Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flavel Caress HE gas fire?

Installed only 4 years ago and only had little
use and now will not strike up. You can hold the
lever down to bring up the pilot light, but on releasing
the lever, instead of the fire bursting into life, the pilot light
just goes out.

The gas engineer who installed it thinks it might be
a thermostat problem and proposes to charge £90 to
replace it and then, if still a problem, to charge
a further £190 to change the gas valve. (And will
not give a reduced quote to replace both anyway
despite that a large part of the effort involved
would be common to both operations)

THis is on top of already having paod £!60 this year
for the service and replacement of the front bar
supporting the coals.

I'm loth to spend money when the cause of the fault
remains unknown lest the total money paid this year
would exceed the cost of a completely new fire.

Does anyone have experience of this particular gas fire
and its faults?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 8 October 2019 19:12:17 UTC+1, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
[...]

Thermocouple failure is most likely. Bad gas valve a lot less likely. ISTR paying around £6 for the last thermocouple.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 21:31, alan_m wrote:
On 08/10/2019 21:05, wrote:

Does anyone have experience of this particular gas fire
and its faults?

Thermocouple failure is most likely. Bad gas valve a lot less likely.
ISTR paying around £6 for the last thermocouple.

+1
Most probably the thermocouple (not thermostat), a component costing
less than a fiver but replacement cost will be mainly labour.

The pilot light heats up the thermocouple which in turns enables the gas
value to be turned on to provide gas to the pilot when you release the
manual lever/switch.

To the OP - try manually holding the pilot light on for 60 seconds
before releasing the lever/switch. You may be able to just see the tip
of the thermcouple in the pilot flame. It should be glowing red from the
heat of the pilot light.

The pilot flame may not be large enough or has been directed away from
the thermocouple as a result of a small piece of crude partially
blocking the pilot jet.

I'd be surprised if it is a thermocouple rather than one of those
devices where a liquid is vapourised because there is no electrical
supply to the gas fire other than the 1.5V cell used for the igniter;
the few mV from a thermocouple being IMHO too feeble to operate
a mechanical valve.

But thanks for your comment.

Well you might be surprised but the electrical output of a thermocouple can
hold a solenoid open. One with a lot of very fine windings I believe but
they do work.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:
I'd be surprised if it is a thermocouple rather than one of those
devices where a liquid is vapourised because there is no electrical
supply to the gas fire other than the 1.5V cell used for the igniter;
the few mV from a thermocouple being IMHO too feeble to operate
a mechanical valve.

But thanks for your comment.

Well you might be surprised but the electrical output of a thermocouple can
hold a solenoid open. One with a lot of very fine windings I believe but
they do work.

Yes, certainly the flame failure devices on hobs for caravans/boats
use thermocouples to hold a valve open using a solenoid. Excellent
way of providing a basically failsafe system (though of course a
sticky solenoid *might* stick open).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 21:05, wrote:

[...]

I've always understood that a bimetallic strip sits in the pilot
light. When it get hot it bends and opens the main valve.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

Installed only 4 years ago and only had little
use and now will not strike up. You can hold the
lever down to bring up the pilot light, but on releasing
the lever, instead of the fire bursting into life, the pilot light
just goes out.

try this, hold the pilot leaver on for 10seconds then release it very very slowly

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 22:10, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

I'd be surprised if it is a thermocouple rather than one of those
devices where a liquid is vapourised because there is no electrical
supply to the gas fire other than the 1.5V cell used for the igniter;
the few mV from a thermocouple being IMHO too feeble to operate
a mechanical valve.

Thermocouples were used extensively on older boilers that had a
permanent pilot light. They held the gas valve on!

Modern boilers don't have pilot lights

see page 25. para 3.2.3 of the manual for your fire

https://www.flavelfires.co.uk/media/...uctions_55.pdf

Where it states that the pilot light heats up a thermocouple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2019 23:44, Dave W wrote:

I've always understood that a bimetallic strip sits in the pilot
light. When it get hot it bends and opens the main valve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiCmfW1rTRY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and service manual that came with the fire?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try
cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and
service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

An FAQ. You need no legal qualifications for doing your own gas
plumbing, only competence. And it is quite possible that you are
competent to replace a thermocouple and clean a gas jet. The main thing
is probably knowing what you don't know, and either finding out or
leaving well alone.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try
cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and
service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

Well in that case bend over and drop your pants as youre gonna get
rogered.

If your fire doesnt have a remote control then I believe it uses a
conventional thermocouple. These only make an electrical connection so
youre not tampering with any gas connection.

If you have a remote it uses an oxy pilot assembly which does involve a
gas connection.

Personally Id tackle either but the former shouldnt deter you from a DIY
repair.

Your service man sounds like an utter shyster. The symptoms are totally
characteristic of a failed thermocouple and they only cost a few quid. It
*could* be the gas valve but only a con man would change that before trying
a new thermocouple.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 10:25, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try
cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and
service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

But if you had read it, you would have found out that...

