Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sing as DIY entertainment?

If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

The thug in the corner who does not like your singing:-)

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Both are more than 100 years old, so out of copyright. The pub landlord
might have a view on whether or not you were welcome to sing in the pub
though.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 15:57:02 +0000, ARW
wrote:

On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

The thug in the corner who does not like your singing:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

The thug in the corner who does not like your singing:-)

It's the thug in the corner wot's making me do it. It's his pound
coins as were going in the jukebox.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 16:30:17 +0000, nightjar
wrote:

On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Both are more than 100 years old, so out of copyright.

That's the info I was looking for Colin, thanks.

The pub landlord
might have a view on whether or not you were welcome to sing in the pub
though.

That'll be me performing in the underpass then :-(
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 16:57:55 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
wrote:

Yes some pubs have an open mike night and even a kareoke night, so learrn I
will survive and my way and you are set.
Brian

Yeah but I'll be well over a hundred years old before they are.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 January 2020 16:30:15 UTC, nightjar wrote:
On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Both are more than 100 years old, so out of copyright. The pub landlord
might have a view on whether or not you were welcome to sing in the pub
though.

"In the UK, copyright in the musical work and the literary work (if relevant) will last for the life of the creator, plus 70 years. If the work was created jointly, it will last for 70 years after the death of the last surviving creator."

100 years might, or might not be old enough. Further, if the arrangement is newer...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Mike
Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If
you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the
jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Mike

Those will be out of copyright, so you won't have to pay royalties.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nightjar wrote:
On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Both are more than 100 years old, so out of copyright. The pub landlord
might have a view on whether or not you were welcome to sing in the pub
though.

Copyright exists until 75 years after the death of the author/composer, not
the absolute age of the song.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 17:38:13 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , Mike
Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If
you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the
jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Mike

Those will be out of copyright, so you won't have to pay royalties.

Is there a reasonably easy way to check out such things?
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 09:36:05 -0800 (PST), polygonum_on_google
wrote:

On Sunday, 12 January 2020 16:30:15 UTC, nightjar wrote:
On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Both are more than 100 years old, so out of copyright. The pub landlord
might have a view on whether or not you were welcome to sing in the pub
though.

"In the UK, copyright in the musical work and the literary work (if relevant) will last for the life of the creator, plus 70 years. If the work was created jointly, it will last for 70 years after the death of the last surviving creator."

100 years might, or might not be old enough. Further, if the arrangement is newer...

Slightly trickier than it first seemed then.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 17:36, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 12 January 2020 16:30:15 UTC, nightjar wrote:
On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Both are more than 100 years old, so out of copyright. The pub landlord
might have a view on whether or not you were welcome to sing in the pub
though.

"In the UK, copyright in the musical work and the literary work (if relevant) will last for the life of the creator, plus 70 years. If the work was created jointly, it will last for 70 years after the death of the last surviving creator."

Not a problem for 'My old man said follow the van died'. The composer of
'If you were the only girl in the world' died in 1952, although, so far
as I can find, nobody still claims the copyright to the 1916 version.
Later arrangements do have copyright holders listed.

100 years might, or might not be old enough. Further, if the arrangement is newer...

Obviously, use the original arrangement.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/01/2020 18:12, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 17:38:13 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , Mike
Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If
you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the
jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Mike

Those will be out of copyright, so you won't have to pay royalties.

Is there a reasonably easy way to check out such things?

http://www.openmusicarchive.org/faq.php

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 20:00:05 +0000, Richard
wrote:

On 12/01/2020 18:12, Mike Halmarack wrote:
On Sun, 12 Jan 2020 17:38:13 +0000 (GMT), charles
wrote:

In article , Mike
Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If
you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the
jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Mike

Those will be out of copyright, so you won't have to pay royalties.

Is there a reasonably easy way to check out such things?

http://www.openmusicarchive.org/faq.php

Thanks for that.
--

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 12 January 2020 17:44:39 UTC, charles wrote:
In article ,
nightjar wrote:
On 12/01/2020 15:37, Mike Halmarack wrote:
If I want to sing songs like " My old man said follow the van" or " If you were the only girl in the world" at the pub, instead of feeding the jukebox with pound coins, who would I have to pay for the privilege?

Both are more than 100 years old, so out of copyright. The pub landlord
might have a view on whether or not you were welcome to sing in the pub
though.

Copyright exists until 75 years after the death of the author/composer, not
the absolute age of the song.

Where did you get 75 from? Everywhere I looked had 70.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 08:57:50 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
wrote:

Sorry?
Oh I almost forgot Come on Eileen and La Isla Bonita.
Brian

You're clearly a man who's been around a bit, and moved in artiste-ic
circles.
--

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020 09:01:08 -0000, "Brian Gaff \(Sofa 2\)"
wrote:

In reality though, there is not an issue as the backing track used seems to
be all part of the service these days.
If you wanted to release it though and make dosh that way, then I'd imagine
you would need to be more careful, legally.
Its interesting to note that New Zealand seems to have verry liberal
copyright laws.
Brian

Oh no, you're not getting rid of me that easy.
--

Mike