Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DC power plug 6mm 2.1mm

I wonder if anyone can help. Looking for a replacement DC barrel plug to fit a BT Homehub 5A power supply. I believe the plug is a "Type B 6mm 2.1mm" according to wikidev which has gone offline at the mo.

Note The BT Homehub 5B has a different sort of plug.

CPC plugs are only 2.1mm x 5.5mm.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/77...-sr/dp/CN05724

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 31 December 2019 18:20:48 UTC, JimK wrote:
I believe the plug is a "Type B 6mm 2.1mm" according to wikidev
which has gone offline at the mo.
CPC plugs are only 2.1mm x 5.5mm.

Is that 0.5mm crucial?

I don't know, but by the time I've bought ten of them and paid postage they turn out quite expensive if unsuitable.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:

Is that 0.5mm crucial?

Often it is, you either end up with a plug that is too tight to fit, or
too loose to make proper contact ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote:

Is that 0.5mm crucial?

Often it is, you either end up with a plug that is too tight to fit, or
too loose to make proper contact ...

Time for some proper DIY !

D i m or Tabbytroll 'll fixit....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There some odd ones about. I never did find one to fit an old Sony portable
CD player, it was very small.

I don't like these barrel plugs, the one on my tv even in standby starts to
cause hash on the hi if when it gets a bit tarnished.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
I wonder if anyone can help. Looking for a replacement DC barrel plug to
fit a BT Homehub 5A power supply. I believe the plug is a "Type B 6mm
2.1mm" according to wikidev which has gone offline at the mo.

Note The BT Homehub 5B has a different sort of plug.

CPC plugs are only 2.1mm x 5.5mm.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/77...-sr/dp/CN05724

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help. Looking for a replacement DC barrel plug to
fit a BT Homehub 5A power supply. I believe the plug is a "Type B 6mm
2.1mm" according to wikidev which has gone offline at the mo.

Note The BT Homehub 5B has a different sort of plug.

CPC plugs are only 2.1mm x 5.5mm.

https://cpc.farnell.com/unbranded/77...-sr/dp/CN05724

Owain

Ebay.

--
He who laughs last, thinks slowest*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 12:40:59 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help. Looking for a replacement DC barrel plug to
fit a BT Homehub 5A power supply. I believe the plug is a "Type B 6mm
2.1mm" according to wikidev which has gone offline at the mo.

Ebay.

Very probably, but I haven't managed to find one.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 12:40:59 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help. Looking for a replacement DC barrel plug to
fit a BT Homehub 5A power supply. I believe the plug is a "Type B 6mm
2.1mm" according to wikidev which has gone offline at the mo.

Ebay.

Very probably, but I haven't managed to find one.

Search DC power plug. Are you sure it is 6mm? Common is 5.5mm

--
*I'm reading a book about anti-gravity. I just can't put it down.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 15:35:57 UTC, Robin wrote:
Homehubs come up every month or 3 on Freecycle here so I'll keep an eye
open for one if you can wait that long. (I've picked up Homehubs and a
Smarthub that way but they're all installed elsewhere as access points
so I can't measure their barrels.)

Thank you. I'm in the unfortunate position (thanks to slightly inattentive ebaying) of having a Homehub 5A with a Homehub 5B power supply.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 13:57:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Search DC power plug. Are you sure it is 6mm? Common is 5.5mm

Yes ... this page

https://myvolts.co.uk/product.php/10...r_power_supply

says that 5.5mm is OK for Type A.

Actually I've just compared the two. i can't tell the difference in the outer diameter between 4.4 and 6mm, but the inner hole is much thinner on the 5B supply and I think the pin is larger on the 5A. Hence (AFAICS) a 5A supply can be used on a 5B hub, but not the other way around.

The hole on a 5A supply looks larger than 2.1mm.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 16:16:19 UTC, Robin wrote:
I'll take it I shouldn't confine my search to a Homehub Type B with a
Type A PSU

Noooo ... The Homehub Type B can't be OpenWRT'd

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 2 Jan 2020 09:45:30 +0000, Andy Burns

Looking for a replacement DC barrel plug to fit a BT Homehub 5A power
supply. I believe the plug is a "Type B 6mm 2.1mm"

Measuring the external and internal diameter of my original BT HH5a
plug, it's 5.5mm x 3 mm (not sure if the internal part of the barrel is
actually a cone shape, as the central pin on the socket is less than
3mm, though difficult to actually measure.

I thought they (internally) were cylindrical but with some sort of
sprung element to help make a good contact? That could be a single
spring 'finger' or a split inward sprung tube or a 'fork' (inside the
tip connector)?

