Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yorkshire tea ... one for Bill maybe

Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with
hard water?

As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on
source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there
are parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 15:54:25 +0000, Scott wrote:

Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with
hard water?

As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on
source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there are
parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?

Yorkshire tea comes in two varieties - one for hard water and one for
soft water. We have sof****er here and use the same (sof****er) tea when
we visit Scotland to get an excellent cuppa.

The original YT was for sof****er.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 10:00:15 -0600, Bev wrote:

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 15:54:25 +0000, Scott wrote:

Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with
hard water?

As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on
source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there are
parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?

Yorkshire tea comes in two varieties - one for hard water and one for
soft water. We have sof****er here and use the same (sof****er) tea when
we visit Scotland to get an excellent cuppa.

The original YT was for sof****er.

How do you identify these? Is there some sort of production code?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

Bev wrote:

Yorkshire tea comes in two varieties - one for hard water and one for
soft water.

How do you identify these? Is there some sort of production code?

red label = soft, green label = hard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bev Bev is offline

On Fri, 08 Nov 2019 16:13:31 +0000, Andy Burns wrote:

Scott wrote:

Bev wrote:

Yorkshire tea comes in two varieties - one for hard water and one for
soft water.

How do you identify these? Is there some sort of production code?

red label = soft, green label = hard

Unless you are colour blind - in which case its the other way round
grins

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

Bev wrote:

Yorkshire tea comes in two varieties - one for hard water and one for
soft water.

How do you identify these? Is there some sort of production code?

red label = soft, green label = hard

Unless you are colour blind - in which case its the other way round
grins

I can't help thinking it is largely mar kiting ********.

Now where a differential mar kiting strategy would be useful is in the
detergent business, but yet the shelves of my local supermarkets in
Manchester carry the same range of water softening products as those
in London, and there is no water hardness specific dosing instructions
on the dishwasher and laundry products we use.

The result is far too much is pored down the drain. I use half a Lidl
"W5" dishwasher tablet and between a quarter and a third of the
recommended washing machine powder dose and get good results

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:

Bev wrote:

[...]

At one time did they produce regional variations of washing powder?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 15:54, Scott wrote:
Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with
hard water?

As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on
source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there
are parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?

There appears to be two versions. Around my way it's the red box version
on sale and seldom seen is the green box hard water version.

https://www.yorkshiretea.co.uk/our-teas

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 20:05, Bill Wright wrote:

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my own
water to make tea.

By the time it gets to London the water is many times recycled sewage.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , alan_m
writes
On 08/11/2019 20:05, Bill Wright wrote:

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my own
water to make tea.

By the time it gets to London the water is many times recycled sewage.

Too right!

The Lea starts beyond Luton and the 18,000,000L of spring water are
augmented by 48,000,000L (these are old figures) of treated sewage at
East Hyde.
I used to chuckle watching my father's cows cock their tails while
standing in the river knowing that some of this would be pumped out at
Chingford to supply part of North London.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 17:47, Graham. wrote:
The result is far too much is pored down the drain. I use half a Lidl
"W5" dishwasher tablet and between a quarter and a third of the
recommended washing machine powder dose and get good results

That's odd. Dishwashers have built in softeners, so should not be
affected by hard water.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Scott
writes
Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with
hard water?

As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on
source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there
are parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?

According to their web page, they bring in a tankers of water to their
works so the tasters can make a trial brew with hard water or with soft
water. I sometimes get a packet of 'hard water' blend from Amazon.It
really makes a good strong brew.
--
Chris Holford
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/11/2019 15:54, Scott wrote:
Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with
hard water?

As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on
source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there
are parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my own
water to make tea.

Bill

Youre not meant to drink the water in London. Just about fit for flushing
the loo with but not much else.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 20:21, alan_m wrote:
On 08/11/2019 20:05, Bill Wright wrote:

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my own
water to make tea.

By the time it gets to London the water is many times recycled sewage.

No I take it in a sealed container.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 22:29, Tim+ wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/11/2019 15:54, Scott wrote:
Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with
hard water?

As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on
source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there
are parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my own
water to make tea.

Bill

Youre not meant to drink the water in London. Just about fit for flushing
the loo with but not much else.

Yes I suppose so. It's a Third World city.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 03:47, Bill Wright wrote:

Yes I suppose so. It's a Third World city.

