Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing electric conduit

My garage is about 4 feet from the house (side to side) with a drop of
30" from the cables exit to entrance. There are 2 cables, the alarm and
electric lighting cable. On installation these were protected by round
plastic conduit. Sadly this was broken by a workman, unnoticed at the
time. However it has since degraded further and needs replacing. As it
would bee difficult to access the cables ends and disconnect I need a
product that I can "slip" over. Any ideas please?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 09:38, Broadback wrote:
My garage is about 4 feet from the house (side to side) with a drop of
30" from the cables exit to entrance. There are 2 cables, the alarm and
electric lighting cable. On installation these were protected by round
plastic conduit. Sadly this was broken by a workman, unnoticed at the
time. However it has since degraded further and needs replacing. As it
would bee difficult to access the cables ends and disconnect I need a
product that I can "slip" over. Any ideas please?

plastic foam pipe insulation
And some UV proof duct tape?

Else the birds will have it for nests

--
€œIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
My garage is about 4 feet from the house (side to side) with a drop of
30" from the cables exit to entrance. There are 2 cables, the alarm and
electric lighting cable. On installation these were protected by round
plastic conduit. Sadly this was broken by a workman, unnoticed at the
time. However it has since degraded further and needs replacing. As it
would bee difficult to access the cables ends and disconnect I need a
product that I can "slip" over. Any ideas please?

You can get split, round, flexible conduit.:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Spira.../dp/B00V6DHMJC

I think you should be able to buy this at most electrical wholesalers
and even at places like B&Q though I can't see it at Screwfix or
Toolstation.

--
Chris Green
Β·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 10:10, Chris Green wrote:
Broadback wrote:
My garage is about 4 feet from the house (side to side) with a drop of
30" from the cables exit to entrance. There are 2 cables, the alarm and
electric lighting cable. On installation these were protected by round
plastic conduit. Sadly this was broken by a workman, unnoticed at the
time. However it has since degraded further and needs replacing. As it
would bee difficult to access the cables ends and disconnect I need a
product that I can "slip" over. Any ideas please?

You can get split, round, flexible conduit.:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Spira.../dp/B00V6DHMJC

I think you should be able to buy this at most electrical wholesalers
and even at places like B&Q though I can't see it at Screwfix or
Toolstation.

Many thanks for the info. I have found the same in white as suggested by
Chris, now ordered. Cheers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 09:38, Broadback wrote:
My garage is about 4 feet from the house (side to side) with a drop of
30" from the cables exit to entrance. There are 2 cables, the alarm and
electric lighting cable. On installation these were protected by round
plastic conduit. Sadly this was broken by a workman, unnoticed at the
time. However it has since degraded further and needs replacing. As it
would bee difficult to access the cables ends and disconnect I need a
product that I can "slip" over. Any ideas please?

Does it have to be round? Square conduit is two piece - a U shaped piece
that can be fitted behind the wire(s) and a clip on cover.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 09:38, Broadback wrote:
My garage is about 4 feet from the house (side to side) with a drop of
30" from the cables exit to entrance. There are 2 cables, the alarm
and electric lighting cable. On installation these were protected by
round plastic conduit. Sadly this was broken by a workman, unnoticed
at the time. However it has since degraded further and needs
replacing. As it would bee difficult to access the cables ends and
disconnect I need a product that I can "slip" over. Any ideas please?

plastic foam pipe insulation
And some UV proof duct tape?

Else the birds will have it for nests

The professional electricans who did the original wiring
on my house just used a length of yellow gas pipe as
conduit (1976) to run power from house, under a path and
up into the garage 1 meter away. It's really tough stuff.

Might not comply with 'regs' today.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2019 12:47, alan_m wrote:
On 24/10/2019 09:38, Broadback wrote:
My garage is about 4 feet from the house (side to side) with a drop of
30" from the cables exit to entrance. There are 2 cables, the alarm
and electric lighting cable. On installation these were protected by
round plastic conduit. Sadly this was broken by a workman, unnoticed
at the time. However it has since degraded further and needs
replacing. As it would bee difficult to access the cables ends and
disconnect I need a product that I can "slip" over. Any ideas please?

Does it have to be round? Square conduit is two piece - a U shaped piece
that can be fitted behind the wire(s) and a clip on cover.

Although that tends to be for internal use and IIRC does not have much
UV resistance.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If it is only a 4ft length and the cables are not too large split the conduit along its length and spring it open whilst pushing the cables in. A strip of insulating tape should reseal the split.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green explained :
You can get split, round, flexible conduit.:-

That would flex, I think the OP needs something a bit more rigid to
span the distance. Mini truking might do for what he wants, its rigid,
open along one side, with a clip on lid. He might need to chew the rest
of the broken conduit off first, with a pair of snips..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
My garage is about 4 feet from the house (side to side) with a drop of
30" from the cables exit to entrance. There are 2 cables, the alarm and
electric lighting cable. On installation these were protected by round
plastic conduit. Sadly this was broken by a workman, unnoticed at the
time. However it has since degraded further and needs replacing. As it
would bee difficult to access the cables ends and disconnect I need a
product that I can "slip" over. Any ideas please?

You can get split, round, flexible conduit.:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Black-Spira.../dp/B00V6DHMJC

I think you should be able to buy this at most electrical wholesalers
and even at places like B&Q though I can't see it at Screwfix or
Toolstation.

Many thanks for the info. I have found the same in white as suggested by
Chris, now ordered. Cheers

Too late now, but I'd have looked at Unistrut with a clip-on cover.
Gives very good physical protection and support.

Something like https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/enclo...trips/7321698/

SteveW