Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Glass cleaner that actually works?

On 14/01/20 17:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 16:44:03 +0000, alan_m wrote:

And shifting the wax can be a right PITA. Can't see the point in
washing a car, it'll only get dirty again.

+1

It never ceases to amaze me of the number of cars (of mainly German
manufacture) lined up at the local hand car wash spending £10+ to get
their car nice and shiny, when it's still raining and the road outside
is covered in mud.

Other than keeping the car's glass clean, it surely is one of the most
unnecessary and ecologically wasteful activities around. I clean the
glass when it gets dirty. Other than the glass, I clean the car twice a
year, or perhaps three times if I've absolutely nothing else to do and
it's really filthy.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 11:08, Sn!pe wrote: Tim Watts wrote:

I use a tiny amount of isopropanol on a microfibre cloth to
clean the haze from inside my car windows, it works a treat.
I think it would be wise to keep the isopropanol well away
from paintwork though.

I was wondering about IPA. Do you find it OK with the daskboard
plastics? (some's bound to drip on)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 12:29, whisky-dave wrote: On Tuesday, 14 January 2020
10:50:50 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
Is there any available?

Nothing made for cars shifts the traffic film properly without a ton of
elbow grease at the dry-cloth stage (which would probably do just as
well without the useless glass cleaner spray in the first place).

And standard well know household sprays are not shifting oil and sticker
residue from my kitchen windows.

Does anyone still sell spray with ammonia in?
Or at least a solvent that actually dissolves stuff?

My fist american flatmate said newspaper and vinegar worked well for

household
windows.

I've heard that - it was a British thing in ye old days, apparantly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 15:08, Rod Speed wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Is there any available?

Nothing made for cars shifts the traffic film properly without a ton
of elbow grease at the dry-cloth stage (which would probably do just
as well without the useless glass cleaner spray in the first place).

I had a hell of a problem with the film that ends up on the
inside of the glass of the car. Nothing would shift it. A mate
suggested a commercial product and that works very well
indeed. Not cheap tho. But I dont get traffic film on mine
so I can't see if it works for traffic film as well.

Can you recall the name?

And standard well know household sprays are not shifting oil and
sticker residue from my kitchen windows.

How do you get sticker residue on your kitchen windows ?

New DG panel - came with a big fat sticker

Maybe you mean stickier residue.

No - definately a sticker

Does anyone still sell spray with ammonia in?

Easy enough to do that yourself. Use ammonia that
comes in bottles in those manual spray bottles.

I was about to get to the point of adding some ammonia to windowlene and
see if that works.

I'm sure it used to have either vinegar or ammonia in once??? Why not now?

Or at least a solvent that actually dissolves stuff?

Acetone does, but its very dangerous for plastics.

I wouldnt use it on car windows.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 10:50, Tim Watts wrote:
Is there any available?

Nothing made for cars shifts the traffic film properly without a ton of
elbow grease at the dry-cloth stage (which would probably do just as
well without the useless glass cleaner spray in the first place).

And standard well know household sprays are not shifting oil and sticker
residue from my kitchen windows.

Does anyone still sell spray with ammonia in?
Or at least a solvent that actually dissolves stuff?

Have you tried a brick?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 09:02, Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/01/2020 11:08, Sn!pe wrote: Tim Watts wrote:

I use a tiny amount of isopropanol on a microfibre cloth to
clean the haze from inside my car windows, it works a treat.
I think it would be wise to keep the isopropanol well away
from paintwork though.

I was wondering about IPA. Do you find it OK with the daskboard
plastics? (some's bound to drip on)

It appears ok with the plastics BUT the problem with second hand cars is
that the plastic may have a coating of a cosmetic cockpit shine product
that may be dissolved when the IPA splashes on to it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 09:08, Tim Watts wrote:

I was about to get to the point of adding some ammonia to windowlene and
see if that works.

I'm sure it used to have either vinegar or ammonia in once??? Why not now?

Wasn't Windowlwne more of a cutting product much like T cut? I recall
Windowlene leaving a pinkish residue on the glass as it dried that
required elbow grease and a clean cloth to remove.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
Is there any available?

Nothing made for cars shifts the traffic film properly without a ton of
elbow grease at the dry-cloth stage (which would probably do just as
well without the useless glass cleaner spray in the first place).

I had a hell of a problem with the film that ends up on the
inside of the glass of the car. Nothing would shift it. A mate
suggested a commercial product and that works very well
indeed. Not cheap tho. But I dont get traffic film on mine
so I can't see if it works for traffic film as well.

Can you recall the name?

Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ml/339077.html
https://www.meguiars.com.au/glass-cl...glass-cleaner/

And standard well know household sprays are not shifting oil and sticker
residue from my kitchen windows.

How do you get sticker residue on your kitchen windows ?

New DG panel - came with a big fat sticker

Maybe you mean stickier residue.

No - definately a sticker

Does anyone still sell spray with ammonia in?

Easy enough to do that yourself. Use ammonia that
comes in bottles in those manual spray bottles.

I was about to get to the point of adding some ammonia to windowlene and
see if that works.

I'm sure it used to have either vinegar or ammonia in once??? Why not now?

Dunno, never used it. Some play silly buggers
fiddling with what works fine for no good reason.
Presumably to justify their employment there etc.

Or at least a solvent that actually dissolves stuff?

Acetone does, but its very dangerous for plastics.

I wouldnt use it on car windows.

I wouldnt either now that there is so much plastic on modern cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-G822.../dp/B006FUT09G

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 08:06, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/01/20 17:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 16:44:03 +0000, alan_m wrote:

And shifting the wax can be a right PITA. Can't see the point in
washing a car, it'll only get dirty again.

