Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Multimeter thermometer probe and electric oven

I've finally got round to using the thermometer probe on my multimeter to
check the temperature in the oven.

The difference between the probe and the oven thermostat is so great that
I'm wondering how accurate the probe is.

Umm...updating as we get ready to cook....the probe was hanging down near
the door and reading low. I moved it to be more central (draped over the
rack) and now it is reading higher, but I'm not sure if it is reading the
overall temperature or the air flow from the fan.

So where in the oven should the probe be?

Confused as usual.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26 Dec 2019 12:30:10 GMT, David wrote:

I've finally got round to using the thermometer probe on my multimeter to
check the temperature in the oven.

The difference between the probe and the oven thermostat is so great that
I'm wondering how accurate the probe is.

IIWY I'd check the spec on that probe and make sure it's capable of
withstanding oven temperatures, let alone reading them!
--

"When constituencies are small their elected representatives must concern themselves with
the local interests of their constituents. When political representatives are distant and

- Sir James Goldsmith (Member of the European Parliament) 1933 - 1997
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Dec 2019 13:04:18 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

On 26 Dec 2019 12:30:10 GMT, David wrote:

I've finally got round to using the thermometer probe on my multimeter
to check the temperature in the oven.

The difference between the probe and the oven thermostat is so great
that I'm wondering how accurate the probe is.

IIWY I'd check the spec on that probe and make sure it's capable of
withstanding oven temperatures, let alone reading them!

Well, yes, up to 250C continuously or 350C for short periods.

Known as RTFM.

Which I did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

On 26/12/2019 12:30, David wrote:
I've finally got round to using the thermometer probe on my multimeter to
check the temperature in the oven.

The difference between the probe and the oven thermostat is so great that
I'm wondering how accurate the probe is.

Umm...updating as we get ready to cook....the probe was hanging down near
the door and reading low. I moved it to be more central (draped over the
rack) and now it is reading higher, but I'm not sure if it is reading the
overall temperature or the air flow from the fan.

So where in the oven should the probe be?

In the food.

That is if you want to tell if the food is cooked; it doesn't measure
the temperature of the oven.

--

Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2019 13:51, Chris Hogg wrote:
On 26 Dec 2019 12:30:10 GMT, David wrote:

I've finally got round to using the thermometer probe on my multimeter to
check the temperature in the oven.

The difference between the probe and the oven thermostat is so great that
I'm wondering how accurate the probe is.

Umm...updating as we get ready to cook....the probe was hanging down near
the door and reading low. I moved it to be more central (draped over the
rack) and now it is reading higher, but I'm not sure if it is reading the
overall temperature or the air flow from the fan.

So where in the oven should the probe be?

Confused as usual.

Cheers

Dave R

Do some simple calibration checks - a glass of water full of ice
blocks, and allowed to stand for ten minutes or so to equilibrate,
should read very close to 0°C, and later, stuck down the spout of a
kettle that's allowed to boil for a minute or two, but not actually in
the water, should read very close to 100°C. That'll at least tell you
if the t/C is anything like reliable. In the oven, the fan should keep
the temperature fairly evenly distributed. The fan oven I owned
several decades ago, drew air in through a central aperture in the
back of the oven and blew it out radially over a finned heating
element. If you can see and access the existing oven t/c, try and put
your probe as close to it as you can.

Also if the battery within the Multimeter is failing it could give a
very erroneous reading. If the multimeter doesn't have battery cover you
will have to split the casing. The battery is often a pp3, 9V battery.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/12/2019 15:13, Roger Hayter wrote:
ARW wrote:

On 26/12/2019 12:30, David wrote:
I've finally got round to using the thermometer probe on my multimeter to
check the temperature in the oven.

The difference between the probe and the oven thermostat is so great that
I'm wondering how accurate the probe is.

Umm...updating as we get ready to cook....the probe was hanging down near
the door and reading low. I moved it to be more central (draped over the
rack) and now it is reading higher, but I'm not sure if it is reading the
overall temperature or the air flow from the fan.

So where in the oven should the probe be?

In the food.

That is if you want to tell if the food is cooked; it doesn't measure
the temperature of the oven.

Indeed.

A probe placed, say, in a Turkey, should indicate 82C when it is cooked.
However, the oven could well be at 180C or more. If the interior of the
Turkey was at 180C it would be over cooked, to put it mildly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

+1. with that range it could well be a thermocouple, IME they are
normally accurate to a degree or two, much better than an oven
thermostat. I have put a standard K type thermocouple probe into each
oven of my range, going to a 2 channel digital display. It is surprising
how much oven temperature cycles even though it is a fan oven, and
temperatures drop rapidly when the door is opened. I base any serious
cooking on the thermocouple readings. (They poke just into the oven
space, towards the top on the sides).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

On 26/12/2019 12:30, David wrote:
I've finally got round to using the thermometer probe on my multimeter to
check the temperature in the oven.

The difference between the probe and the oven thermostat is so great that
I'm wondering how accurate the probe is.

Umm...updating as we get ready to cook....the probe was hanging down near
the door and reading low. I moved it to be more central (draped over the
rack) and now it is reading higher, but I'm not sure if it is reading the
overall temperature or the air flow from the fan.

So where in the oven should the probe be?

In the food.

That is if you want to tell if the food is cooked; it doesn't measure
the temperature of the oven.

I have a cheap ebay thermometer with thermocouple probe for that, very
useful. Also I keep the IR thermometer in the kitchen and use that to
check things like frying pan temperatures before putting food in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 December 2019 12:30:14 UTC, David WE Roberts (Google) wrote:
I've finally got round to using the thermometer probe on my multimeter to
check the temperature in the oven.

The difference between the probe and the oven thermostat is so great that
I'm wondering how accurate the probe is.

Umm...updating as we get ready to cook....the probe was hanging down near
the door and reading low. I moved it to be more central (draped over the
rack) and now it is reading higher, but I'm not sure if it is reading the
overall temperature or the air flow from the fan.

So where in the oven should the probe be?

Confused as usual.

The easy way to check is to put a glass bowl of water in the oven and see if it boils at 100degC setting. Also check your probe the same way (in boiling water)
Oven thermostats are notoriously inaccurate, As they age the oven runs hotter than the set temperature

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 26 December 2019 15:20:14 UTC, alan_m wrote:
[...]

It makes no difference. The water and steam are at the same temperature.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/12/2019 07:06:31, harry wrote:
[...]

No, salts even in tap water can raise the boiling temperature by a
degree or 2. There is also the phenomenon of superheated water.

Steam is going to be much closer to 100C.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 27 December 2019 13:43:56 UTC, Fredxx wrote:
[...]

There is negligible temperature difference regardless of dissolved solids.
There is more heat energy in the steam than the water
(Latent heat)
https://www.thoughtco.com/adding-sal...t-water-607363