The thought being that if both inner and outer part of the plug /
socket assembly were accurately machined / made and had at best a
light sliding fit on both parts (outer plug barrel in socket, pin
inside plug sleeve), the chances are a little bit of wear would mean a
tiny gap between the pin and plug sleeve and hence no contact?

I know the chassis sockets often have a spring loaded contact
(/switch) on one side and I guess that could make contact with the
plug barrel whilst pushing the sleeve onto the pin, but what about
in-line sockets?

Cheers, T i m

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 19:30:12 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Jimk wrote:

Is that 0.5mm crucial?

Often it is, you either end up with a plug that is too tight to fit, or
too loose to make proper contact ...

Correct use of the word 'loose' :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

too loose to make proper contact ...

Time for some proper DIY !

A wrap of silver foil-paper from a fag packet?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/01/2020 16:06, wrote:
On Wednesday, 1 January 2020 13:57:13 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Search DC power plug. Are you sure it is 6mm? Common is 5.5mm

Yes ... this page

https://myvolts.co.uk/product.php/10...r_power_supply

says that 5.5mm is OK for Type A.

Actually I've just compared the two. i can't tell the difference in the outer diameter between 4.4 and 6mm, but the inner hole is much thinner on the 5B supply and I think the pin is larger on the 5A. Hence (AFAICS) a 5A supply can be used on a 5B hub, but not the other way around.

The hole on a 5A supply looks larger than 2.1mm.

I visited a HH5 today. FWIW PSU was P/N 19118836, model no.
S018RM1200150, "for use with BT Home Hub 4 & 5 Type A"; my cheap
Workzone caliper gauge showed an external barrel diameter of 5.44mm; and
measured the diameter of a screwdriver which was a sloppy fit inside as
2.88mm.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 January 2020 20:43:25 UTC, Robin wrote:
I visited a HH5 today. FWIW PSU was P/N 19118836, model no.
S018RM1200150, "for use with BT Home Hub 4 & 5 Type A"; my cheap
Workzone caliper gauge showed an external barrel diameter of 5.44mm; and
measured the diameter of a screwdriver which was a sloppy fit inside as
2.88mm.

Thank you. So I definately need a pin hole bigger than 2.1mm.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 5 January 2020 23:12:16 UTC, Theo wrote:
I know this is DIY and all, but have you thought about just buying the
appropriate PSU:

(a) That's what I intended to do but through inattention (and not realising 5A and 5B were different power plugs) have already bought an inappropriate PSU
(b) the 5B PSU is rated at 2000mA which gives me an additional 500mA to play with on the USB port once I have bypassed the internal USB power supply and fitted an additional 12 to 5V thingmy.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

I've never opened up a HH but if you are going into the innards with
solder aforethought would it be practicable to get rid of the socket and
plug and connect your 5B PSU permanently?

While you're at it, bridge out the reset switch on the top of it that
you can't seem to avoid accidentally poking every time you move the thing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 January 2020 07:29:52 UTC, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

So I definately need a pin hole bigger than 2.1mm.

As I said the other day, a 2.1mm centre hole won't allow the plug into
the socket.

The next 'standard' is 2.5mm

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconne...on-leads-63536

I'd always though 2.1 was up to 3amps and the 2.5 for 5 amps.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 January 2020 08:21:25 UTC, Robin wrote:
I've never opened up a HH but if you are going into the innards with
solder aforethought would it be practicable to get rid of the socket and
plug and connect your 5B PSU permanently?

That is my next cunning plan, but will make it harder to feed the power cable up any trunking or conduit as required.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 January 2020 12:24:32 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
The next 'standard' is 2.5mm
https://www.rapidonline.com/truconne...on-leads-63536
I'd always though 2.1 was up to 3amps and the 2.5 for 5 amps.

Thanks, I often forget Rapid exist.

If I get one of them, and it's not the right plug, I can cut and reverse the ends and solder one end into the HH5 and the other end to the PSU and still have a removable connector for portability.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 6 January 2020 19:43:22 UTC, wrote:
On Monday, 6 January 2020 12:24:32 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
The next 'standard' is 2.5mm
https://www.rapidonline.com/truconne...on-leads-63536
I'd always though 2.1 was up to 3amps and the 2.5 for 5 amps.

Thanks, I often forget Rapid exist.

If I get one of them, and it's not the right plug, I can cut and reverse the ends and solder one end into the HH5 and the other end to the PSU and still have a removable connector for portability.

I have a couple of adapters, there;s only one thing I found that that needed it
and that was the set of scales I bought.

https://www.rapidonline.com/truconne...daptor-85-2916

now discontinued, luckier I bought some spares.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andy Burns, Bubz wrote:
I just tried a 5.5x2.5 and the centre hole is definitely bigger than 2.5.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...m-1400563-.htm