Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Country Lanes

It seems that in wet weather many suffer due to a vehicle going off the
tarmac and making a rutt in the adjacent earth. This then leads to the
tarmac crumbling away into the rutt and so it continues.

In my mind I can envisage a machine that could excavate a narrow trench at
the edge of the tarmac that could be followed up with some steel stakes and
reinforcement and then a readymix lorry.

Has anyone seen any solutions that work that are not as major as curbs?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

It seems that in wet weather many suffer due to a vehicle going off the
tarmac and making a rutt in the adjacent earth.

There's a little "back lane" round here that hasn't suffered from that
problem in the 30 years I've lived here, but it has done this winter,
the council have been and filled in the tracks, but they've cut up again
in other stretches, I was wondering if it's due to satnavs directing
yodel drivers along it?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 January 2020 11:41:46 UTC, John wrote:
It seems that in wet weather many suffer due to a vehicle going off the
tarmac and making a rutt in the adjacent earth. This then leads to the
tarmac crumbling away into the rutt and so it continues.

In my mind I can envisage a machine that could excavate a narrow trench at
the edge of the tarmac that could be followed up with some steel stakes and
reinforcement and then a readymix lorry.

Has anyone seen any solutions that work that are not as major as curbs?

You want to curb the rutt without a kerb?

Recently, several roads in my area have had the edges excavated - just a foot or two - and refilled with coarse stone. Clearly not intended to widen the road, as laying readymix would. Just avoid mud adjcent to the blacktop.

Seems to work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2020 11:41, John wrote:
It seems that in wet weather many suffer due to a vehicle going off the
tarmac and making a rutt in the adjacent earth. This then leads to the
tarmac crumbling away into the rutt and so it continues.

In my mind I can envisage a machine that could excavate a narrow trench at
the edge of the tarmac that could be followed up with some steel stakes and
reinforcement and then a readymix lorry.

Has anyone seen any solutions that work that are not as major as curbs?

It is afaict a combination of erosion of the earth verge or bank by
increased traffic, oversized tractors and lorries squeezing past each
other and water they running in the gully at the edge of the tarmac and
carrying away all the loose material. It's a big problem round here. If
you drop your wheels into the rut you can loose control and you can
shred your tyres.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 20 January 2020 11:41:46 UTC, John wrote:
It seems that in wet weather many suffer due to a vehicle going off the
tarmac and making a rutt in the adjacent earth. This then leads to the
tarmac crumbling away into the rutt and so it continues.

In my mind I can envisage a machine that could excavate a narrow trench at
the edge of the tarmac that could be followed up with some steel stakes and
reinforcement and then a readymix lorry.

Has anyone seen any solutions that work that are not as major as curbs?

You want to curb the rutt without a kerb?

It's a rut, please!

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 January 2020 20:20:37 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Who would build a road without proper edges. Seems to me the fault is built
in and its only stupid people who build such roads in the first place.
Brian

Many roads were built to standards appropriate to small, horsedrawn wagons - at the largest - and single-track at that. They now have to cope with gigantic agricultural machinery, articulated and rigid lorries, SUVs the size of houses, and others which were not even imagined at the time. Even where they are slightly wider, they might have to cope with traffic in both directions - each going slightly further to the left than they really should.

The folly could be in allowing these vehicles on roads that were not built to take them and not upgraded. Or in not upgrading them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 January 2020 21:03:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 20 January 2020 11:41:46 UTC, John wrote:
It seems that in wet weather many suffer due to a vehicle going off the
tarmac and making a rutt in the adjacent earth. This then leads to the
tarmac crumbling away into the rutt and so it continues.

In my mind I can envisage a machine that could excavate a narrow trench at
the edge of the tarmac that could be followed up with some steel stakes and
reinforcement and then a readymix lorry.

Has anyone seen any solutions that work that are not as major as curbs?

You want to curb the rutt without a kerb?

