Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default The joys of CNC...

In preparation for cutting those replacement lathe change gears, I had
another little project to do. Some years ago I bought an Ellis dividing
head used for like $20, but it only had one hole plate with it (15-20).
Since I'll need to use the dividing head when cutting the gears it was
time to make replacements for the missing hole plates. With a nice CNC
mill this was a piece of cake:

http://wpnet.us/Plates1.jpg
http://wpnet.us/Plates2.jpg
http://wpnet.us/Plates.jpg

The plan for cutting the gears is to do semi-CNC, manual indexing then
press cycle start and let the CNC cut the tooth in a suitable number of
passes before stopping for indexing again.

Fun stuff, thanks Iggy!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:518d650d$0
:

Fun stuff, thanks Iggy!

Fun, indeed. I needed a refresher in polar coodinate systems to design a
new pick-and-place mechanism. I went on Iggy's math site, and got all
the info I needed to spark my brain back into polar math. ('been a while
since I used that stuff...)

No doubts; Despite the complainers, Ig contributes here.

(now we hear from the adverse opinions)

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, and thank you for buying that mill from me. I am glad that it made
to your home in one piece. I had to cover and re-cover it several
times while it sat on your trailer in my yard, due to high winter
winds the tarp kept falling off.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-10, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Pete C." fired this volley in news:518d650d$0
:

Fun stuff, thanks Iggy!

Fun, indeed. I needed a refresher in polar coodinate systems to design a
new pick-and-place mechanism. I went on Iggy's math site, and got all
the info I needed to spark my brain back into polar math. ('been a while
since I used that stuff...)

No doubts; Despite the complainers, Ig contributes here.

Thanks. And I am glad that you like your welder, too.

My only problem right now is that I am very tired. It is a big mess
with having worked too much last year, thyroid, and allergy meds
etc. Some days it is OK, some days it is not. Yesterday I fell asleep
while at work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And by the way, what about the tool changer, did you figure that out?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-10, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Pete C." fired this volley in news:518d650d$0
:

Fun stuff, thanks Iggy!

Fun, indeed. I needed a refresher in polar coodinate systems to design a
new pick-and-place mechanism. I went on Iggy's math site, and got all
the info I needed to spark my brain back into polar math. ('been a while
since I used that stuff...)

No doubts; Despite the complainers, Ig contributes here.

Thanks. And I am glad that you like your welder, too.

My only problem right now is that I am very tired. It is a big mess
with having worked too much last year, thyroid, and allergy meds
etc. Some days it is OK, some days it is not. Yesterday I fell asleep
while at work.

A good allergist will fix you up without the need for meds that make you
tired.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus13558 wrote:

And by the way, what about the tool changer, did you figure that out?

Yep, you definitely had some high winds there. And that lovely blizzard
that added about 5 hours to the return trip. Fun stuff...

I figured out that it's probably not worth the effort to rebuild. I'd
have to build the tool carousel since that's missing, and I suspect it's
missing due to being more temperamental than it's worth.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus13558" wrote in message ...

Of course, the truly enlightened people have CNC with 4th axis

My first experience with 4 axis cnc involved fitting a GN6 controller onto a Milwaukee Matic back in ~'79 or so.

http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image...001893-gr5.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

"Ignoramus13558" wrote in message ...

Of course, the truly enlightened people have CNC with 4th axis

My first experience with 4 axis cnc involved fitting a GN6 controller onto a Milwaukee Matic back in ~'79 or so.

http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image...001893-gr5.jpg

Fortunately things are cheaper and easier these days. I'll add 4th axis
when I eventually convert to PC/LinuxCNC controls. For now the original
control is doing fine with drip feed.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." wrote in message

In preparation for cutting those replacement lathe change gears, I had
another little project to do. Some years ago I bought an Ellis dividing
head used for like $20, but it only had one hole plate with it (15-20).
Since I'll need to use the dividing head when cutting the gears it was
time to make replacements for the missing hole plates. With a nice CNC
mill this was a piece of cake:

http://wpnet.us/Plates1.jpg
http://wpnet.us/Plates2.jpg
http://wpnet.us/Plates.jpg

The plan for cutting the gears is to do semi-CNC, manual indexing then
press cycle start and let the CNC cut the tooth in a suitable number of
passes before stopping for indexing again.

Fun stuff, thanks Iggy!

Wait 'til you get a 4th axis.... gear-heaven.... if your controls support
it -- the A axis.
And of course very useful otherwise.
--
EA

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

. 3.70...
"Pete C." fired this volley in news:518d650d$0
:

Fun stuff, thanks Iggy!

Fun, indeed. I needed a refresher in polar coodinate systems to design a
new pick-and-place mechanism. I went on Iggy's math site, and got all
the info I needed to spark my brain back into polar math. ('been a while
since I used that stuff...)

No doubts; Despite the complainers, Ig contributes here.

