Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default preventing a 2m x 0.95m wooden table from warping

On 09/09/2019 14:40, TimW wrote:
On 09/09/2019 14:28, Harold Davis wrote:
I am planning to make a dining table, dimensions 2000mm x 960mm x
40mm, in
either beech or oak.

The company selling me the timber suggests this would need 9Â* legs, which
is ridiculous. (I don't think I've ever seen a table with 9 legs before.)
It's a crucial part of the plan that the table have only 4 legs. But I
like
this company's tabletops.

What are my options? Bolt two lengths of steel tube to the underside? Or
would I need a rectangle? Would it be possible to use timber? I
realise it
would have to be bulkier. What would people recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Harry

I would suggest 3 short lengths of timber screwed to the underside. The
screws should be in slots to allow the table top to move and have
washers under their heads to allow you to tighten them. The timber
braces should be as thick as the table top.

9 legs is bonkers. You will find table leg brackets quite good if you
don't want to do any joinery.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CORNER-brac.../dp/B00MD0WZNU

TW

As a kid, we had a nice mahogany dining table big enough for 6 people
and it had an brass handle that connected to a screw thread that
extended it out allowing a centre section to slot into place so that
8 people could sit around it.

We used to do whirlies on its nice polished surface (when closed and
parents not around) and it never broke.