Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB Radio in car

My DAB has been breaking up recently and the radio automatically drops to
FM. This is a bit annoying though die to the slight time difference.

Grubbing about on a Facebook Group someone asked if I had anything plugged
into my Cigar Lighter Socket - I have - a Dashcam. I unplugged it and the
problem went away.

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference. I found a couple of
YouTube videos that seem to confirm it.

Now I need a solution!

https://youtu.be/O2npY4BApZM?t=211

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 12:07:23 GMT, John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:

My DAB has been breaking up recently and the radio automatically drops to
FM. This is a bit annoying though die to the slight time difference.

Grubbing about on a Facebook Group someone asked if I had anything plugged
into my Cigar Lighter Socket - I have - a Dashcam. I unplugged it and the
problem went away.

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference. I found a couple of
YouTube videos that seem to confirm it.

Now I need a solution!

https://youtu.be/O2npY4BApZM?t=211

My dashcam is 'hard wired' to the fuse box to avoid the socket. It
was fitted by Halfords.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 12:07:23 GMT, John wrote:

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference.

Now I need a solution!

Not all 12 V to 5 V USB convertors are created equal. Try a different
one...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
idual.net:

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 12:07:23 GMT, John wrote:

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference.

Now I need a solution!

Not all 12 V to 5 V USB convertors are created equal. Try a different
one...

I have tried plugging the DashCam into the cars own (5v) USB Ports and I
get the break up of DAB again. Perhaps it is the cable that is radiating
something
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

I have tried plugging the DashCam into the cars own (5v) USB Ports and I
get the break up of DAB again. Perhaps it is the cable that is radiating
something

Where is the dashcam in relation to the car's DAB aerial?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:
I have tried plugging the DashCam into the cars own (5v) USB Ports and I
get the break up of DAB again. Perhaps it is the cable that is radiating
something

Try a USB cable with a ferrite on it:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-USB...R/263149489114
(or whatever connector the dashcam has)

THeo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2020 12:07, John wrote:
My DAB has been breaking up recently and the radio automatically drops to
FM. This is a bit annoying though die to the slight time difference.

Grubbing about on a Facebook Group someone asked if I had anything plugged
into my Cigar Lighter Socket - I have - a Dashcam. I unplugged it and the
problem went away.

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference. I found a couple of
YouTube videos that seem to confirm it.

Now I need a solution!

https://youtu.be/O2npY4BApZM?t=211

welcome to the crappy world of digital radio interference.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2020 16:46, Theo wrote:
John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:
I have tried plugging the DashCam into the cars own (5v) USB Ports and I
get the break up of DAB again. Perhaps it is the cable that is radiating
something

Try a USB cable with a ferrite on it:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-USB...R/263149489114
(or whatever connector the dashcam has)

THeo

To help with the elimination process try running the dashcam from a USB
backup battery.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cheap chinese rubbish again. People on here have sneered at me about
worrying about these voltage converters, saying who uses radios these days,
well...
My suggestion is a ferrit ring on the two sides of the circuit, but if its
built into one of the units it depends where its getting into the system,
if its through the electrics, than a choke and capacitor might sort it, but
if its radiating from the power cable to the dab aerial then apart from the
ferrite bead idea, I'm at a loss, You don't get such problems with the less
efficient series regulators as they are analogue. Of course it could be some
interference from the camera electronics, but that is less likely.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.222...
My DAB has been breaking up recently and the radio automatically drops to
FM. This is a bit annoying though die to the slight time difference.

Grubbing about on a Facebook Group someone asked if I had anything plugged
into my Cigar Lighter Socket - I have - a Dashcam. I unplugged it and the
problem went away.

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference. I found a couple of
YouTube videos that seem to confirm it.

Now I need a solution!

https://youtu.be/O2npY4BApZM?t=211

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That does not mean its fixed, you might just have a cleaner voltage
regulator than the one mentioned.

I have one of those little ones deriving plus and minus five from a 9v psu
wall wart and it kills almost anything from receiving within about five
foot. Heap of junk.
Brian

--
----- --

"Scott" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 12:07:23 GMT, John Not.responding.@dotcom wrote:

My DAB has been breaking up recently and the radio automatically drops to
FM. This is a bit annoying though die to the slight time difference.

Grubbing about on a Facebook Group someone asked if I had anything plugged
into my Cigar Lighter Socket - I have - a Dashcam. I unplugged it and the
problem went away.

