Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default angle grinders

The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died

Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?

I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I am happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a tinker's curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to have put their name on such a piece of rubbish.

Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an angle grinder very occasionally.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 16:34, fred wrote:
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died

Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?

I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I am happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a tinker's curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to have put their name on such a piece of rubbish.

Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an angle grinder very occasionally.

No, get a mains one. Double the power at half the price. Have a look at
the 2000W Mac Allister one from B & Q if you need one that will do
serious work. If you want something smaller there's the Makita 720W one.
When you look up cordless ones they don't like to tell you the wattage
because it's pathetic.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 16:34, fred wrote:
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died

Is it *really* dead, or can it be fixed? Have you checked the brushes
(assuming it's not brushless)?
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 16:34, fred wrote:
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just
died

Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?

I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I
am happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a
tinker's curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to
have put their name on such a piece of rubbish.

Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an
angle grinder very occasionally.

I have a 115mm 18V Makita brushless, and its pretty good IME. I have not
had occasion to use it on a long job as yet, but for cutting, grinding,
flap disc, paint stripping disc its fine. Plenty of torque, but lower
maximum rotation speed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 16:34, fred wrote:
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died

Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?

I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I am happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a tinker's curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to have put their name on such a piece of rubbish.

Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an angle grinder very occasionally.

Will it be fully charged when you need it? Will it be powerful enough?
Will it run for long enough?

I'd stick with mains.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2020 00:26, Steve Walker wrote:
On 04/01/2020 16:34, fred wrote:
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died

Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?

I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I am
happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a
tinker's curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to
have put their name on such a piece of rubbish.

Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an
angle grinder very occasionally.

Will it be fully charged when you need it?

With Li batteries - probably.

Will it be powerful enough?

Quite likely

Will it run for long enough?

How many batts have you got.

I'd stick with mains.

Have both and then you are covered ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 22:05, John Rumm wrote:

I have a 115mm 18V Makita brushless, and its pretty good IME. I have not
had occasion to use it on a long job as yet, but for cutting, grinding,
flap disc, paint stripping disc its fine. Plenty of torque, but lower
maximum rotation speed.

Last Autumn I borrowed a Makita 18V angle grinder and it worked
exceptionally well albeit not on a long job. The corner of one paving
slab was cut to fit it around a gate post and large sections of
stainless steel were removed from a scrap kitchen sink. For the
occasional DIY it was more than adequate but I'm not sure that the price
could be justified for limited usage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died

Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?

I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I am
happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a
tinker's curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to have
put their name on such a piece of rubbish.

Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an angle
grinder very occasionally.

Generally Id saw go for a mains beast.

While rechargeable batteries have improved dramatically, unless you use the
tools regularly and keep them charged etc, chances are ( at best) you will
find it is discharged when you need it or you end up killing it. Plus,
replacement batteries seem to be silly money- I had a drill with a duff
battery and it was almost the same price for a replacement drill with
battery as just a battery.

Cordless tools do have their uses of course but if mains is available use
it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a Bosch ordinary cyclonic vacuum, and although it works its filters
always need cleaning and recently part of the back plate plastic moulding
cracked and I had to mend it using a couple of screws as the catch itself
was part of the moulding. Rubbish idea making a spring from plastic.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"fred" wrote in message
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died

Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?

I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I am
happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a tinker's
curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to have put their
name on such a piece of rubbish.

Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an angle
grinder very occasionally.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

As an aside on this one, I have often noticed neighbours with angle
grinders, and they normally make one hell of a racket. People have said that
although most wear goggles to stop sparks getting in the eyes, how many
actually use ear defenders? It seems not many do, at least around my neck
of the woods. I do really think these people are storing up trouble for
themselves as they age. Even I have noticed that the couple of times I was
almost struck by Lightning has given me tinnitus in one ear which was not
there before.
Brian

--
----- --

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
fred wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It would be interesting to find out the failure in the b/D one, they usually
do good motors on their stuff.
Brian

I think, for DIY use, B&D are generally fine. I've still got my first
basis B&D drill (single speed etc) which I use for some things. I bought
a more robust one with hammer action one (I think from Wickes) which
must be 30+ years old and is still going.

One of their sanders recently failed- not the motor, a plastic gear
dubrey shattered after 30+ years. I confess I didn't even bother
stripping it down- I'm looking for a replacement. Likewise, the blade
holder on a jigsaw (maybe 25 years old) recently failed. I think I can
probably drill it out and retap the hole. The metal seems to be very soft.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 16:34, fred wrote:
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died

Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?