+1

It never ceases to amaze me of the number of cars (of mainly German
manufacture) lined up at the local hand car wash spending £10+ to get
their car nice and shiny, when it's stillÂ* raining and the road outside
is covered in mud.

Other than keeping the car's glass clean, it surely is one of the most
unnecessary and ecologically wasteful activities around. I clean the
glass when it gets dirty. Other than the glass, I clean the car twice a
year, or perhaps three times if I've absolutely nothing else to do and
it's really filthy.

It may depend on how you park your car on a regular basis. When I was
working and required to wear semi smart attire it was a PITA to park in
the works car park with small parking spaces to get out of the car and
lightly brush up against a dirty car transferring all that muck to ones
dark trousers. As it was the same for all employees most kept the
outside of their cars clean.

Having just returned from a break from a rural part of the country where
there is a lot of mud on the wet roads the lower part of my car has
changed colour. The storm last night has removed none of the dirt (or
not enough to be noticeable).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 20:40:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Can you recall the name?

Meguiars Perfect Clarity Glass Cleaner.
https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/...ml/339077.html
https://www.meguiars.com.au/glass-cl...glass-cleaner/

Can it remove all the **** you got in your senile head, senile Rodent?
Obviously not.

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Watts wrote:
On 14/01/2020 11:08, Sn!pe wrote: Tim Watts wrote:

I use a tiny amount of isopropanol on a microfibre cloth to
clean the haze from inside my car windows, it works a treat.
I think it would be wise to keep the isopropanol well away
from paintwork though.

I was wondering about IPA. Do you find it OK with the daskboard
plastics? (some's bound to drip on)

It's pretty safe on most plastics. Once of the safest things to use on
electronics, where you can find all sorts of plastics.

--
*What do little birdies see when they get knocked unconscious? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
On 14/01/20 17:55, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 14 Jan 2020 16:44:03 +0000, alan_m wrote:

And shifting the wax can be a right PITA. Can't see the point in
washing a car, it'll only get dirty again.

+1

It never ceases to amaze me of the number of cars (of mainly German
manufacture) lined up at the local hand car wash spending £10+ to get
their car nice and shiny, when it's still raining and the road outside
is covered in mud.

Other than keeping the car's glass clean, it surely is one of the most
unnecessary and ecologically wasteful activities around. I clean the
glass when it gets dirty. Other than the glass, I clean the car twice a
year, or perhaps three times if I've absolutely nothing else to do and
it's really filthy.

Do you treat your house the same? Never hoover and dust? Doesn't matter if
the outside of the front door or other piantwork is filthy? Or just leave
all that to the wife? ;-)

--
*I wonder how much deeper the ocean would be without sponges*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

alan_m wrote:

It appears ok with the plastics BUT the problem with second hand cars is
that the plastic may have a coating of a cosmetic cockpit shine product
that may be dissolved when the IPA splashes on to it.

Is this the right point for a diatribe on the annoying use of
silicone polish on steering wheels?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
@ChrisJDixon1

Plant amazing Acers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 10:50, Tim Watts wrote:
Is there any available?

Nothing made for cars shifts the traffic film properly without a ton of
elbow grease at the dry-cloth stage (which would probably do just as
well without the useless glass cleaner spray in the first place).

And standard well know household sprays are not shifting oil and sticker
residue from my kitchen windows.

Does anyone still sell spray with ammonia in?
Or at least a solvent that actually dissolves stuff?

Cleaning our motorhome windscreen is always a pain- a combination of the
size, being able to reach it, and the various muck etc it accumulates-
not only when driving but while standing between trips. I've found
'Flash' floor cleaner in water (nice and warm) applied with an old towel
(the texture is just rough enough to remove dead bugs etc), followed by
a generous rinse and a dry/polish. Our vehicle isn't painted (is is
polycarbonate) so I don't need to worry about paint etc being damaged.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

Dust and hair is a different matter - particularly if you're asthmatic
or have and allergy or breathing problems. And messy or dirty
worksurfaces and floors are breeding grounds for germs, so need regular
(though not OCD...) cleaning. But we're talking apples and oranges here,
unless you eat off your car's bonnet or boot.

Cleaning paintwork outside? Who does that? How does outside paintwork
get dirty and how often? Do you live near some dust-generating factory?
We don't have any outside paintwork, but as it happens the outside of
our PVC doors get cleaned with the windows by the windowcleaner (3/12).

alan_m has a valid point. I was going to mention it as something which
would lead me to cleaning the car, but I couldn't remember the last time
I got my clothes dirty that way.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/01/2020 16:44, alan_m wrote:

Screen wash additives also seem to vary quite a bit. BMW seem to make
(sell) one of the best ones.

Often the problem is with machine car washes where the windscreen is
sprayed with wax as part of the final process.Â* Screen wash additives
tend to work better once this wax is removed from the glass.

I go out of my way to avoid waxes - they make a dreadful mess of the
glass (possibly because mine was treated with one of those products at
sales time that is uspposed to keep them cleaner???)

There's a car wash at Tonbridge where Prog 1 doesn't have any wax, or I
do it myself if I can be bothered
Posted to uk.d-i-y

its in some supermarket glass cleaners - read the small print
windex is one
glassex is another

Thank you - at least for my kitchen windows that pick up a fine grease
film over time, near the cooker.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/01/2020 11:39, Chris J Dixon wrote:
alan_m wrote:

It appears ok with the plastics BUT the problem with second hand cars is
that the plastic may have a coating of a cosmetic cockpit shine product
that may be dissolved when the IPA splashes on to it.

Is this the right point for a diatribe on the annoying use of
silicone polish on steering wheels?

Chris

The annoying use of that stuff full stop.