Full of 3rd world refugees (millions from the EU).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris Wrote in message:
On 08/11/2019 17:47, Graham. wrote:
The result is far too much is pored down the drain. I use half a Lidl
"W5" dishwasher tablet and between a quarter and a third of the
recommended washing machine powder dose and get good results

That's odd. Dishwashers have built in softeners, so should not be
affected by hard water.

Andy

Well I hope people here in Manchester aren't wasting their money
on "dishwasher salt", but judging by the shelf-space dedicated
to it in the shops, I suspect some are.
--
__
%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 13:11, Graham. wrote:
Vir Campestris Wrote in message:
On 08/11/2019 17:47, Graham. wrote:
The result is far too much is pored down the drain. I use half a Lidl
"W5" dishwasher tablet and between a quarter and a third of the
recommended washing machine powder dose and get good results

That's odd. Dishwashers have built in softeners, so should not be
affected by hard water.

Andy

Well I hope people here in Manchester aren't wasting their money
on "dishwasher salt", but judging by the shelf-space dedicated
to it in the shops, I suspect some are.

We certainly are not. 20-year old kettles and failed washing machine or
dishwasher heater elements are totally clean.

When I was at school we did titrations and the tap water was virtually
as soft as the demineralised water.

I have in fact worked on control panel design for dosing rigs. UU adds
measured doses of phosphates to the water supply to prevent the soft
water absorbing lead from any remaining lead pipes - as they never
develop an internal coating to stop the lead leaching into the water. In
hard water areas the lead is totally sealed off from the water by the
deposits.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/11/2019 15:54, Scott wrote:
Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with
hard water?

As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on
source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there
are parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my own
water to make tea.

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

--
*Before they invented drawing boards, what did they go back to?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 08/11/2019 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 08/11/2019 20:05, Bill Wright wrote:

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my own
water to make tea.

By the time it gets to London the water is many times recycled sewage.

Too right!

The Lea starts beyond Luton and the 18,000,000L of spring water are
augmented by 48,000,000L (these are old figures) of treated sewage at
East Hyde.
I used to chuckle watching my father's cows cock their tails while
standing in the river knowing that some of this would be pumped out at
Chingford to supply part of North London.

Far enough for the MPs?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARW
writes
On 08/11/2019 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 08/11/2019 20:05, Bill Wright wrote:

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my
own water to make tea.

By the time it gets to London the water is many times recycled sewage.

Too right!
The Lea starts beyond Luton and the 18,000,000L of spring water are
augmented by 48,000,000L (these are old figures) of treated sewage at
East Hyde.
I used to chuckle watching my father's cows cock their tails while
standing in the river knowing that some of this would be pumped out at
Chingford to supply part of North London.

Far enough for the MPs?

No. Although Thames water is reckoned to be recycled 5 times before
reaching the sea!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/11/2019 20:29, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARW
writes
On 08/11/2019 20:46, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , alan_m
writes
On 08/11/2019 20:05, Bill Wright wrote:

All I know is that when I used to work in London I had to take my
ownÂ* water to make tea.

By the time it gets to London the water is many times recycled sewage.
Â*Too right!
Â*The Lea starts beyond Luton and the 18,000,000L of spring water are
augmented by 48,000,000L (these are old figures) of treated sewage at
East Hyde.
I used to chuckle watching my father's cows cock their tails while
standing in the river knowing that some of this would be pumped out
at Chingford to supply part of North London.

Far enough for the MPs?

No. Although Thames water is reckoned to be recycled 5 times before
reaching the sea!

There's no myth like an old myth - though when I was a lad Londoners
usually put it more explicitly on the lines of "that water's probably
been through [N]* sets of kidneys before yours".

*where N is an integer which varied, but tended to be higher where
"water" was replaced by "beer"

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 09/11/2019 08:26, alan_m wrote:
On 09/11/2019 03:47, Bill Wright wrote:

Yes I suppose so. It's a Third World city.

Full of 3rd world refugees (millions from the EU).

It's the cockneys that are annoying.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/11/2019 15:54, Scott wrote:
Can you brew Yorkshire tea in Scotland or is it only compatible with
hard water?

Large proportions of Yorkshire have quite soft water it is only up in
the limestone dales and Derbyshire that the water is very hard.

