Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default cheapest concrete

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important garden
shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of ash (fly
ash?)or was it crushed slag/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

FMurtz wrote

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the cheapest
stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important garden shed floor?
In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of ash (fly ash?)or was it
crushed slag/

Not sure you can get that anymore.

You sure you want to mix it by hand instead of getting a minimix truck load
?

And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete
for a shed floor so you get a decent long lived surface
unless you want to put old carpet on it like some do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 02:07am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard has been out of Bed and TROLLING for HALF AN HOUR already!!!! LOL

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 02:07:51 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete

What you need is to go back to bed, you abnormal, trolling, senile cretin!
02:07 in Australia, yet again!!!!! tsk

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 01:53:58 +1100, FMurtz wrote:

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important garden
shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of ash (fly
ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Most of the UK has sand and gravel quarries fairly close, so ballast (a
mixture of sand and gravel) is as cheap as anything else.

Possibly false economy, but then again I think you have more coal fired
power stations than we do.

Fly ash is very fine (not like an aggregate). I assume that you need the
lumps for strength.

I remember it being packed down beside a concrete gully under a dual
carriageway because it was very light and could be compacted to exert very
little side pressure on the concrete.

Also at one time proposed for spreading on marine oil spills to clump up
the oil.

As far as I know modern power stations grind the coal up very fine to make
it burn more efficiently so you probably don't get slag any more.

Cheers

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 November 2019 14:54:04 UTC, FMurtz wrote:
Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important garden
shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of ash (fly
ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Plastic pallets are free here, and don't rot. As for cheapest agg, just ask your suppliers.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave R wrote-

Most of the UK has sand and gravel quarries fairly close, so ballast (aÂ*
mixture of sand and gravel) is as cheap as anything else.Â*

Possibly false economy, but then again I think you have more coal firedÂ*
power stations than we do.Â*

Fly ash is very fine (not like an aggregate). I assume that you need theÂ*
lumps for strength.Â*

I remember it being packed down beside a concrete gully under a dualÂ*
carriageway because it was very light and could be compacted to exert veryÂ*
little side pressure on the concrete.Â*

Also at one time proposed for spreading on marine oil spills to clump upÂ*
the oil.Â*

As far as I know modern power stations grind the coal up very fine to makeÂ*
it burn more efficiently so you probably don't get slag any more.Â*

CheersÂ*

Very few pulverized fuel (ground coal) fired stations now running in the UK due to being sacrificed on the altar of greentardery. Those that were best for concrete quality pulverized fuel ash or PFA (eggborough, Fiddlers Ferry, West Burton, Ironbridge and Longannet) required at least 3 days under baseload for the combustion to settle down and yield low carbon clean pale ash which could be used as a Pozzolan in the mix. Some of the ash particles in the flame would clump together and fuse then fall to the bottom of the furnace. This was Furnce Bottom Ash or FBA colloquially known as Clinker. Used in Breeze blocks and roads.
Adding pozzolan to concrete had many technical advantages. Thousands of tons were included in the Thames barrier and motorway bridges in the South West where alkali silicate reaction in mixes using local aggregate caused failure (concrete cancer).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cynic Wrote in message:
[...]

PFA is an example of "a" pozzolan.....others exist...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

A local clay quarry has a housing estate built over it and it was filled by
that black klinker slag stuff then concreted over. I note its starting to
sink now after 50 years.. Oops.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"David" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important garden
shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of ash (fly
ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Not sure you can get that anymore.

You sure you want to mix it by hand instead of getting a minimix truck
load ?

And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete
for a shed floor so you get a decent long lived surface
unless you want to put old carpet on it like some do.

I have two cement mixers and plenty of time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important garden
shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of ash (fly
ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Not sure you can get that anymore.

You sure you want to mix it by hand instead of getting a minimix truck
load ?

And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete
for a shed floor so you get a decent long lived surface
unless you want to put old carpet on it like some do.

I have two cement mixers and plenty of time.

Sure, but its quite a bit of work even just for a shed floor.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:40 am in Australia and the Senile Ozzietard is out of Bed and TROLLING, already!!!! LOL

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 03:40:33 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll****

03:40 in Australia? I suppose your collegue from Australia is still in bed
and fast asleep, you abnormal trolling senile pest. So you will still have
to wait for a few hours until you get a reply, you miserable lonely
cantankerous senile troll!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important
garden shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of
ash (fly ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Not sure you can get that anymore.

