Josie Milton

Default Building Regs

Sorry if this has already been asked - I couldn't find it via google anyway.

I have planning permission to convert a barn to a holiday let. My architect
says he is too busy to do the Building Regs and says that most people do it
themselves anyway.

Does anyone have any experience of this and hence pointers on where to
start, tips etc.

Many thanks
Joe

Owain

"Josie Milton" wrote
| Sorry if this has already been asked - I couldn't find it via
| google anyway.
| I have planning permission to convert a barn to a holiday let.
| My architect says he is too busy to do the Building Regs and
| says that most people do it themselves anyway.

Does he mean producing plans for a Building Regs application, or actually
making the application? Actually submitting the application may be your job
or his (it is your responsibility to ensure that it is done, but he should
be in a better position to deal with any queries arising), but it's hardly
time-consuming if he's done all the design and draughting work already. If
he hasn't, he hasn't done his job, and you should consider finding yourself
an architect who's prepared to do some real work. For a barn conversion you
are going to have to produce full plans and specification, not just for BC
but for the contractors to quote and work from. That is an integral part of
the architect's design job. Whether you choose to use him for appraising
tenders and project management is another matter, but if he hasn't got time
for you now is he likely to be available when serious/urgent problems arise
on site?

Owain

G&M

"Josie Milton" wrote in message
Sorry if this has already been asked - I couldn't find it via google

anyway.

I have planning permission to convert a barn to a holiday let. My

architect
says he is too busy to do the Building Regs and says that most people do

it
themselves anyway.

Does anyone have any experience of this and hence pointers on where to
start, tips etc.

I imagine he's one of these new style architects who only skill is drawing.
In which case you either need to do it yourself if you are qualified or get
an engineer in to do it. But be warned it is not an easy task - the BCO can
ask for great detail or supporting information which you may not be able to
supply in which case the application could flounder. Also when the
conversion is being done, are you able to support his regular visits to
check work - if not again an engineer is appropriate.

Josie Milton

"Owain"
Does he mean producing plans for a Building Regs application, or actually
making the application?

Both I assume.

Actually submitting the application may be your job
or his (it is your responsibility to ensure that it is done, but he should
be in a better position to deal with any queries arising), but it's hardly
time-consuming if he's done all the design and draughting work already. If
he hasn't, he hasn't done his job, and you should consider finding

yourself
an architect who's prepared to do some real work.

Yep great if I lived in a big city, but in the sticks you only the choice of
1.

For a barn conversion you
are going to have to produce full plans and specification, not just for BC
but for the contractors to quote and work from.

No quotes required. Doing it myself.

Thanks for help.

Josie Milton

"G&M" wrote

I imagine he's one of these new style architects who only skill is

drawing.

No, he's an old fashioned type.

In which case you either need to do it yourself if you are qualified or

get
an engineer in to do it.

What qualifications do I need?

But be warned it is not an easy task - the BCO can
ask for great detail or supporting information which you may not be able

supply in which case the application could flounder.

Any clues as to what sort of things they ask?

Also when the
conversion is being done, are you able to support his regular visits to
check work - if not again an engineer is appropriate.

Do you mean he would ask difficult questions?

Thanks for response.

G&M

"Josie Milton" wrote in message

In which case you either need to do it yourself if you are qualified or

get an engineer in to do it.

What qualifications do I need?

None - but you need to understand the building regs on the ODPM site and
ensure they are implemented.
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou.../sectionhomepa
ge/odpm_buildreg_page.hcsp
Without seeing your plans I can't say which ones are relevant but as a barn
conversion counts as a new dwelling, ingress of damp and insulation must be
brought up to the latest standards for a start. Where are you situated ?

But be warned it is not an easy task - the BCO can
ask for great detail or supporting information which you may not be able

to supply in which case the application could flounder.

Any clues as to what sort of things they ask?

The things they suss out you've missed :-(

Also when the
conversion is being done, are you able to support his regular visits to
check work - if not again an engineer is appropriate.

Do you mean he would ask difficult questions?

Yep :-) That's his job after all. Many are very professional and offer
advice and assistance. But unfornately there are a number who appear to
have just failed the Traffic Warden nastiness test and asked for a job along
the corridor.

Josie Milton

"G&M" wrote

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou.../sectionhomepa
ge/odpm_buildreg_page.hcsp

Thanks for the link - very much appreciated!