"Note : Because this appliance is fitted with an atmosphere sensing
Oxy-Pilot it is not possible to replace the thermocouple separately,
because the thermocouple position is factory set to a tight tolerance.
Any replacement of parts on the pilot requires a complete new pilot
assembly." (Page 34 (MC models), and page 37 (SC models)

You could also look up the part numbers and find out the replacement
cost to find out whether you're being ripped off or not.

In any case, if you don't trust the gas safe engineer - find another one.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 11:08, Tim+ wrote:
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try
cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and
service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

Well in that case bend over and drop your pants as youre gonna get
rogered.

If your fire doesnt have a remote control then I believe it uses a
conventional thermocouple. These only make an electrical connection so
youre not tampering with any gas connection.

If you have a remote it uses an oxy pilot assembly which does involve a
gas connection.

It's not remote controlled (lever at right hand side) but it DOES have
an oxy-pilot assembly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 11:12, John Kenyon wrote:
[...]

Thanks, I had already quoted that bit to the gas engineer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 11:08, Tim+ wrote:
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try
cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and
service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

Well in that case bend over and drop your pants as youre gonna get
rogered.

If your fire doesnt have a remote control then I believe it uses a
conventional thermocouple. These only make an electrical connection so
youre not tampering with any gas connection.

If you have a remote it uses an oxy pilot assembly which does involve a
gas connection.

It's not remote controlled (lever at right hand side) but it DOES have
an oxy-pilot assembly.

Okay. Theyre not that expensive. (About £36 delivered). Interesting page
here with info on how they work. Pilot might just have a fluffed up air
intake.

https://dengarden.com/home-improveme...t-half-an-hour

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Kenyon wrote:
On 09/10/2019 10:25, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try
cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and
service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

But if you had read it, you would have found out that...

"Note : Because this appliance is fitted with an atmosphere sensing
Oxy-Pilot it is not possible to replace the thermocouple separately,
because the thermocouple position is factory set to a tight tolerance.
Any replacement of parts on the pilot requires a complete new pilot
assembly." (Page 34 (MC models), and page 37 (SC models)

Having looked at several pictures Id say that it uses a perfectly standard
(cheap) thermocouple and that I personally would be quite happy to replace
just the thermocouple.

Yes, positioning is important but the bracket holding it look designed to
hold it in the right place without adjustment.

Given that replacing it will cost less than a fiver and doesnt involve
messing with any gas connections it seems a bit of a no brainer to me. At
worst, the flame wont stay lit and youll be an extra £5 out of pocket.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 11:44, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

but must also legally be a registered installer which, of course,
I'm not!

Are you the home owner or just renting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 13:20, alan_m wrote:
On 09/10/2019 11:44, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

but must also legally be a registered installer which, of course,
I'm not!

Are you the home owner or just renting?

My wife owns the home; I suppose that you might consider
me to be the lodger :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ was thinking very hard :
Your service man sounds like an utter shyster. The symptoms are totally
characteristic of a failed thermocouple and they only cost a few quid. It
*could* be the gas valve but only a con man would change that before trying
a new thermocouple.

+1 There's a lot of it about..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

the few mV from a thermocouple being IMHO too feeble to operate
a mechanical valve.

Naah, it's the current that creates the magnetic field.

Check the thermocouple is getting hot, possibly by using an external gas torch.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 9 October 2019 14:17:43 UTC+1, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
My wife owns the home; I suppose that you might consider
me to be the lodger :-)

Or the kept man :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 14:16, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

As it happens, it now seems that I'm due a free remedy by Flavel
themselves ...

https://www.flavelfires.co.uk/service-call-centre

... having had the thing serviced regularly since installation.

That says that you would have had to paid for a oxy-pilot assembly every
year as part of the service.

If the oxy-pilot assembly hasn't been changed in the previous 4 years
then this guarantee is void.

The fact that they want you to change the pilot assembly every year
suggests that is the weak point in the system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try
cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and
service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

if it's your own, you may - it's only when you charge someone for your
services that a qualificxation comes into it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Thomas Prufer wrote :
Naah, it's the current that creates the magnetic field.

The current operates the solenoid, but the solenoid is not able to
operate the valve, the solenoid is only able to retain the valve in the
open position. The appliance operator provides the effort needed to
open the valve, the solenoid can then latch it.

Check the thermocouple is getting hot, possibly by using an external gas
torch.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2019 16:32, alan_m wrote:
On 09/10/2019 14:16, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

As it happens, it now seems that I'm due a free remedy by Flavel
themselves ...

https://www.flavelfires.co.uk/service-call-centre

... having had the thing serviced regularly since installation.

That says that you would have had to paid for a oxy-pilot assembly every
year as part of the service.

If the oxy-pilot assembly hasn't been changed in the previous 4 years
then this guarantee is void.

The fact that they want you to change the pilot assembly every year
suggests that is the weak point in the system.