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference. I found a couple of
YouTube videos that seem to confirm it.

Now I need a solution!

https://youtu.be/O2npY4BApZM?t=211

My dashcam is 'hard wired' to the fuse box to avoid the socket. It
was fitted by Halfords.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well in that case it has to be the camera itself then. Maybe it has also got
some kind of inverter in it as well.

Try the ferrite bead idea, also move the camera about and its lead, perhaps
the dab aerial is close to where its living at the moment.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.236...
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
idual.net:

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 12:07:23 GMT, John wrote:

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference.

Now I need a solution!

Not all 12 V to 5 V USB convertors are created equal. Try a different
one...

I have tried plugging the DashCam into the cars own (5v) USB Ports and I
get the break up of DAB again. Perhaps it is the cable that is radiating
something

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Jan 2020 20:21:00 +0000, Robert wrote:

To help with the elimination process try running the dashcam from a USB
backup battery.

Well I suppose it isolates the camera from the car but there is still
a DC-DC convertor in the "USB battery". Doesn't really help in
tracking down the source of the problem as you've changed more than
one thing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Cheap chinese rubbish again.

Maybe not given that the car 5V ports give the same result.

People on here have sneered at me about worrying about these voltage
converters, saying who uses radios these days, well...

We sneered about your use of SW and MW radio.

My suggestion is a ferrit ring on the two sides of the circuit, but if its
built into one of the units it depends where its getting into the system,
if its through the electrics, than a choke and capacitor might sort it,
but if its radiating from the power cable to the dab aerial then apart
from the ferrite bead idea, I'm at a loss,

Likely a better DAB antenna.

You don't get such problems with the less efficient series regulators as
they are analogue. Of course it could be some interference from the camera
electronics, but that is less likely.

"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.222...
My DAB has been breaking up recently and the radio automatically drops to
FM. This is a bit annoying though die to the slight time difference.

Grubbing about on a Facebook Group someone asked if I had anything
plugged
into my Cigar Lighter Socket - I have - a Dashcam. I unplugged it and
the
problem went away.

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference. I found a couple of
YouTube videos that seem to confirm it.

Now I need a solution!

https://youtu.be/O2npY4BApZM?t=211

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:37 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for NINE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 09:37:39 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the clinically insane senile asshole's latest troll****

So you've been up and trolling sinc 00:47 (your first post) ALL NIGHT and
ALL DAY long! Yet AGAIN! And you do it almost EVERY NIGHT now! Looks like
I'm having quite an impact on my sleepless senile punching bag! LOL

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2020 12:07, John wrote:
My DAB has been breaking up recently and the radio automatically drops to
FM. This is a bit annoying though die to the slight time difference.

Grubbing about on a Facebook Group someone asked if I had anything plugged
into my Cigar Lighter Socket - I have - a Dashcam. I unplugged it and the
problem went away.

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference. I found a couple of
YouTube videos that seem to confirm it.

Now I need a solution!

Replace it with an (inefficient) linear regulator, such as some variant
of a 7805, with a heatsink, instead of the (efficient, but noisy)
switched mode supply that you have?

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2020 00:39, Steve Walker wrote:
On 20/01/2020 12:07, John wrote:
My DAB has been breaking up recently and the radio automatically drops to
FM. This is a bit annoying though die to the slight time difference.

Grubbing about on a Facebook Group someone asked if I had anything
plugged
into myÂ* Cigar Lighter Socket - I have - a Dashcam. I unplugged it and
the
problem went away.

It seems the 12v to 5v ciruit causes interference. I found a couple of
YouTube videos that seem to confirm it.

Now I need a solution!

Replace it with an (inefficient) linear regulator, such as some variant
of a 7805, with a heatsink, instead of the (efficient, but noisy)
switched mode supply that you have?

SteveW

You can buy better converters too.

The ones for RC model planes are - surprise surprise - specced for low
RF interference.

But it does mean taking the dashcam apart

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

DAB Car Radio John UK diy 4 December 13th 19 09:30 PM
DAB portable radio with SD record/play mp3 & batteries John Stumbles UK diy 15 April 24th 09 04:02 PM
Pure Evoke 1XT DAB radio N Cook Electronics Repair 2 November 10th 07 02:33 PM
Does a DAB radio track stations as you move? Nick UK diy 30 November 15th 06 09:32 AM
DAB Radio in OZ - OT [email protected] UK diy 1 September 27th 05 02:12 PM