Without seeing your plans I can't say which ones are relevant but as a

barn
conversion counts as a new dwelling, ingress of damp and insulation must

be
brought up to the latest standards for a start. Where are you situated ?

Meirionnydd, Wales

Yep :-) That's his job after all. Many are very professional and offer
advice and assistance. But unfornately there are a number who appear to
have just failed the Traffic Warden nastiness test and asked for a job

along
the corridor.

I think ours are quite nice luckily. But then after 2 years struggling with
the local planning office, everybody seems nice :-))

Owain

"Josie Milton" wrote
| Does he mean producing plans for a Building Regs application,
| or actually making the application?
| Both I assume.

That's pretty bad. However pretty a design he comes up with, it's worthless
if it's either unbuildable or non-compliant.

| If he hasn't, he hasn't done his job, and you should consider
| finding yourself an architect who's prepared to do some real work.
| Yep great if I lived in a big city, but in the sticks you only the
| choice of 1.

That's only pretend sticks.
In the real sticks you have a choice of 0 :-)

| For a barn conversion you are going to have to produce full plans
| and specification, not just for BC but for the contractors to
| quote and work from.
| No quotes required. Doing it myself.

It's either a case of trawling further afield for an architect who will do
the work, or learning to do the building design yourself. Especially as you
are working within an existing building (old? crumbling?
conservation/listed?) you will probably have some bespoke structural
calculations which will need to be signed off by a structural engineer.

Once the load-bearing is structure designed, the rest may fall into place.
It's a case of, wherever possible, using standard methods from the Approved
Documents, then going through the Regs on a room-by-room
paragraph-by-paragraph checking for compliance. It's easy to forget things
like doors opening too close to stairs, or window requirements for floor
area. It's even been known for people to forget the stairs altogether.

Building Control may be able to suggest architects or architectural
technicians with experience of similar projects, or even let you see plans
for projects which have been approved. This will give you an idea of what
they require. You should, for example, be expected to show by calculation
that your gutters and downpipes will be adequate to drain the roof, and the
rainfall to be coped with depends on your location and possibly also roof
orientation. It's perfectly possible to do all this yourself, but a good
relationship with the BCO is essential, and it's preferable to find and
resolve any ambiguities on the plan rather than after they've been plastered
over.

Owain

Nehmo Sergheyev

- Lil_Devil -
I am looking for a UK website that i can find the UK Building

regulations.

I am willing to pay for these or access them for free, If anyone can

help,
it would be most appreciated.

- Nehmo -
I'm in the US and I can't answer you. However, I crossposted to
news:uk.d-i-y . They might be able to direct you.

--
*********************
* Nehmo Sergheyev *

BigWallop

"Nehmo Sergheyev" wrote in message
- Lil_Devil -
I am looking for a UK website that i can find the UK Building

regulations.

I am willing to pay for these or access them for free, If anyone can

help,
it would be most appreciated.

- Nehmo -
I'm in the US and I can't answer you. However, I crossposted to
news:uk.d-i-y . They might be able to direct you.

The links below should help.

http://tinyurl.co.uk/0gzl (short version)

http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/grou...hcst?n=240&l=2 (long version)

Hugo Nebula

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 22:28:06 -0600, a particular chimpanzee named
"Nehmo Sergheyev" randomly hit the keyboard and
produced:

- Lil_Devil -
I am looking for a UK website that i can find the UK Building

regulations.

I'm in the US and I can't answer you. However, I crossposted to
news:uk.d-i-y . They might be able to direct you.

There are a number of jurisdictions in the UK; England and Wales,
Scotland, and Northern Ireland (as well as The Channel Islands and The
Isle Of Man which are, strictly speaking, not part of the UK).

The technical guidance for the Building Regulations for England &
Wales are available at www.odpm.gov.uk/building-regulations. The
regulations for Scotland are available at
www.scotland.gov.uk/build_regs. I don't think the NI regulations are
available on-line, but AFAIK, these are largely the same as the
England & Wales guidelines.
--
Hugo Nebula
'What you have to ask yourself is, "if no-one on the internet wants

Building Regs blakey9000 UK diy 33 June 24th 04 04:25 PM
Adherence to Building Regs... or not? Lobster UK diy 14 January 24th 04 09:15 AM
Bog standard building regs questions Paul Clarke UK diy 5 September 4th 03 09:46 PM
Taking out a wall and building regs... Adam UK diy 8 August 21st 03 10:39 PM