Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default WiFi Booster/ Extender

Seen in Aldi today - a double 13amp socket with charger USB and WiFi
Extender.
Could be useful.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:

Seen in Aldi today - a double 13amp socket with charger USB and WiFi
Extender.
Could be useful.

Fitting in a metal back-box at ankle-height doesn't sound ideal for
signal levels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote in news:gvjebhFd0c2U1
@mid.individual.net:

John wrote:

Seen in Aldi today - a double 13amp socket with charger USB and WiFi
Extender.
Could be useful.

Fitting in a metal back-box at ankle-height doesn't sound ideal for
signal levels

My usual laptop use is about 2 metres from a socket.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2019 12:01, Andy Burns wrote:
John wrote:

Seen in Aldi today - a double 13amp socket with charger USB and WiFi
Extender.
Could be useful.

Fitting in a metal back-box at ankle-height doesn't sound ideal for
signal levels

They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you
have one that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the available
bandwidth communicating with the base station.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown expressed precisely :
They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you have one
that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the available
bandwidth communicating with the base station.

An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main
router and usualy free.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 14:02:25 UTC+1, wrote:
Martin Brown expressed precisely :
They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you have one
that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the available
bandwidth communicating with the base station.

An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main
router and usualy free.

Part of the problem would be having to have it wired, as that would mostly negate it's usefulness.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

So this is over the wiring is it? Or is it just a booster by receiving on
one channel and transmitting on another. I thought these days the way to go
was the mesh protocol.
I'll spare you my rant on putting data on the mains to interfere with radio
signals this time.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John" wrote in message
2.222...
Seen in Aldi today - a double 13amp socket with charger USB and WiFi
Extender.
Could be useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave brought next idea :
Part of the problem would be having to have it wired, as that would mostly
negate it's usefulness.

I think some can be used wirelessly, they just need power..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Martin Brown expressed precisely :
They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you
have one
that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the available
bandwidth communicating with the base station.

An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main
router and usualy free.

Part of the problem would be having to have it wired, as that would mostly
negate it's usefulness.

No it does not when you want to have better wifi coverage
around the larger than normal house or multi story house
where a single router doesnt cover very well so you can use
your phone or tablet anywhere you like and in the garden etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2019 15:28, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 14:02:25 UTC+1, wrote:
Martin Brown expressed precisely :
They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you have one
that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the available
bandwidth communicating with the base station.

An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main
router and usualy free.

Part of the problem would be having to have it wired, as that would mostly negate it's usefulness.

Depends what you are trying to do. I wanted to have a new Wifi network
covering the parts of the house that the base station was weak in and so
did it by sharing and stealing some of the wired bandwidth for the TV.

Most Wifi extenders come configured to be almost plug and play network
rebroadcasters on the same channel(s) just needing a password and with a
simple web interface to set them up. Configuring a router to do this is
often possible but involves a lot of reconfiguration.

Ethernet over mains is OK if you only have a small number of remote
nodes that can be wired. It annoys RSGB members a bit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

Ethernet over mains is OK if you only have a small number of remote
nodes that can be wired. It annoys RSGB members a bit.

I played around a bit with it but found (in our house anyway) that it
rarely did any better than a WiFi connection. As soon as I tried it
over a distance where WiFi was getting flakey the 'over mains'
connection was just as bad.

My wired ethernet 'through the trees' to the garage is much the best! :-)

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

We all used to wire everything,

And then we invented these funky mobile phones
and tablets and some of us got real radical and
did that with our laptops too.

In fact few have a desktop computer anymore.

nothing wrong with wire.

Bit of a nuisance with your mobile phone tho.

wrote:
Martin Brown expressed precisely :
They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you
have one
that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the
available
bandwidth communicating with the base station.

An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main
router and usualy free.

Part of the problem would be having to have it wired, as that would
mostly negate it's usefulness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2019 17:36, Martin Brown wrote:
Ethernet over mains is OK

It's never Ok and is really a massive source of electrical ****nes. Do
proper wireless bridging or install ethernet but don't use mains wiring
for this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 3 Oct 2019 03:15:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the abnormal idiot's latest troll

....and much better air in here!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 17:36:53 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:
snip

Most Wifi extenders come configured to be almost plug and play network
rebroadcasters on the same channel(s) just needing a password and with a
simple web interface to set them up. Configuring a router to do this is
often possible but involves a lot of reconfiguration.

Depending on the router.

I had an old Belkin cable router running as an AP for a few years that
failed the other day. I dug out an equally old but unused Edimax cable
router (given to me by a mate) and used that to replace the Belkin.

Upon access to the WEB GUI (via Wifi) I was offered a 'Setup Wizard'
and one of the option templates was 'AP Mode'. I selected that, set
the SSID and Passphrase to the same as the old one, connected the LAN
cables back up (them acting as a switch) and away it went (my Mobile
phone reconnected on it's own). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/10/2019 11:59, John wrote:
Seen in Aldi today - a double 13amp socket with charger USB and WiFi
Extender.
Could be useful.

OMG
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 15:35:56 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
We all used to wire everything, nothing wrong with wire.

would be interesting to see how peole use telephone if they all had to be wired.
It would make walking down the street even more dangerous than it is.

Brian

--
----- --

wrote:
Martin Brown expressed precisely :
They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you
have one
that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the available
bandwidth communicating with the base station.

An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main
router and usualy free.

Part of the problem would be having to have it wired, as that would mostly
negate it's usefulness.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 17:36:57 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:
On 02/10/2019 15:28, whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 14:02:25 UTC+1, wrote:
Martin Brown expressed precisely :
They work OK for projecting the signal into the room. More so if you have one
that accepts a wired internet feed and broadcasts that.

Simple minded plug and play Wifi extenders use up to half the available
bandwidth communicating with the base station.

An old / spare router modem is much more useful, wired to a the main
router and usualy free.

Part of the problem would be having to have it wired, as that would mostly negate it's usefulness.

Depends what you are trying to do.

I thought the idea was to have wireless exdended.

I wanted to have a new Wifi network
covering the parts of the house that the base station was weak in and so
did it by sharing and stealing some of the wired bandwidth for the TV.

Most Wifi extenders come configured to be almost plug and play network
rebroadcasters on the same channel(s) just needing a password and with a
simple web interface to set them up.

I know I set one up for my brother.
I used to have an intercom that worked the same, in that it uses the mains cable on the ring main, so there was NO need for an aditional cable.

Configuring a router to do this is
often possible but involves a lot of reconfiguration.

I don;t think that is possible with the BT router my brother had.

Ethernet over mains is OK if you only have a small number of remote
nodes that can be wired. It annoys RSGB members a bit.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 2 October 2019 18:16:05 UTC+1, Chris Green wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

Ethernet over mains is OK if you only have a small number of remote
nodes that can be wired. It annoys RSGB members a bit.

I played around a bit with it but found (in our house anyway) that it
rarely did any better than a WiFi connection. As soon as I tried it
over a distance where WiFi was getting flakey the 'over mains'
connection was just as bad.

My wired ethernet 'through the trees' to the garage is much the best! :-)

and if you secure it well enough you can use it as a zip wire ;-) hours of fun, well perhaps minutes of fun.