Dave Jennings

Default Cheapest source for internal fire doors?

Hi there,

I need to get 13 internal fire doors soon, as part of a loft
conversion. I'd appreciate a headsup to the best place to get them. If
it makes any difference, I'm based in Glasgow.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dave.
--
Dave Jennings
'89 VS 1400, '99 ZX6R
BigWallop

"Dave Jennings" wrote in message
Hi there,

I need to get 13 internal fire doors soon, as part of a loft
conversion. I'd appreciate a headsup to the best place to get them. If
it makes any difference, I'm based in Glasgow.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dave.

Any normal internal door has heat resistance for the required duration
stated in the fire safety regulations, and only need to be self closing to
suit building regulations. So go and buy your doors and fit self closing
springs or arms to them.

This site explains what you need:

http://www.thediyworld.co.uk/internal_doors.html

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

"Dave Jennings" wrote in message
Hi there,

I need to get 13 internal fire doors soon, as part of a loft
conversion. I'd appreciate a headsup to the best place to get them. If
it makes any difference, I'm based in Glasgow.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dave.

And this one:

http://www.bwf.org.uk/certfire/1.asp

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Dave Jennings

BigWallop wrote:
Any normal internal door has heat resistance for the required duration
stated in the fire safety regulations, and only need to be self
closing to suit building regulations. So go and buy your doors and
fit self closing springs or arms to them.

Excellent, thanks for that. My main gripe is that we live in a
beautiful 100 year old house, with all the original features. Fitting
these will really take away from the feel and the look of the house.

I know it's for safety, but no one here smokes, we have smoke detectors
as required, and I just hate the fact they won't look anywhere near as
nice.

Thanks for the tip - I appreciate it.

Regards,

Dave.
--
Dave Jennings
'89 VS 1400, '99 ZX6R
Colin

Any normal internal door has heat resistance for the required duration
stated in the fire safety regulations, and only need to be self
closing to suit building regulations. So go and buy your doors and
fit self closing springs or arms to them.

Is this right? I have some 6 panelled Victorian internal doors. Would they
meet building regs if I put a British Standard closer on them? Sounds too
good to be true... I thought they had to be 25mm thick...

Colin

Bob Mannix

"Colin" wrote in message
Any normal internal door has heat resistance for the required duration
stated in the fire safety regulations, and only need to be self
closing to suit building regulations. So go and buy your doors and
fit self closing springs or arms to them.

Is this right? I have some 6 panelled Victorian internal doors. Would they
meet building regs if I put a British Standard closer on them? Sounds too
good to be true... I thought they had to be 25mm thick...

They do but your old doors were already there and don't have glass in them
so, according to the letter of the law(!), with a door closer they will do
(as my 6 panel doors did). Any new doors have to be fire doors (in areas
where bilding regs demand them, eg opening on to escape from a loft
conversion) The actual situation vis-a-vis your six panel doors, as put by
my builder:

"f*ck*n stupid! Those doors would last about 30 seconds"

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Colin

They do but your old doors were already there and don't have glass in them
so, according to the letter of the law(!), with a door closer they will do
(as my 6 panel doors did). Any new doors have to be fire doors (in areas
where bilding regs demand them, eg opening on to escape from a loft
conversion)

So... Existing door at foot of boxed in stair in hallway. Wall between
kitchen and hallway to be removed and so boxed-in stair (and door)will be in
kitchen. I intend to half-hour fireproof boxing-in and I guess, from what
you say, I need to replace the door as well...

Colin

Dave Jennings

Bob Mannix wrote:
They do but your old doors were already there and don't have glass in
them so, according to the letter of the law(!), with a door closer
they will do (as my 6 panel doors did). Any new doors have to be fire
doors (in areas where bilding regs demand them, eg opening on to
escape from a loft conversion) The actual situation vis-a-vis your
six panel doors, as put by my builder:

"f*ck*n stupid! Those doors would last about 30 seconds"

Sorry,

Are you saying that the *NEW* doors where the loft rooms will be have
to be fire doors, but if I put closers on the existing doors these
should suffice, or not? These are the same as above - standard, 6 panel
Victorian.

I probably have brain fade here due to the whole project, so go easy!

Dave.

( PS - we're in Scotland, so regs are almost certainly different ! )

--
Dave Jennings
'89 VS 1400, '99 ZX6R
BigWallop

Bob Mannix wrote:
They do but your old doors were already there and don't have glass in
them so, according to the letter of the law(!), with a door closer
they will do (as my 6 panel doors did). Any new doors have to be fire
doors (in areas where bilding regs demand them, eg opening on to
escape from a loft conversion) The actual situation vis-a-vis your
six panel doors, as put by my builder:

"f*ck*n stupid! Those doors would last about 30 seconds"

Sorry,

Are you saying that the *NEW* doors where the loft rooms will be have
to be fire doors, but if I put closers on the existing doors these
should suffice, or not? These are the same as above - standard, 6 panel
Victorian.

I probably have brain fade here due to the whole project, so go easy!

Dave.

I'd say your old panelled doors would be sufficient to cover the
regulations, as long as you fit proper closers to them, but do ask your
building control people first, just in case.

If you want to keep the look of the doors, then you can have heat resistant
panels fitted to one side (the room side) of the doors to bring them up to
the new standards. The fire panels are cut to suit the main frame and
internal panelling of the doors, so they look, literally, the same pattern
as the existing door. The moulded timbers are fitted on top of the new
panelling to bring the full look back to the door.

The material the fire panels are made from is thin, around 6mm to 8mm thick,
so they don't overwhelm the door, and they do make a huge difference.

---
http://www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Ewan MacIntyre

Dave Jennings wrote:
Hi there,

I need to get 13 internal fire doors soon, as part of a loft
conversion. I'd appreciate a headsup to the best place to get them. If
it makes any difference, I'm based in Glasgow.

Thanks.

Regards,

Dave.

Believe it or not, there's a place in the Barras or thereabout that does
good cheap doors. I don't know if they are official fire doors etc,
you'd need to ask. Check the phone book - I don't actually know the name
of the place. However, a colleague who's pretty fussy said he was happy
with the doors he got, for his oldish house on the south side.

Let me know if you can't find the name and I'll ask my colleague.

cheers

Ewan (Stepps, Glasgow)

Dave Jennings

BigWallop wrote:
I'd say your old panelled doors would be sufficient to cover the
regulations, as long as you fit proper closers to them, but do ask
your building control people first, just in case.

Aha. Now, the local BC officer said they didn't, they needed replaced
with modern fire doors.

I took the step of employing a former BC officer, who now works for
Architects, and he said that they do comply, once I fit the closers.
Big difference between what the official was saying, and what actually
needs done. Big difference in money, and in look.

There are also a number of other issues that the Council BC guy
expressed concern about, and our guy was able to turn it around on him
to show that they were compliant - this guy was just being awkward and,
in fact, overstepping his remit.

A result, I think. Once I get the final completion certificate, watch
the complaint letter fly in!!!

Thanks for your help here - I appreciate it.

Dave.
--
Dave Jennings
'89 VS 1400, '99 ZX6R

Advice on living flame gas fire Stuart UK diy 11 December 2nd 03 11:47 AM
gas fire leak test andy smith UK diy 5 September 26th 03 10:28 PM
Stripped doors in Edinburg (experience; long) robin UK diy 0 September 1st 03 01:49 PM
Wide Wardrobe Doors Andrew May UK diy 1 August 15th 03 08:01 AM