You sure you want to mix it by hand instead of getting a minimix
truck load ?

And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete
for a shed floor so you get a decent long lived surface
unless you want to put old carpet on it like some do.

I have two cement mixers and plenty of time.

Sure, but its quite a bit of work even just for a shed floor.

But probably cheaper than paving stones etc.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important garden
shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of ash (fly
ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Not sure you can get that anymore.

You sure you want to mix it by hand instead of getting a minimix truck
load ?

And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete
for a shed floor so you get a decent long lived surface
unless you want to put old carpet on it like some do.

I have two cement mixers and plenty of time.

Sure, but its quite a bit of work even just for a shed floor.

But probably cheaper than paving stones etc.

But a lot easier to get a minimix load and a lot better
quality of concrete that wont spall or crumble in use.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important
garden shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort
of ash (fly ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Not sure you can get that anymore.

You sure you want to mix it by hand instead of getting a minimix
truck load ?

And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete
for a shed floor so you get a decent long lived surface
unless you want to put old carpet on it like some do.

I have two cement mixers and plenty of time.

Sure, but its quite a bit of work even just for a shed floor.

But probably cheaper than paving stones etc.

But a lot easier to get a minimix load and a lot better
quality of concrete that wont spall or crumble in use.

But more expensive, So it may be dirt or my way if you have no money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important
garden shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort of
ash (fly ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Not sure you can get that anymore.

You sure you want to mix it by hand instead of getting a minimix
truck load ?

And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete
for a shed floor so you get a decent long lived surface
unless you want to put old carpet on it like some do.

I have two cement mixers and plenty of time.

Sure, but its quite a bit of work even just for a shed floor.

But probably cheaper than paving stones etc.

But a lot easier to get a minimix load and a lot better
quality of concrete that wont spall or crumble in use.

But more expensive, So it may be dirt or my way if you have no money.

Why have you ended up with no money ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 13:21:13 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But probably cheaper than paving stones etc.

But

But, but? Playing the auto-contradicting game again, you clinically insane
senile auto-contradictor?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019 19:48:03 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

But more expensive, So it may be dirt or my way if you have no money.

Why have you ended up with no money ?

You can go on like that for days, right, you lonely forsaken senile pest
with no life outside Usenet AT ALL? BG

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 01:00, FMurtz wrote:
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote

Probably different costs to here in Australia, but what would the
cheapest stuff to use for concrete aggregate for non important
garden shed floor? In grandfathers day they used to use some sort
of ash (fly ash?)or was it crushed slag/

Not sure you can get that anymore.

You sure you want to mix it by hand instead of getting a minimix
truck load ?

And in some ways you need a decent strength concrete
for a shed floor so you get a decent long lived surface
unless you want to put old carpet on it like some do.

I have two cement mixers and plenty of time.

Sure, but its quite a bit of work even just for a shed floor.

But probably cheaper than paving stones etc.

I bit the bullet and bought my ballast in 25kg bags.

It was all really the same cost as paving slabs, but at least I didnt
have to move more than the bags of cement and ballast. And getting it
level was easier

If you have access getting tonne bags of ballast delivered is probably
near as good as it gets.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 November 2019 10:42:41 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I bit the bullet and bought my ballast in 25kg bags.

It was all really the same cost as paving slabs, but at least I didnt
have to move more than the bags of cement and ballast. And getting it
level was easier

and it stays level. Paving slabs don't always

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote

[...]

I am not completely destitute I have full pension and a fixed deposit
which returns almost no interest but wasting money on concrete and other
things eats into it and sends me backwards. I try for neutral but am not
succeeding any more.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"FMurtz" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
FMurtz wrote

[...]

Do you rent or own ? Presumably not rent if you are adding a shed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 15:46:16 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I am not completely destitute I have full pension and a fixed deposit
which returns almost no interest but wasting money on concrete and other
things eats into it and sends me backwards. I try for neutral but am not
succeeding any more.

Do you rent or own ? Presumably not rent if you are adding a shed.

Oh, look, psychopathic know-it-all Rodent suddenly asks a question! But the
know-it-all provides the answer INSTANTLY anyway! LMAO

--
dennis@home to know-it-all Rot Speed:
"You really should stop commenting on things you know nothing about."