It will be the oxypilot that needs a good clean and try a new battery
(duracell). The oxypilot will be £40-50 to buy and not a fiver as an
earlier post. Oxypilots are a calibrated pilot assembly specific to that
appliance. Get a second opinion as it may well be something and nothing.
Im Gas Safe registered
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steph wrote:
On 09/10/2019 16:32, alan_m wrote:
On 09/10/2019 14:16, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:

As it happens, it now seems that I'm due a free remedy by Flavel
themselves ...

https://www.flavelfires.co.uk/service-call-centre

... having had the thing serviced regularly since installation.

That says that you would have had to paid for a oxy-pilot assembly every
year as part of the service.

If the oxy-pilot assembly hasn't been changed in the previous 4 years
then this guarantee is void.

The fact that they want you to change the pilot assembly every year
suggests that is the weak point in the system.

It will be the oxypilot that needs a good clean and try a new battery
(duracell). The oxypilot will be £40-50 to buy and not a fiver as an
earlier post.

Nobody has said than an oxypilot was only a fiver.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2019 23:04, Steph wrote:

It will be the oxypilot that needs a good clean and try a new battery
(duracell).

Surely the battery is only the power source for the spark to initially
light the pilot. Once lit it's the thermocouple that provides the power
to keep the valve open

The oxypilot will be £40-50 to buy and not a fiver as an
earlier post.

An oxipilot appears to just be an assembly that contains a thermocouple,
a pilot jet and a (spark) electrode.

Its only an individual thermocouple that has been quoted as a fiver.

Oxypilots are a calibrated pilot assembly specific to that
appliance.

What do the manufacturers calibrate? It just appears that the one piece
replacement containing 3 separate items is functionally no different to
what has previously fitted to boilers for many decades that didn't
require any calibration other than the correct physical positioning to
get the thermocouple tip in the flame.

For the professional gas technician replacing all items as a combined
unit may be cost effective as it could cure 3 potential different
"faults" in one go and most of the cost will be the call out and labour.

What the manufacture may have done in a Oxypilot is to make the whole
pilot assembly it cheaper to manufacture by crimping components to a
bracket rather than using screws/nuts and hence making it difficult or
impossible to disassemble.

Get a second opinion as it may well be something and nothing.
Im* Gas Safe registered

Wouldn't the second opinion be based on the same educated guesses and
any home visit to do otherwise cost the OP money probably to the amount
previously quoted?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The oxypilot is carefully factory set so the flame just impinges on the tip of the thermocouple. If the oxygen content of the available air reduces (flue gases spill back into the roomspace) the flame lifts off the tube seeking oxygen and in so doing ceases to contact the thermocouple. The thermocouple cools and the gas valve closed.
The assembly must be kept clean as the slightest obstruction will prevent the thermocouple heating during the initial light up of the appliance.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cynic wrote:
The oxypilot is carefully factory set so the flame just impinges on the
tip of the thermocouple. If the oxygen content of the available air
reduces (flue gases spill back into the roomspace) the flame lifts off
the tube seeking oxygen and in so doing ceases to contact the
thermocouple. The thermocouple cools and the gas valve closed.
The assembly must be kept clean as the slightest obstruction will prevent
the thermocouple heating during the initial light up of the appliance.

Well yes, but its not rocket science and nor is it calibrated. Its just
manufactured to hold the thermocouple in the right place without needing
any post-installation alignment.

If it were mine and it had a faulty thermocouple, Id try fitting a
universal thermocouple in its place. Clearly a step to far for the OP
though.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2019 19:14, alan_m wrote:
[...]

Being the OP (and victim :-) ) in this matter, I've been doing a lot
of reading around, and this is my understanding ...

In normal operation the pilot flame plays over the thermocouple as
expected.

In low oxygen situations, the gas leaves the pilot hole but does not
actually burn until it has passed the end of the thermocouple so
cooling it down.

Quite a clever pseudo-mechanical invention.

The cost of calibration is that the thermocoouple has to be accurately
position with respect to the pilot hole to ensure correct safe operation
as above.

HTH

(I knew nothing at all about this only a week ago)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In most cases I encountered while working, the thermocouple was solidly mounted into the assembly thus precluding sticking a generic thermocouple in as a replacement.
If cleaning doesn't solve the problem you will have to fork out for a correct replacement part.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cynic wrote:
In most cases I encountered while working, the thermocouple was solidly
mounted into the assembly thus precluding sticking a generic thermocouple
in as a replacement.
If cleaning doesn't solve the problem you will have to fork out for a
correct replacement part.

Well if youd had one in your hands then I guess it might not be possible.
Looking at the Oxypilot assembly, it doesnt look that solidly mounted.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m... 310867341303

Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try
cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and
service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

if it's your own, you may - it's only when you charge someone for your
services that a qualificxation comes into it.

I was told I'm not supposed to move/replace my gas piping (as in the supply line between the meter and the boiler/fire/cooker) in my own house (which I obviously ignored).