Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default preventing a 2m x 0.95m wooden table from warping

I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm, in
either beech or oak.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I like
this company's tabletops.

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside? Or
would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber? I realise it
would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm, in
either beech or oak.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I like
this company's tabletops.

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside? Or
would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber? I realise it
would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Harry

I would suggest 3 short lengths of timber screwed to the underside. The
screws should be in slots to allow the table top to move and have
washers under their heads to allow you to tighten them. The timber
braces should be as thick as the table top.

9 legs is bonkers. You will find table leg brackets quite good if you
don't want to do any joinery.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CORNER-brac.../dp/B00MD0WZNU
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm, in
either beech or oak.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I like
this company's tabletops.

The only sensible number of legs is three.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm, in
either beech or oak.

Ive got tow like that.,

One is warped.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I like
this company's tabletops.

No worries, Mine have 4

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside? Or
would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber? I realise it
would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

Mine have a timber frame screwed underneath and 4 legs screwed to te
inside of that. Or two transverse baulks with legs coning off those.

Your biggest problem is in trying to find reasonably quarter sawn oak or
beech to stop it cupping

Thanks in advance!

Harry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

TimW wrote in :

[...]

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CORNER-brac...ackets/dp/B00M
D0WZNU TW

Hi Tim,

Thanks for this. When you say short, do you mean across the width?
Mightn't that allow sag in the middle of the length?

Those brackets look like just my kind of thing :-) They assume side
boards (sorry, I don't the technical name),which I'd forgotten about but
I should probably use some. I was also wondering about the steel option
so as to get more leg room under the table and be able to slide the arms
of an office chair under there. Recently I stayed somewhere where a
kingsize bed platform, at least twice the size of my desired table, was
sitting on a square of square-sectioned steel tube with support only in
two sides.

Thanks again,

Harry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 14:40, TimW wrote:
On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x
40mm, in
either beech or oak.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9Â* legs, which
[...]

As a kid, we had a nice mahogany dining table big enough for 6 people
and it had an brass handle that connected to a screw thread that
extended it out allowing a centre section to slot into place so that
8 people could sit around it.

We used to do whirlies on its nice polished surface (when closed and
parents not around) and it never broke.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 15:20, Harold Davis wrote:
TimW wrote in :

[...]

you wont get a lot over 2meters if its truly 40mm deep
You can aded some longitudinals - best is in the center where you weont
bang knees on it, notched to go OVER the cross bracing.
Counterbore deep and use long screws. Cos it needs to be maybe 6" deep.

--
Of what good are dead warriors? €¦ Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 15:20, Harold Davis wrote:

Hi Tim,

Thanks for this. When you say short, do you mean across the width?
Mightn't that allow sag in the middle of the length?
yes, I meant across the width. The purpose is not to stiffen or

strengthen but to prevent cupping of the top (which we presume is solid
timber?? simply edge joined??) While allowing inevitable shrinkage
through drying.
Tim w
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm, in
either beech or oak.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I like
this company's tabletops.

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside? Or
would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber? I realise it
would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Harry

A friend built a table of similar dimensions from well seasoned walnut.
He used two legs found in a salvage yard. Each of legs originally
supported a large round table top. Each was a fairly heavy cast with a
wide circular foot and wide circular top with which to attach the new
table top.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not sure how relevant but thought I would post in case. I build 2 tables for outside out of scaffold boards. 170 X 90. I made a frame out if 2" X 1" timber (2" vertical) which was a few inches in from all the edges and put a brace across the middle. I then glued then screwed though the 2 X 1 up into the boards from underneath. 4 legs out of scaffold board too. Had them outside now for a few years and no issues rock solid.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2019 19:06, alan_m wrote:

A friend built a table of similar dimensions from well seasoned walnut.
He used two legs found in a salvage yard. Each of legs originally
supported a large round table top. Each was a fairly heavy cast with a
wide circular foot and wide circular top with which to attach the new
table top.

some pictures

http://www.admac.myzen.co.uk/table/index.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harold Davis" wrote in message
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm, in
either beech or oak.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I
like
this company's tabletops.

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside?

I'd do the entire frame and legs in welded steel and just have a wooden top.

Or would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber?
I realise it would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

See above.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Sep 2019 09:23:51 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I'd do the entire frame and legs in welded steel and just have a wooden top.

I'd hit you with your welded frame across your stupid face, senile troll!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x 40mm, in
either beech or oak.

I have a solid oak table that size, only four legs each 4in square.
Nothing reinforcing the top which weighs 1cwt I bought it from the local
auction house in July. Paid £270[*], probably less than a third of the
price of buying the timber to make one. The six chairs included in the
same lot I consider a bonus.

[*] which make this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Oak-Refectory-Dining-Table-by-Brights-of-Nettlebred/223547306434
very over priced.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9 legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I like
this company's tabletops.

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside? Or
would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber? I realise it
would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Harry

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DJC wrote in :

On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x
40mm, in either beech or oak.

I have a solid oak table that size, only four legs each 4in square.
Nothing reinforcing the top which weighs 1cwt I bought it from the
local auction house in July. Paid £270[*], probably less than a
third of the price of buying the timber to make one. The six chairs
included in the same lot I consider a bonus.

Sounds like a good buy. How wide are the staves?

£810 would buy you oak timber for a table of that width with five staves
with some money left over. Five is the number I'm thinking of going for.
I'm pleasantly surprised at how simple the job seems to be. No "proper"
carpentry seems to be required, and the only kit I'll need will be a pocket
hole jig, some corner braces, some longer clamps than I've got now, and
maybe some small L-brackets to help strengthen the rails near the legs.

[*] which make this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Oak...ble-by-Brights
-of-Nettlebred/223547306434 very over priced.

That one looks as though it has at least 10 staves.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 9 September 2019 19:06:05 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

A friend built a table of similar dimensions from well seasoned walnut.
He used two legs found in a salvage yard. Each of legs originally
supported a large round table top. Each was a fairly heavy cast with a
wide circular foot and wide circular top with which to attach the new
table top.

I misread that as saying 'from a well seasoned walnut'

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

On 30/09/2019 21:32, Harold Davis wrote:
DJC wrote in :

On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x
40mm, in either beech or oak.

I have a solid oak table that size, only four legs each 4in square.
Nothing reinforcing the top which weighs 1cwt I bought it from the
local auction house in July. Paid £270[*], probably less than a
third of the price of buying the timber to make one. The six chairs
included in the same lot I consider a bonus.

Sounds like a good buy. How wide are the staves?

approx 6", 5½", 3½", 8½", 7½", 8"

(no idea why they are such an irregular assortment of sizes.)

�810 would buy you oak timber for a table of that width with five staves
with some money left over. Five is the number I'm thinking of going for.
I'm pleasantly surprised at how simple the job seems to be. No "proper"
carpentry seems to be required, and the only kit I'll need will be a pocket
hole jig, some corner braces, some longer clamps than I've got now, and
maybe some small L-brackets to help strengthen the rails near the legs.

[*] which make this one
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Solid-Oak...ble-by-Brights
-of-Nettlebred/223547306434 very over priced.

That one looks as though it has at least 10 staves.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Preventing table leaf warping Rebel Woodworking 0 January 14th 05 03:50 AM
Metal (woodcore) door warping question... Blake Patterson Home Repair 3 October 17th 04 07:18 AM
Question about plywood and warping... myoung Woodworking 13 May 28th 04 08:01 PM
wood warping: help Ross Woodworking 7 December 4th 03 11:17 AM
Warping when Hardening and Tempering RWL Metalworking 12 October 22nd 03 03:53 AM