Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Enough sockets in a modern house

On Tuesday, 5 November 2019 14:56:21 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:

Given most sockets are needed for piddling low current stuff (power
supplies of some description) the best way to uprate the number of
sockets in a room/house is a job lot of 1m 4-gang extension cables.

Fine if whatever they're feeding conceals them. Otherwise, look like a
bodge.

I find 4 ways usually not enough. 9,10 etc are more useful.

*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

No

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2019 14:42, GB wrote:
On 03/11/2019 14:58, Robin wrote:
On 03/11/2019 14:38, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 3 Nov 2019 05:26:38 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I bet the electrician got a free hoodie from the wholesaler:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-65826048.html

(not all level, you will note)

Well some thing has to give it a £1.3m price tag! Nasty ugly modern
box barely detached one side 3' rear access the other on a ladies
pocket handkerchief scrap of land.

Bugger that.Â* The killer fact is that it's nearer Aldi than Waitrose.

What's Aldi?Â*

Poor mans version of a Jag

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/11/2019 21:00, DJC wrote:

https://suite.endole.co.uk/insight/c...medics-limited

No that is at
31 Rushdene Road Eastcote

Think, I'll go and stand in a corner now....

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 6 Nov 2019 06:31:11 +1100, Chang, better known as cantankerous

Indeed.Meanwhile the back garden is shabby and the fencing tatty.

What are all those round things in the walls next to the sockets ?.

Lights, as you can see from the later photos. Weird imo but clearly that¢s
what they are.

They can't be as weird as you are, you nym-shiftin, 85-year-old, trolling,
senile pest!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 14:47:35 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
Given most sockets are needed for piddling low current stuff (power
supplies of some description) the best way to uprate the number of
sockets in a room/house is a job lot of 1m 4-gang extension cables.

Fine if whatever they're feeding conceals them. Otherwise, look like a
bodge.

Ours are shoved behind/under sofas and chairs. Not in sight at all. With
an added bonus that you don't need to move furniture to get to them.

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? ;-)

Definitely not in our case. The layout of furniture in the room has
changed over the years (particularly since I got married) and at one
end, one double socket is behind a bookcase and the other is behind a
china cabinet - both immovable without emptying them first. A short
extension leads from behind the china cabinet and is tucked away between
it and the end wall 6" away from it. It normally feeds the cabinet
lights, but often gets used for phone charging and running a fan in hot
weather.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 13:26, wrote:
I bet the electrician got a free hoodie from the wholesaler:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-65826048.html

(not all level, you will note)

Made it onto El Reg as well now:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/1...ctric_sockets/

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2019 19:38, DJC wrote:
On 03/11/2019 13:26, wrote:
I bet the electrician got a free hoodie from the wholesaler:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property...-65826048.html

(not all level, you will note)

Owain

A basic 3 bed semi over-extended at the back, with a really ugly loft
conversion. Not much of a garden and no effort to make anything of it.

It's a detached property, and convenient for commuting into central
London, which explains the bonkers valuation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 05 Nov 2019 15:26:43 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Jethro_uk wrote:
Given most sockets are needed for piddling low current stuff (power
supplies of some description) the best way to uprate the number of
sockets in a room/house is a job lot of 1m 4-gang extension cables.

Fine if whatever they're feeding conceals them. Otherwise, look like
a bodge.

Ours are shoved behind/under sofas and chairs. Not in sight at all.
With an added bonus that you don't need to move furniture to get to
them.

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? ;-)

No. If you need to move something plugged in, you just find the
multiplug, which is 1m (at least) away from the socket, and do the
necessary there.

Beats trying to find a spare plug socket which is invariably as far
behind a heavy sofa as possible.

That's the beauty of DIY. You situate sockets and switches where they are
needed. Not where an electrician guesses.

Just a tip ... I'm too old to give any ****s about making anybodies life
easier except my own

Quite right.

If you took pics of the rooms here empty, it would be similar to that
estate agent's pics. You wouldn't know why the sockets etc were situated
where they are.

--
*You! Off my planet!

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

Given most sockets are needed for piddling low current stuff (power
supplies of some description) the best way to uprate the number of
sockets in a room/house is a job lot of 1m 4-gang extension cables.

Fine if whatever they're feeding conceals them. Otherwise, look like a
bodge.

I find 4 ways usually not enough. 9,10 etc are more useful.

*Just give me chocolate and nobody gets hurt

No

I used IEC where all the AV equipment is. Takes up a lot less room than 13
amp.

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Ours are shoved behind/under sofas and chairs. Not in sight at all. With
an added bonus that you don't need to move furniture to get to them.

Isn't that a bit of a contradiction? ;-)

Definitely not in our case. The layout of furniture in the room has
changed over the years (particularly since I got married) and at one
end, one double socket is behind a bookcase and the other is behind a
china cabinet - both immovable without emptying them first. A short
extension leads from behind the china cabinet and is tucked away between
it and the end wall 6" away from it. It normally feeds the cabinet
lights, but often gets used for phone charging and running a fan in hot
weather.

Add sockets in the correct places when re-decorating?

--
*Why 'that tie suits you' but 'those shoes suit you'?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
A basic 3 bed semi over-extended at the back, with a really ugly loft
conversion. Not much of a garden and no effort to make anything of it.

It's a detached property, and convenient for commuting into central
London, which explains the bonkers valuation.

Very few places in London which aren't convenient for commuting into town.
I'd not think Pinner special for that.

--
*Microsoft broke Volkswagen's record: They only made 21.4 million bugs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jethro_uk wrote:
Pinner (et ses environs) is *especially* good for commuting though, as
the Met line runs an express service (or did when I lived there) that
could get you from Harrow on the Hill to Aldgate in less than 30 minutes.

When I lived in South Harrow, I could leave at 8.00, and be sitting at
my desk in Marble Arch before 9.00. And that was with a 15 minute walk
to the station one end, and a 10 minute walk from the station (Baker
St.) the other.

Perhaps you don't know just how fast you can move around London by PT
these days.

I went to Regent Street on Saturday to look at the veteran cars (London to
Brighton) Took 45 minutes door to door, including the walk at either end.

--
*Forget about World Peace...Visualize using your turn signal.