Blake Patterson

Default Metal (woodcore) door warping question...

I had a doorframe/door replacement done in early February. It's a
pressed-wood / particleboard core door with metal sheet over both
sides with a large window in the middle. I leearned shortly after it
was installed that I need to paint the door, sealing it entirely as to
avoid warping. My intention was to do this in the following months
after things warmed up.

I never got around to it.

So now it is mid October and tomorrow temps run from morning to nite
from low of 45 to high of 60. It will be 2 weeks before I can get to
it again if I don't paint it this weekend. It is raining today but no
rain (currently) called for tomorrow. The situation is not ideal.

The door is not warped currently - it opens / shuts as easily as it
did when installed. I am wondering if warping is a guarantee if I
wait until NEXT spring to paint/seal this door. Will it almost
certainly warp?

Thanks.

bp
ameijers

"Blake Patterson" wrote in message
om...
[...]

???? Learned from who that it had to be painted? If the door is fully
skinned (ie, no exposed wood on top and bottom edges), and properly shimmed
and installed, warpage should not be a problem. Biggest reason to paint
steelclad doors when new is to avoid having to sand/scrub off all the rust
and crud before you paint them. If you have a large window in the middle,
need to make sure the trim on the outside doesn't let water into the
interior of the door- a thin bead of caulk will take care of that, but then
you have to scrape that out when you do paint. I've seen good-quality
steelclad doors go for a decade without warping or rusting, with nothing but
the factory primer on them, but they did have an overhang to protect them
from some of the weather.

aem sends....

Blake Patterson

"ameijers" wrote in message news:
???? Learned from who that it had to be painted? If the door is fully
skinned (ie, no exposed wood on top and bottom edges), and properly shimmed
and installed, warpage should not be a problem. Biggest reason to paint
steelclad doors when new is to avoid having to sand/scrub off all the rust
and crud before you paint them. If you have a large window in the middle,
need to make sure the trim on the outside doesn't let water into the
interior of the door- a thin bead of caulk will take care of that, but then
you have to scrape that out when you do paint. I've seen good-quality
steelclad doors go for a decade without warping or rusting, with nothing but
the factory primer on them, but they did have an overhang to protect them
from some of the weather.

aem sends....

The ends of the door are painted (just primered maybe?) so bare wood
is not visible - but they are not sealed off with metal strips like
the rest of the door. How does that affect things?

Thanks.

bp
Blake Patterson

....oh, and the door is receeded 7' under an overhang - it never gets
directly wet or in direct sun, ever.

bp