Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Nitrile Foam Gloves and Neon Testers

I always wear nitrile foam gloves for electrical work. It makes me feel
safer and gives me extra grip as I get older and weaker.

Yesterday, my son tackled me and said that the foam conducts. And he can
prove it. So, we touched one of the neon testers to live, and I lit it
up, through the gloves. Slightly less bright than without the glove.
But, it was definitely glowing a bit.

So, I pointed out that I was standing on a vinyl floor, on concrete,
wearing rubber trainers, etc. The tester contains a resistor (although I
have not found out the resistance yet - anyone know?)

So, the gloves are only a bit of the resistance in the chain. Anyone
know what the gloves' resistance is? Does that reduce a lot with wear?

I'm going to continue wearing them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 September 2019 14:33:34 UTC+1, GB wrote:
I always wear nitrile foam gloves for electrical work. It makes me feel
safer and gives me extra grip as I get older and weaker.

Yesterday, my son tackled me and said that the foam conducts. And he can
prove it. So, we touched one of the neon testers to live, and I lit it
up, through the gloves. Slightly less bright than without the glove.
But, it was definitely glowing a bit.

So, I pointed out that I was standing on a vinyl floor, on concrete,
wearing rubber trainers, etc. The tester contains a resistor (although I
have not found out the resistance yet - anyone know?)

So, the gloves are only a bit of the resistance in the chain. Anyone
know what the gloves' resistance is? Does that reduce a lot with wear?

I'm going to continue wearing them.

the gloves don't resist, they capacitate, or some such word.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 12 September 2019 14:33:34 UTC+1, GB wrote:
I always wear nitrile foam gloves for electrical work. It makes me feel
safer and gives me extra grip as I get older and weaker.

I assume this is still for electrical work rather than anything else that might require grip.

they mention such things here.

https://systemofyoursafety.com/top-5...s-2018-review/

If they are wet then that might compromised the safety aspect.

Yesterday, my son tackled me and said that the foam conducts. And he can
prove it. So, we touched one of the neon testers to live, and I lit it
up, through the gloves. Slightly less bright than without the glove.
But, it was definitely glowing a bit.

doesnt really prove much.

So, I pointed out that I was standing on a vinyl floor, on concrete,
wearing rubber trainers, etc. The tester contains a resistor (although I
have not found out the resistance yet - anyone know?)

Couldnlt see it on my neon 'driver and the other one has a LED and I can;t see that either.
No info here
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Neon_screwdriver

So, the gloves are only a bit of the resistance in the chain. Anyone
know what the gloves' resistance is? Does that reduce a lot with wear?

Could ask the manufacter, but they might be concenred on giving advice and then something goes wrong.

I'm going to continue wearing them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Sep 2019 14:33:31 +0100, GB wrote:

The tester contains a resistor (although I have not found out the
resistance yet - anyone know?)

Some where between 1 and 10 M Ohm.

I'm going to continue wearing them.

Think I'd rather have nice dry skin than a wet hand inside even a
slighty conductive glove...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have a feeling that a neon can be lit even by a field, ie electrostatic
voltage. If the actual resistance is greater than say half a me, then even
the most severe shock on home supplies is unlikely to do you any harm.

I used to use neon's with a small coil on the bottom to check transmitters
were working same feet away from the aerial.
You only need to strike the neon in the first place after all.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"GB" wrote in message
I always wear nitrile foam gloves for electrical work. It makes me feel
safer and gives me extra grip as I get older and weaker.

Yesterday, my son tackled me and said that the foam conducts. And he can
prove it. So, we touched one of the neon testers to live, and I lit it up,
through the gloves. Slightly less bright than without the glove. But, it
was definitely glowing a bit.

So, I pointed out that I was standing on a vinyl floor, on concrete,
wearing rubber trainers, etc. The tester contains a resistor (although I
have not found out the resistance yet - anyone know?)

