Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tool Box

Talking of tool box/bag, I've been looking for a cantilever /metal/ tool
box, pref. 5 tray and only about 12" long. There are plenty of big 'uns
around but nothing, er, petite.
I've a strong dilike of plastic boxes, especially with one catch, plastic
'hinges' and the handle on the lid - just asking for trouble. I don't want
to carry the lid-box or have the box flap down.
I had one box where the catch failed after just a few operations - that
DeWalt one that SF gave away a while ago.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
Talking of tool box/bag, I've been looking for a cantilever /metal/ tool
box, pref. 5 tray and only about 12" long. There are plenty of big 'uns
around but nothing, er, petite.
I've a strong dilike of plastic boxes, especially with one catch, plastic
'hinges' and the handle on the lid - just asking for trouble. I don't want
to carry the lid-box or have the box flap down.
I had one box where the catch failed after just a few operations - that
DeWalt one that SF gave away a while ago.

Likely why they were giving them away.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Auto-contradicting Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 10:03:37 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Likely why they were giving them away.

If someone wanted an asshole's opinion, they'd have farted, senile trolling
asshole from Oz!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 22:07, PeterC wrote:
Talking of tool box/bag, I've been looking for a cantilever /metal/ tool
box, pref. 5 tray and only about 12" long. There are plenty of big 'uns
around but nothing, er, petite.
I've a strong dilike of plastic boxes, especially with one catch, plastic
'hinges' and the handle on the lid - just asking for trouble. I don't want
to carry the lid-box or have the box flap down.
I had one box where the catch failed after just a few operations - that
DeWalt one that SF gave away a while ago.

Agreed, although you do get what you pay for. The Stanley ones are not
too bad.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/11/2019 22:07, PeterC wrote:
Talking of tool box/bag, I've been looking for a cantilever /metal/ tool
box, pref. 5 tray and only about 12" long. There are plenty of big 'uns
around but nothing, er, petite.
I've a strong dilike of plastic boxes, especially with one catch, plastic
'hinges' and the handle on the lid - just asking for trouble. I don't want
to carry the lid-box or have the box flap down.
I had one box where the catch failed after just a few operations - that
DeWalt one that SF gave away a while ago.

My electrical toolbox is over 30 years old, has six trays as well as the
large bottom compartment yet is only 13 inches long. Its full, Ive sat
on it, I've stood on it and I've carried it around with its one lid top
handle, Ive even dropped it a couple of times yet its still as good as
the day I was given it, that includes the single plastic catch.

Its plastic! Branded "Art Bin"

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/11/2019 11:33, Muddymike wrote:
[...]

Going slightly OT, I'm always amazed how strong the plastic handles are
on lead acid batteries (especially the thin flexible stuff used in a
pair of handles on Transit van and similar batteries). I regularly move
these using one handle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 09:43:14 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 27/11/2019 22:07, PeterC wrote:
Talking of tool box/bag, I've been looking for a cantilever /metal/ tool
box, pref. 5 tray and only about 12" long. There are plenty of big 'uns
around but nothing, er, petite.
I've a strong dilike of plastic boxes, especially with one catch, plastic
'hinges' and the handle on the lid - just asking for trouble. I don't want
to carry the lid-box or have the box flap down.
I had one box where the catch failed after just a few operations - that
DeWalt one that SF gave away a while ago.

Agreed, although you do get what you pay for. The Stanley ones are not
too bad.

I might consider a plastic one if it had proper hinges and 2 catches; 1
catch is failure-critical.
Usually it's easy to pick up the tools - it's all the little useful bits
that go somewher else.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Nov 2019 11:33:43 +0000, Muddymike wrote:

[...]

Trouble is, it was good 30 years ago; now it's been 'value engineered' down
to a profit margin.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away