senile Arsetralian asshole's senile troll****

....and better air in here.

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I thought it might be more than that.
I was intrigued to learn that Apple have a fall detector in their watches,
I wonder how reliable that is. One assumes you would not have it on if doing
something like breaking up concrete or doing judo!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
I wonder how much those gadgets costs?
Sounds like a good idea for many people actually.
Brian

About £200 for a non-floating one, the kind normally used on land.

They aren't intended to be used in areas where 'normal' methods (mobile
phone etc) work. In the UK, at least on land, people like hill walkers etc
would be the expected users plus, of course, people like the chap in the
article.

Every now and then you hear of the havoc caused due to one being set off
in
error, maliciously, or by some fluke- mainly maritime ones.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

But despite all this they still managed to lose a whole plane full of
passengers did they not?

Still, I guess short usage patterns like distress signals should not cost
much.
Brian

--
----- --

"Tim+" wrote in message
Tim+ wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There is a flaw in that plan. It would go off every time you left the thing
on charge overnight!
That I think is why such things get built into the watch. False alarms are
not much good.
Brian

--
----- --

"ARW" wrote in message
On 04/02/2020 21:26, Tim+ wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think youll find theyre a lot more sophisticated than simple impact
sensors. Theyll be analysing movements (or lack of) after sudden
accelerations to see if they fit the profile of a fall followed by
immobility.

Tim

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
Yes I thought it might be more than that.
I was intrigued to learn that Apple have a fall detector in their watches,
I wonder how reliable that is. One assumes you would not have it on if doing
something like breaking up concrete or doing judo!
Brian

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 04:45 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for ONE AND A HALF HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 04:45:24 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the sleepless senile Arsetralian asshole's latest troll****

04:45??? LOL WHY can't you sleep AT ALL anymore, you sick senile Arsetralian
trolling asshole? Is because of me? LMAO

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 04:56:53 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

04:56??? Any idea WHEN you will go back to bed again, you lonely sleepless
senile pest? Not AT ALL? LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote

I think youll find theyre a lot more sophisticated than
simple impact sensors. Theyll be analysing movements
(or lack of) after sudden accelerations to see if they fit
the profile of a fall followed by immobility.

But can stuff up rather spectacularly.
https://www.phonearena.com/news/appl...ht-tv_id120286

No big deal if you are mentally competent but
presumably a serious problem with the gaga.

I'd like to try one but I always hated wearing watches
and havent bothered for decades literally now.

Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\) wrote:
Yes I thought it might be more than that.
I was intrigued to learn that Apple have a fall detector in their
watches,
I wonder how reliable that is. One assumes you would not have it on if
doing
something like breaking up concrete or doing judo!
Brian

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 08:37 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for OVER FIVE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 08:37:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's troll****

08:37??? There's NO cure for you, eh, you abnormal sociopathic senile pest?
LOL

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
we shipped the likes of you out of the British Isles. Perhaps stupidity
and criminality is inherited after all?"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But despite all this they still managed to lose a whole plane full of
passengers did they not?

Posibly because such devices don't work under water.