I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I am happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a tinker's curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to have put their name on such a piece of rubbish.

Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an angle grinder very occasionally.

TOP TIP
Don't grind steel when wearing the new jumper you got for Christmas.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 04/01/2020 16:34, fred wrote:
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died
Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?
I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I
am happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a
tinker's curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to
have put their name on such a piece of rubbish.
Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an
angle grinder very occasionally.

TOP TIP
Don't grind steel when wearing the new jumper you got for Christmas.

Or set fire to your nylon overalls!

Worth choosing the 125mm version if available. The extra 5mm of cut
depth/wear life is worth having.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

TOP TIP
Don't grind steel when wearing the new jumper you got for Christmas.

Or wear a fleecešŸ˜°

Richard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2020 17:36, Tricky Dicky wrote:
TOP TIP
Don't grind steel when wearing the new jumper you got for Christmas.

Or wear a fleecešŸ˜°

Richard

Or grind near a sheep

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 05/01/2020 17:36, Tricky Dicky wrote:
TOP TIP
Don't grind steel when wearing the new jumper you got for Christmas.

Or wear a fleecešŸ˜°

Or grind near a sheep

Only NZers do that, while wearing what you lot call wellys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2020 09:02, alan_m wrote:
On 04/01/2020 22:05, John Rumm wrote:

I have a 115mm 18V Makita brushless, and its pretty good IME. I have
not had occasion to use it on a long job as yet, but for cutting,
grinding, flap disc, paint stripping disc its fine. Plenty of torque,
but lower maximum rotation speed.

Last Autumn I borrowed a Makita 18V angle grinder and it worked
exceptionally well albeit not on a long job. The corner of one paving
slab was cut to fit it around a gate post and large sections of
stainless steel were removed from a scrap kitchen sink. For the
occasional DIY it was more than adequate but I'm not sure that the price
could be justified for limited usage.

I think if you have already "bought into" a cordless platform, then the
tools become quite affordable if all you need is the body only tool, and
can reuse batts and charger that you already have.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 6 Jan 2020 07:03:11 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Oh, darn! You HAD to **** also in this thread! tsk

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 05/01/2020 12:35, Brian Reay wrote:

the blade
holder on a jigsaw (maybe 25 years old) recently failed. I think I can
probably drill it out and retap the hole. The metal seems to be very soft.

I noticed that and wondered whether the softer metal grips the blade better?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2020 16:34, fred wrote:
The Black and Decker "Professional" 240v 115mm angle grinder just died

Question is, are the 18v cordless up to snuff?

I'm thinking Bosch as I have other 18v Bosch equipment with which I am happy, with the exception of their 18v vacuum which isn't worth a tinker's curse. Really and truly Bosch should be deeply ashamed to have put their name on such a piece of rubbish.

Anyway are the 18v cordless angle grinders any good? I only use an angle grinder very occasionally.

I have the Lidl one. It is less than half the power of a proper mains
one, but nevertheless very useful for lighter jobs where you don't have
mains power. Also, it has variable speed and at low speed you can be
nearly as delicate as with a Dremel, with the advantage of a reasonably
large disk.

I don't know how the expensive heavyweight jobs compare. I still have a
working B&D mains one from the early 1970's (on its second or third set
of brushes). But I have two or three cheaper mains ones to save having
to change disks. IMHO you want mains for serious wood sanding/shaping,
or for weld preparation etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2020 20:03, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
On 05/01/2020 17:36, Tricky Dicky wrote:
TOP TIP
Don't grind steel when wearing the new jumper you got for Christmas.

Or wear a fleecešŸ˜°

Or grind near a sheep

Only NZers do that, while wearing what you lot call wellys.

No, it's fine grinding when wearing (old) wool (or near a sheep), it's
polyester fleeces and boiler suits that it will destroy. DAMHIK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, January 6, 2020 at 11:56:29 AM UTC, newshound wrote:
On 04/01/2020 16:34, fred wrote:
[...]

I took it apart. The brushes are barely worn and the lead checked out ok. If it was the switch, as the machine is 25-30 years old, I didn't fancy my chanced of getting a replacement

As it is something I rarely use and then rarely far from a power source I bought a 240v Bosch. It will probably see me out

Thanks to all for their contributions