So, the gloves are only a bit of the resistance in the chain. Anyone know
what the gloves' resistance is? Does that reduce a lot with wear?

I'm going to continue wearing them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2019 14:33, GB wrote:

I always wear nitrile foam gloves for electrical work. It makes me feel
safer and gives me extra grip as I get older and weaker.

I tend to wear them for lots of DIY/woodwork these days - just for the
enhanced grip, and a bit of protection from splinters etc.

Yesterday, my son tackled me and said that the foam conducts. And he can
prove it. So, we touched one of the neon testers to live, and I lit it
up, through the gloves. Slightly less bright than without the glove.
But, it was definitely glowing a bit.

Worth noting that many modern foam gloves are designed to be slightly
conducting so as to be touch screen compatible.

The more important question is what current can they pass. Might be
interesting to test them with an insulation resistance tester...

So, I pointed out that I was standing on a vinyl floor, on concrete,
wearing rubber trainers, etc. The tester contains a resistor (although I
have not found out the resistance yet - anyone know?)

So, the gloves are only a bit of the resistance in the chain. Anyone
know what the gloves' resistance is? Does that reduce a lot with wear?

It could reduce with sweat, which is salty and conductive.

I'm going to continue wearing them.

I would not read much into what a neon screwdriver does or does not do
anyway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2019 20:01, John Rumm wrote:
On 12/09/2019 14:33, GB wrote:

I always wear nitrile foam gloves for electrical work. It makes me
feel safer and gives me extra grip as I get older and weaker.

I tend to wear them for lots of DIY/woodwork these days - just for the
enhanced grip, and a bit of protection from splinters etc.

Yesterday, my son tackled me and said that the foam conducts. And he
can prove it. So, we touched one of the neon testers to live, and I
lit it up, through the gloves. Slightly less bright than without the
glove. But, it was definitely glowing a bit.

Worth noting that many modern foam gloves are designed to be slightly
conducting so as to be touch screen compatible.

The more important question is what current can they pass. Might be
interesting to test them with an insulation resistance tester...

ok just did an experiment with some Screwfix "Dextrogrip" gloves...

With my old 500V Megger BMD1, crock clips on the leads clamped onto a
bit of folded over foam at the palm of the glove, and each clip spaced a
couple of mm from the other. Reading at 500V was out of range (i.e. =
200 MOhms)

On an older well worn pair, doing the same test on a bit of the fabric
of the cuff, I could get ~3 MOhms

So based on that limited experiment, not much to worry about!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/09/2019 14:33, GB wrote:
I always wear nitrile foam gloves for electrical work. It makes me feel
safer and gives me extra grip as I get older and weaker.

Yesterday, my son tackled me and said that the foam conducts. And he can
prove it. So, we touched one of the neon testers to live, and I lit it
up, through the gloves. Slightly less bright than without the glove.
But, it was definitely glowing a bit.

So, I pointed out that I was standing on a vinyl floor, on concrete,
wearing rubber trainers, etc. The tester contains a resistor (although I
have not found out the resistance yet - anyone know?)

So, the gloves are only a bit of the resistance in the chain. Anyone
know what the gloves' resistance is? Does that reduce a lot with wear?

I'm going to continue wearing them.

neon testers aren't exactly safe.

none contact sticks are safer but you must test them before trusting
them and maybe test them on a still live bit after checking the circuit
you want to work on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 12/09/2019 20:15, John Rumm wrote:

ok just did an experiment with some Screwfix "Dextrogrip" gloves...

They are the ones I favour.

With my old 500V Megger BMD1, crock clips on the leads clamped onto a
bit of folded over foam at the palm of the glove, and each clip spaced a
couple of mm from the other. Reading at 500V was out of range (i.e. =
200 MOhms)

On an older well worn pair, doing the same test on a bit of the fabric
of the cuff, I could get ~3 MOhms

So based on that limited experiment, not much to worry about!

Dave suggests not having sweaty palms, so try not to think of Pamela
Anderson.