Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim+[_5_] Tim+[_5_] is offline

Default Flavel Caress HE gas fire?

John Kenyon wrote:
On 09/10/2019 10:25, Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downstairs Computer wrote:
On 09/10/2019 03:57, Cynic wrote:
Probably has an oxygen depletion sensing thermocouple assembly. Try
cleaning it as a first step. Do you still have the installation and
service manual that came with the fire?

Yes, I have the manual but I'm not legally qualified to tamper with
any part of the gas system.

But if you had read it, you would have found out that...

"Note : Because this appliance is fitted with an atmosphere sensing
€˜Oxy-Pilot it is not possible to replace the thermocouple separately,
because the thermocouple position is factory set to a tight tolerance.
Any replacement of parts on the pilot requires a complete new pilot
assembly." (Page 34 (MC models), and page 37 (SC models)

Having looked at several pictures Id say that it uses a perfectly standard
(cheap) thermocouple and that I personally would be quite happy to replace
just the thermocouple.

Yes, positioning is important but the bracket holding it look designed to
hold it in the right place without adjustment.

Given that replacing it will cost less than a fiver and doesnt involve
messing with any gas connections it seems a bit of a no brainer to me. At
worst, the flame wont stay lit and youll be an extra £5 out of pocket.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls