Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Radiator Tapings

Ran into a space problem with a tall vertical radiator. The damned thing
has side entry and adding the width of the valves is creating problems for
the location.

Googling around found me one with bottom entry - right size but wrong
finish.

It occured to me - why don't makers build them with side entry at the top
and bottom entry at the bottom and leave it to the installer to orient the
radiator to suit the installation. No extra cost! Bottom entry could be
more astetically pleasing in some cases.

I saw one that had tapings for bottom and side and blanking plugs for the
installer to select.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You used to be able to get a radiator valve that had valve and lockshield combined that had a tube that extended into the radiator. We had one on a radiator in the last house but I have not seen one for years now, certainly not from the usual suspects, a good plumbers merchant might have some stock. Whether it will actually save you some space, I don't know? If the plan was to have a TRV then you will not get one with this sort of valve. Other options to explore are radiator adaptors plenty of extending ones about if you can get an angled one you should be able to tuck the valves below the radiator as an angled adaptor would probably occupy less space than a valve.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tricky Dicky wrote in
:

You used to be able to get a radiator valve that had valve and
lockshield combined that had a tube that extended into the radiator.
We had one on a radiator in the last house but I have not seen one for
years now, certainly not from the usual suspects, a good plumbers
merchant might have some stock. Whether it will actually save you some
space, I don't know? If the plan was to have a TRV then you will not
get one with this sort of valve. Other options to explore are radiator
adaptors plenty of extending ones about if you can get an angled one
you should be able to tuck the valves below the radiator as an angled
adaptor would probably occupy less space than a valve.

Richard

Our house was plumbed with these - now replaces as there is not a
thermostatic version of them and the regulations reguire installers to
fit thermostatic valves despite people misusing them. I think they were
called Twinfast Valves. I had no problems - but I think many people
misunderstood them and / or the internal tube got broken - or even
never installed.
We are persuing some 90degree chrome elbows.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2019 13:48, John wrote:
Tricky Dicky wrote in
:

[...]

I find the thermostatic valves aren't much good. Very noisy when half on
and you have to keep fiddling with them - you can't just set them and
forget.

--
Max Demian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I find the thermostatic valves aren't much good. Very noisy when half on
and you have to keep fiddling with them - you can't just set them and
forget.

I tend to agree - but feel there may be a benefit to distributing heat to
radiators that need the heat.

(If it's whistling a bit then it is nearly shut!?