Today large parts of Norht Yorkshire actually get their water from the
Kielder reservoir in Northumberland built to serve the cooling water
needs of the now non-existent iron works on Teesside.

As far as I can see, Yorkshire has hard or soft water depending on
source. Is the tea optimised for hard water? Does this mean there
are parts of Yorkshire where Yorkshire tea is incompatible?

Two sorts available as others have said.

It makes an even bigger difference for coffees. It turns out that for
them to be optimally made requires exactly the right amount of hardness
or it tastes too bitter (excessive hardness) or insipid (too soft).

Water hardness critically affects the free alkaloids in the drink as
well as the insoluble calcium scum that forms on the top.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 10 Nov 2019 09:27:15 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

[...]

Interesting, do the big chains (Costa etc) try to supply a consistent
product?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It makes an even bigger difference for coffees. It turns out that for
them to be optimally made requires exactly the right amount of hardness
or it tastes too bitter (excessive hardness) or insipid (too soft).

Water hardness critically affects the free alkaloids in the drink as
well as the insoluble calcium scum that forms on the top.

Interesting, do the big chains (Costa etc) try to supply a consistent
product?

I went to a lecture on the chemistry of coffee at Newcastle University
where unusually the audience were able to participate in a controlled
tasting starting with deionised water and working up in hardness. The
lecture was held in a bar since no eating or drinking is permitted in
lecture theatres. One chemist and one top barrista doing it.

Starbucks is notorious for burning the beans to an inch of their life
and making the tarry stuff up with deionised water. The taste is
characteristic and best suited to the rubbish thin US coffee.

Couldn't find the same diagram online but this one is close:
https://www.cirellicoffee.com.au/wp-...led_grande.jpg

Costa is somewhat less burnt. But yes reproducibility is viewed as a
brand strength (as is maximising the amount of coffee made per bean).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

You can't draw water because it's transparent.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 2:30 AM, Bill Wright wrote:

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

You can't draw water because it's transparent.

Perhaps _you_ can't - my sister is an artist, and she draws water
beautifully...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 07:08, S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/11/2019 2:30 AM, Bill Wright wrote:

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

You can't draw water because it's transparent.

Perhaps _you_ can't - my sister is an artist, and she draws water
beautifully...

No she draws the interface between the water and the atmosphere.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

You can't draw water because it's transparent.

How do you tell it's raining, then, without going outside?

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 November 2019 15:25:44 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

You can't draw water because it's transparent.

How do you tell it's raining, then, without going outside?

I use an app on my iphone ;-P

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/11/2019 3:04 PM, Bill Wright wrote:
On 11/11/2019 07:08, S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/11/2019 2:30 AM, Bill Wright wrote:

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

You can't draw water because it's transparent.

Perhaps _you_ can't - my sister is an artist, and she draws water
beautifully...

No she draws the interface between the water and the atmosphere.

I'll tell her that.
Maybe.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote:

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

You can't draw water because it's transparent.

How do you tell it's raining, then, without going outside?

I use an app on my iphone ;-P

Not been much use recently. ;-)

--
*Re-elect nobody

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 11 November 2019 15:25:44 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
How do you tell it's raining, then, without going outside?

I live in Scotland.

In June, July and August I simply wear a less heavy coat.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

You can't draw water because it's transparent.

How do you tell it's raining, then, without going outside?

In my case I can hear it on the metal decking roof long before I can see it
falling by looking out the window.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 07:01:58 +1100, Raycantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

How do you tell it's raining, then, without going outside?

In my case I can hear it on the metal decking roof long before I can see it
falling by looking out the window.

From what I can see, NOBODY asked you ANYTHING, lonely senile Rodent! LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

S Viemeister wrote:
On 11/11/2019 2:30 AM, Bill Wright wrote:

So much for the instructions on the packet saying to use freshly drawn
water?

You can't draw water because it's transparent.

Perhaps _you_ can't - my sister is an artist, and she draws water
beautifully...

I can draw curtains....

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TOJ TOJ is offline

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 05:24:41 +0000, Tim+ wrote:

I can draw curtains....

I can draw conclusions - usually the wrong ones!

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How do you tell it's raining, then, without going outside

According to the latest Amazon ads you ask Alexa.

Richard