It's a rut, please!

True - a typo. Finger stutterrrrrrrr.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Who would build a road without proper edges. Seems to me the fault is built
in and its only stupid people who build such roads in the first place.
Brian

That description would include almost all rural roads. Round here they
have taken to adding kerbs to some bends which has the interesting
effect of creating a flooded area for aquaplaning whenever it rains.
There is no mains drainage on a lot of them either.

Even when they redo the roads as they did round here for those that were
on the Tour de Yorkshire route they still replaced like with like and if
anything made the soft verges even softer so that they rutted deeper.

Part of the problem is routing serious traffic along tiny rural roads in
the event of failure of one of the major trunk roads.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 20 January 2020 20:20:37 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Who would build a road without proper edges. Seems to me the fault is built
in and its only stupid people who build such roads in the first place.
Brian

Many roads were built to standards appropriate to small, horsedrawn
wagons - at the largest - and single-track at that. They now have to cope
with gigantic agricultural machinery, articulated and rigid lorries, SUVs
the size of houses, and others which were not even imagined at the time.
Even where they are slightly wider, they might have to cope with traffic
in both directions - each going slightly further to the left than they really should.

The folly could be in allowing these vehicles on roads that were not
built to take them and not upgraded. Or in not upgrading them.

We have a situation near here where there is facility that makes compost or
soil conditioning material from green waste located on what was once a
dairy farm.
Not a bad business as it gives a few jobs and is agricultural related, the
trouble is they have a contract
with the adjoining county to take their green waste from a good part of it
which means daily there multiple movements of refuse vehicles to and fro on
what was a narrow lane whose maintenance
falls to the county in which it is located a couple of miles from the
border . Despite representations from them to the other for at least their
drivers to take care the county whose lorries are doing the damage has
basically said tough .
If it was really narrow and single track it might be better as at least the
buggers would have to pass with one stopped , as it is they pass by one or
the other putting nearside wheels right on or beyond the edge of the tarmac
breaking it off at the edge which is has now narrowed the usable width by
up to 3ft or more in places but they still pass and now there are large
ruts on each side of the broken tarmac.
Drains and ditches have been blocked by displaced mud etc and the ruts in
the soft ground are now getting on for 2ft deep, one of the drivers of a
cart I was following almost got their come upance the other day when he
pulled into a rut they would have had a hand in making without slowing.
They went over so far I thought it was going to topple and must have been a
brown trouser moment.In a way it was a pity it didnt , I wouldnt want to
see the driver hurt but it might get some attention to the issue.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote

Who would build a road without proper edges.

Those that cant afford to have what
you call proper edges on all the roads.

Just not feasible on all out major roads outside towns.

Seems to me the fault is built in and its only stupid people who build
such roads in the first place.

Beats having half the roads done how you regard as properly.

"John" Not.responding.@dotcom wrote in message
2.236...
It seems that in wet weather many suffer due to a vehicle going off the
tarmac and making a rutt in the adjacent earth. This then leads to the
tarmac crumbling away into the rutt and so it continues.

In my mind I can envisage a machine that could excavate a narrow trench
at
the edge of the tarmac that could be followed up with some steel stakes
and
reinforcement and then a readymix lorry.

Has anyone seen any solutions that work that are not as major as curbs?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The folly could be in allowing these vehicles on roads that were not
built to take them and not upgraded. Or in not upgrading them.

The average "White Van" is not the size of a bus.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 09:32 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for NINE HOURS already!!!! LOL

On Tue, 21 Jan 2020 09:32:41 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the senile asshole's troll****

09:32??? ROTFLOL So you've been up and trolling since 00:47 am in Australia,
ALL NIGHT LONG, yet AGAIN! And you do it now EVERY NIGHT! I'm doing
something right, after all! LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2020 21:02, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Monday, 20 January 2020 20:20:37 UTC, Brian Gaff (Sofa 2) wrote:
Who would build a road without proper edges. Seems to me the fault
is built in and its only stupid people who build such roads in the
first place. Brian

Many roads were built to standards appropriate to small, horsedrawn
wagons - at the largest - and single-track at that.