(now we hear from the adverse opinions)

Ig has been stepping up to the plate.
While you have crawled under the plate.
--
EA

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 16:22:04 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

In preparation for cutting those replacement lathe change gears, I had
another little project to do. Some years ago I bought an Ellis dividing
head used for like $20, but it only had one hole plate with it (15-20).
Since I'll need to use the dividing head when cutting the gears it was
time to make replacements for the missing hole plates. With a nice CNC
mill this was a piece of cake:

http://wpnet.us/Plates1.jpg
http://wpnet.us/Plates2.jpg
http://wpnet.us/Plates.jpg

The plan for cutting the gears is to do semi-CNC, manual indexing then
press cycle start and let the CNC cut the tooth in a suitable number of
passes before stopping for indexing again.

Fun stuff, thanks Iggy!

Well...Im glad you had fun! I guess if I had mentioned I have extra
plates for Ellis heads........

"The ruling class doesn't care about public safety. Having made it
very difficult for States and localities to police themselves, having
left ordinary citizens with no choice but to protect themselves as
best they can, they now try to take our guns away. In fact they blame
us and our guns for crime. This is so wrong that it cannot be an
honest mistake."
Malcolm Wallop
former U.S. Sen. (R-WY)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 5/10/2013 6:49 PM, Ignoramus13558 wrote:
... Yesterday I fell asleep while at work.

Isn't that what work is for? Oh, wait ... you are the owner - only
employees get to sleep at work. G

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 10 May 2013 17:49:57 -0500, Ignoramus13558
wrote:

Yesterday I fell asleep
while at work.

see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_apnea

If this sounds like you, get to a sleep clinic. It won't
get better by itself.

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Existential Angst wrote:

"Pete C." wrote in message

[...]

It's coming when I eventually convert to PC/LinuxCNC controls. A feed
screw for an expeller oil press is on the A axis project agenda.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:5196b2fe$0$4550
:

It's coming when I eventually convert to PC/LinuxCNC controls. A feed
screw for an expeller oil press is on the A axis project agenda.

Pete, I know it's fun to just "make stuff". But I suspect that by the
time you buy the stock and spend a cutter and hours of machining time...
that you'd have been able to buy an Acme screw for less.

I have built several 'dough extruders' for pyrotechnic manufacturing.
There's just no recognizable benefit (if costs count) for making a lead
screw. Too many manufacturers make them for _really_cheap_.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:5196b2fe$0$4550
:

It's coming when I eventually convert to PC/LinuxCNC controls. A feed
screw for an expeller oil press is on the A axis project agenda.

Pete, I know it's fun to just "make stuff". But I suspect that by the
time you buy the stock and spend a cutter and hours of machining time...
that you'd have been able to buy an Acme screw for less.

I have built several 'dough extruders' for pyrotechnic manufacturing.
There's just no recognizable benefit (if costs count) for making a lead
screw. Too many manufacturers make them for _really_cheap_.

Lloyd

It's not an Acme screw or other lead screw, it's an auger kind of feed
screw. Take a look at http://www.piteba.com for a small example.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:5196c2fd$0$40157
:

It's not an Acme screw or other lead screw, it's an auger kind of feed
screw. Take a look at http://www.piteba.com for a s

Don't even have to look. If you'd said feed auger, I'd have been very
familiar with them. They're an integral part of many chemical feeders.

Have fun.
Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-17, Pete C. wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:5196b2fe$0$4550
:

It's coming when I eventually convert to PC/LinuxCNC controls. A feed
screw for an expeller oil press is on the A axis project agenda.

Pete, I know it's fun to just "make stuff". But I suspect that by the
time you buy the stock and spend a cutter and hours of machining time...
that you'd have been able to buy an Acme screw for less.

I have built several 'dough extruders' for pyrotechnic manufacturing.
There's just no recognizable benefit (if costs count) for making a lead
screw. Too many manufacturers make them for _really_cheap_.

Lloyd

It's not an Acme screw or other lead screw, it's an auger kind of feed
screw. Take a look at http://www.piteba.com for a small example.

That expeller looks very flimsy to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2013-05-17, Pete C. wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" wrote:

"Pete C." fired this volley in news:5196b2fe$0$4550
:

It's coming when I eventually convert to PC/LinuxCNC controls. A feed
screw for an expeller oil press is on the A axis project agenda.

Pete, I know it's fun to just "make stuff". But I suspect that by the
time you buy the stock and spend a cutter and hours of machining time...
that you'd have been able to buy an Acme screw for less.

I have built several 'dough extruders' for pyrotechnic manufacturing.
There's just no recognizable benefit (if costs count) for making a lead
screw. Too many manufacturers make them for _really_cheap_.

Lloyd

It's not an Acme screw or other lead screw, it's an auger kind of feed
screw. Take a look at http://www.piteba.com for a small example.

That expeller looks very flimsy to me.

It certainly isn't up to my over-engineering standards, but as it turns
out it is very reliable and more importantly simple to maintain for the
3rd world market it's largely for. Search for it on youtube and find it
in use in all kinds of interesting places. For my use I want to make a
slightly larger powered version.