Owain

Default Building Regs

"Josie Milton" wrote
| Sorry if this has already been asked - I couldn't find it via
| google anyway.
| I have planning permission to convert a barn to a holiday let.
| My architect says he is too busy to do the Building Regs and
| says that most people do it themselves anyway.

Does he mean producing plans for a Building Regs application, or actually
making the application? Actually submitting the application may be your job
or his (it is your responsibility to ensure that it is done, but he should
be in a better position to deal with any queries arising), but it's hardly
time-consuming if he's done all the design and draughting work already. If
he hasn't, he hasn't done his job, and you should consider finding yourself
an architect who's prepared to do some real work. For a barn conversion you
are going to have to produce full plans and specification, not just for BC
but for the contractors to quote and work from. That is an integral part of
the architect's design job. Whether you choose to use him for appraising
tenders and project management is another matter, but if he hasn't got time
for you now is he likely to be available when serious/urgent problems arise
on site?

Owain