Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to cap a radiator valve after removing radiator?

I have removed a radiator in a room that's changing use (and there
will be other things attached to the wall where the radiator was).

I'm happy enough that the lock-shield valve will be watertight and
tamper proof but I'm not at all convinced about the thermostatic valve
at the other end - in fact I've knocked it a couple of times and
provoked a squirt of water.

Is there anything designed to cap the end or, alternatively, what's the
best way to bodge it? It had a fairly large diameter union onto a
short stub which in turn was screwed into the radiator. Even if I
knew what size the nut is I'm not sure what one would need to make a
watertight cap.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2012 17:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Thermosatic valves are supplied with a maintenace cap. You remove the
thermosatic head and screw the cap down in its place this closes the
valve properly.

But it's highly desirable to fit the maintenance cap *before* removing
the radiator!
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
On 02/03/2012 17:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Thermosatic valves are supplied with a maintenace cap. You remove the
thermosatic head and screw the cap down in its place this closes the
valve properly.

But it's highly desirable to fit the maintenance cap *before* removing
the radiator!

Of course, but as these radiators were installed years before we moved
into this house I've no idea if the maintenance caps are still around
anywhere.

--
Chris Green

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 18:01:12 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

If you're quick, and I was once, you can remove the radiator valve by
undoing the nut while firmly pushing the valve onto the pipe, then
whipping off the valve with thumb ready to cover the pipe. Use a
reverse operation to place the compression cap on the end of the pipe.
If you're luck and quick you'll lose surprisingly little water.

If you have a normal open vented system bung corks in the vent pipe
and feed from the tank and very little water escapes. Do not have
more than one point in the pipe work open at time, that would allow
air in and water out...

Never had a pressurised system but I should imagine if you de
pressurise completely then seal it back up you can again open one
point at a time.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2012 19:53, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 18:01:12 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

If you're quick, and I was once, you can remove the radiator valve by
undoing the nut while firmly pushing the valve onto the pipe, then
whipping off the valve with thumb ready to cover the pipe. Use a
reverse operation to place the compression cap on the end of the pipe.
If you're luck and quick you'll lose surprisingly little water.

If you have a normal open vented system bung corks in the vent pipe
and feed from the tank and very little water escapes. Do not have
more than one point in the pipe work open at time, that would allow
air in and water out...

Never had a pressurised system but I should imagine if you de
pressurise completely then seal it back up you can again open one
point at a time.

I found the inertia of water in the pipe was significant in reducing
loss in the time the pipe was open. 16-20 ft of head is still over 0.5
Bar pressure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bill
writes
There is a fitting designed to do this, it is made by +GF+ I assume
George Fisher castings. It is a cast iron cap that screws onto the
radiator valve and blanks it off. I normally just walk into the local
Plumb Centre and ask for a couple and have no idea what they are
called. They are marked as either 3/4" or 1/2" depending on the size.
Plus a bit of PTFE tape of course.

I have just spent the last half hour Googling looking for them and
failed.

The best I can offer is a mobile phone picture of one, so if you are
desperate I'll upload one later. If you find the name let me know!!

Not quite what I was thinking of, but these look as if they would do.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-3-4-En...g-Nut-Fibre-Di
sc-/150589801535

http://tinyurl.com/78f88d7
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 02 Mar 2012 20:14:25 +0000, Fredxx wrote:

I found the inertia of water in the pipe was significant in reducing
loss in the time the pipe was open. 16-20 ft of head is still over 0.5
Bar pressure.

Yeah but with the system blocked off you don't have 1/2 a bar of
pressure squirting nasty black SLF onto the carpet or up the wall
paper...

You might get a desert spoonfull of drible but that's about all.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
In message , Bill
writes
There is a fitting designed to do this, it is made by +GF+ I assume
George Fisher castings. It is a cast iron cap that screws onto the
radiator valve and blanks it off. I normally just walk into the local
Plumb Centre and ask for a couple and have no idea what they are
called. They are marked as either 3/4" or 1/2" depending on the size.
Plus a bit of PTFE tape of course.

I have just spent the last half hour Googling looking for them and
failed.

The best I can offer is a mobile phone picture of one, so if you are
desperate I'll upload one later. If you find the name let me know!!

Not quite what I was thinking of, but these look as if they would do.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-2-3-4-En...g-Nut-Fibre-Di
sc-/150589801535

Wrong sex! The valve has a 'nut' connecting it to a male thread
sticking out of the radiator.

--
Chris Green

Removing radiator Andy UK diy 5 October 11th 05 02:57 PM
Removing a Radiator Nigel Heather UK diy 0 February 25th 05 05:50 PM
Removing a Radiator Nigel Heather UK diy 15 February 7th 05 10:28 PM
radiator valve much_to_do UK diy 1 October 19th 03 10:09 PM
Radiator valve to radiator tail coupling Lee Wright UK diy 1 August 22nd 03 10:11 AM