Not even that. This is millenial delusiuon.

may roads are droving trcaks. Eher animals were fdrtiven by peole
walkimg. Over time they wore away te road tuill it was below teh land
;level. Peole got feed up with winter mud so carried along stones to
throw in the deeper holes. Over time this became formalised, and roads
made of broken stone (McAdam) became suitable for horse and carts, and
the Motor Car. But Motor Cars made dust and broke te riad up so they
glued it together with tar, and a dressing of gravel, and that was
TarMcAdam., Or tarmac.

No one designed these roads. They evolved.

They now have to cope with gigantic agricultural machinery,
articulated and rigid lorries, SUVs the size of houses, and others
which were not even imagined at the time. Even where they are
slightly wider, they might have to cope with traffic in both
directions - each going slightly further to the left than they really
should.

The folly could be in allowing these vehicles on roads that were not
built to take them

Yhjey saiu that about horses anbd carts back in Roman times

and not upgraded. Or in not upgrading them.

If enough people get upset enough and prepared to pay they will get
upgraded.

But Marxism is the crack cocaine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 20 January 2020 11:41:46 UTC, John wrote:
It seems that in wet weather many suffer due to a vehicle going off the
tarmac and making a rutt in the adjacent earth. This then leads to the
tarmac crumbling away into the rutt and so it continues.

In my mind I can envisage a machine that could excavate a narrow trench at
the edge of the tarmac that could be followed up with some steel stakes and
reinforcement and then a readymix lorry.

Has anyone seen any solutions that work that are not as major as curbs?

The problem has arisen by satnavs sending heavy vehicles down roads they would never find in the past.

It's even worse if there's a gradient, rainwater washes the ruts out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Who would build a road without proper edges. Seems to me the fault is built
in and its only stupid people who build such roads in the first place.
Brian

That description would include almost all rural roads. Round here they
have taken to adding kerbs to some bends which has the interesting
effect of creating a flooded area for aquaplaning whenever it rains.
There is no mains drainage on a lot of them either.

Highway engineers neeed a big sign in their offices: "Water does not flow
uphill"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/01/2020 21:55, Martin Brown wrote:
Who would build a road without proper edges. Seems to me the fault is
built
in and its only stupidÂ* people who build such roads in the first place.
Â* Brian

That description would include almost all rural roads. Round here they
have taken to adding kerbs to some bends which has the interesting
effect of creating a flooded area for aquaplaning whenever it rains.
There is no mains drainage on a lot of them either.

That's one reason why kerbs are usually only added on country roads to
/mitigate/ flooding or to support safety barriers. It's not cheap. And
it's not going to stop HGVs, tractors etc overrunning the kerb onto verges.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/01/2020 10:44, Robin wrote:
On 20/01/2020 21:55, Martin Brown wrote:
Who would build a road without proper edges. Seems to me the fault is
built
in and its only stupidÂ* people who build such roads in the first place.
Â* Brian

That description would include almost all rural roads. Round here they
have taken to adding kerbs to some bends which has the interesting
effect of creating a flooded area for aquaplaning whenever it rains.
There is no mains drainage on a lot of them either.

That's one reason why kerbs are usually only added on country roads to
/mitigate/ flooding or to support safety barriers. It's not cheap. And
it's not going to stop HGVs, tractors etc overrunning the kerb onto verges.

I reckon it is done merely to spend the available budget close to the
annual spending cutoff date that should have been used for tarring and
feathering (or what they laughingly call "road maintenance").

None of the kerbs put on the bends near me make a blind bit of
difference. The big stuff just smashes them up and they serve only to
allow water to pool on the road against them when before it was free
draining onto the grass verge.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown