Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help to kill file with Mozilla Thunderbird please

I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 11:22, Broadback wrote:
I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

Highlight the from address
RIGHT click and select the "Filter on" option
The rest should be obvious
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 11:22, Broadback wrote:
I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

Right click on the "From" field at the top of the headers and then use
"Create Filter From"

It may be that they post through some anonymiser or with a forged From
address in which case you may have to accept some collateral damage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , messageboards@j-
towill.co.uk says...

I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

It might help if you told us which newsreader you are using.

I have no trouble finding email addresses using the
MicroPlanet Gravity newsreader but I don't need it to killfile
someone.

I just right click within the body of the text and select 'Add
to Bozo Bin' (which is what Gravity calls its Killfile).

Doesn't your newsreader have a similar facility?

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/19 11:22, Broadback wrote:
I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

You need to set up a message filter. I use Linux, and I can find
"Message Filters" under "Tools"; I see you use Windows, so it might be
under something else.

Firstly, click on the message of the poster you want to killfile. Then
press "Ctrl-U" (the control and U keys at the same time). This will
display the source information for that post. For example, the first few
lines of yours shows:

From: Broadback
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y

The "From" field is what you are after. Open "Message Filters". It
should show "Filters for uk.d-i-y. Click on "New". Give the new filter a
name (maybe the poster's name). The "Apply filter when" should have
"Manually run" and "Getting new mail" checked. Then change the radio
button to "Match any of the following". Next go to the drop down field
which shows "Subject", and change it to "From". Next check the options
shown for "contains". You may want to change it to something else.
Suppose your poster always uses xxxjohnxxxxx as his posting name , where
xxx can be anything or any length, but "john" always appears. So all you
need is "contains" and type "john" (without the quote marks!) in the
field. But beware! this will kill all messages from anyone where "john"
appears in their "from" info. You can change it to something else more
specific (for example, "Match all of the following").

You can add another condition by clicking on the "+" at the end of the
row. Maybe your poster always starts his subject with "load of rubbish",
so you can use that as a "Subject" "contains" condition.

You can then choose what to do if the condition(s) are met, by
completing the "Perform these actions" requirements. That's all there
is to it; don't forget to check that the filter has been enabled.

Remember, though, that these annoying posters often change their names
("nym shifting"), so you will need to review the filter conditions
regularly.

--

Jeff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 11:22, Broadback wrote:

I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please?

There are a number of ways to make the filter, and also a number of
things you can have it do. What will work best will depend on how you
need to identify them, and also what kind of removal you want:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...essage_Filters

So from address is a good thing to kill on, but so can be the
"organisation" header.

The action can range from simply marking their posts as "read", to
deleting them, killing the post and any sub thread, to killing the whole
thread.

I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

If he is in your kill file by then, do you care? :-)

Drop me a personal email if you want specific advice.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 11:47, Terry Casey wrote:
It might help if you told us which newsreader you are using.

ROFLMAO!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

some of us are sensitive and we burst into tears if we are kill filed...tee
hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 11:46, Martin Brown wrote:
On 29/08/2019 11:22, Broadback wrote:
I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

Right click on the "From" field at the top of the headers and then use
"Create Filter From"

It may be that they post through some anonymiser or with a forged From
address in which case you may have to accept some collateral damage.

Blocking all anonymous remailers is a fairly easy fix for that, there
can't be many legitimate uses for them on a group like this. It also has
a side benefit of getting rid of a number of the more prolific religious
nutters who prattle on about their karsies.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 11:47, Terry Casey wrote:
In article , messageboards@j-
towill.co.uk says...

I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

It might help if you told us which newsreader you are using.

Was there not clue enough in the tile of the message?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 12:00, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 29/08/19 11:22, Broadback wrote:
I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

You need to set up a message filter. I use Linux, and I can find
"Message Filters" under "Tools";Â* I see you use Windows, so it might be
under something else.

in windows you double click the message and it opens in a window.

then you click on the from address to select it

then right click and select create filter

fill in the fields as you want

and puff of smoke I've gone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 12:12, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 11:46:13 +0100, Martin Brown wrote:

On 29/08/2019 11:22, Broadback wrote:
I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his
email address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to
name the individual as I am sure he will flame me.

Right click on the "From" field at the top of the headers and then use
"Create Filter From"

It may be that they post through some anonymiser or with a forged From
address in which case you may have to accept some collateral damage.

Surely a dab of "AI", and the OP could have a trained filter that's as
good as human doing the job ?

How is the AI supposed to guess which posters offend the OP?

Or shall I add that to the growing list of things that "AI" *can't* do ?

AI can do lots of things but mind reading isn't one of them.
(at least not unless you have a cranial interface)

https://www.itpro.co.uk/621094/cebit...eads-your-mind

Not a consumer item as yet...

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can it see the header? All one can do is to kill on what it says in from.
Since many of the idiots post from Google there is no other easy way, you
just add the new idiot name.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Broadback" wrote in message
I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his email
address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to name the
individual as I am sure he will flame me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One thing I would say is ignore the flames they are no more than electrons
after all. Many of us have been here for years, indeed since the last
century, and you just develop a thick skin or sometimes mischievously play
with them.
Innocent smile.
Brian

--
----- --

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 29/08/2019 11:22, Broadback wrote:
I wish to kill file a specific poster on u.d-i-y. I cannot find his email
address, how can I do it please? I do now particularly wish to name the
individual as I am sure he will flame me.

Right click on the "From" field at the top of the headers and then use
"Create Filter From"

It may be that they post through some anonymiser or with a forged From
address in which case you may have to accept some collateral damage.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 20:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well there is a name for those, its starts with a b. its used in spam
filtering a lot by isps.

Bayesian filtering... its also used by the internal spam filter in
thunderbird... So each time you mark or unmark an email as spam it
learns what you think of as spam.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 20:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well there is a name for those, its starts with a b. its used in spam
filtering a lot by isps.
Brian

Bayesian statistics are frequently used to kill spam based on certain
heuristics and keywords present in your spam folder. It improves if you
train it. Thunderbird by default only has rule based filters.

You can add new header keywords but you cannot AFAIK filter on content.
The other main annoyance is a lack of wildcard matching (and a default
of match all of the above rules which catches me out from time to time).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 23:18, John Rumm wrote:
On 29/08/2019 20:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well there is a name for those, its starts with a b. its used in spam
filtering a lot by isps.

Bayesian filtering... its also used by the internal spam filter in
thunderbird... So each time you mark or unmark an email as spam it
learns what you think of as spam.

Also used in Pegasus Mail
Just drop a few offending emails into the spam folder and it starts
learning to automatically filter future occurrences. If you find that it
is incorrectly filtering similar emails just drag them out of the spam
folder and the learning process learns not to filter them. I find that
it works very well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 20:59:01 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Well there is a name for those, its starts with a b. its used in spam
filtering a lot by isps.
Brian

Like all "AI" it's just clever and fast pattern matching.

Real AI has to a lot more than just that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 05:26:59 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Well there is a name for those, its starts with a b. its used in spam
filtering a lot by isps.
Brian

Like all "AI" it's just clever and fast pattern matching.

Real AI has to a lot more than just that.

Will you shut your stupid senile gob finally, you auto-contradicting
clinically insane sociopathic idiot?

little ignorant ****."
MID: