Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Optician

https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They do look intriguing. I use and like varifocals but there are times (and
in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better. These might fit that bill.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing.Â* I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better.Â* These might fit that bill.

1.25 and 1.5 from poundland do me....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Not an approach I'd considered, I must admit. The appeal of the ones in the
link of course is that they seem to be continuously variable: I can see that
being useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

Could be interesting. But I can't find any reviews.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bert Coules wrote:
Not an approach I'd considered, I must admit. The appeal of the ones in
the link of course is that they seem to be continuously variable: I can
see that being useful.

A multi element lens is not going to be ideal for specs.

--
*Why do the two "sanction"s (noun and verb) mean opposites?*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder Esquire" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

Could be interesting. But I can't find any reviews.

wonder what else will be diy soon ....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/D-I-Y-Denti...RoCw0UQAvD_BwE

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...

bet they aren't very durable either

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing. I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better. These might fit that bill.

1.25 and 1.5 from poundland do me....

not an option for people with short sight

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing.Â* I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better.Â* These might fit that bill.

I have varifocals plus a proper set of single prescription lenses set up
for computer use. I add to these clip-ons at +1.5 and +3 diopter for
reading small text and for close-up work.

eg eBay item 172952541377

Being a bit nerdy I would worry not only about astigmatism but other
aberrations in things like this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing.Â* I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better.Â* These might fit that bill.

IIRC they showed something similar on tomorrows world a long time ago.

They have also been suggested for third world countries too, using cheap
syringes for the fluid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 17:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...

They were initially designed for third world countries. I cam across
them 6 or 7 years ago.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/08/2019 21:41, Fredxx wrote:
On 27/08/2019 17:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...

They were initially designed for third world countries. I cam across
them 6 or 7 years ago.

I didn't know you had been to Ireland.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 20:25, tim... wrote:

not an option for people with short sight

"fully adjustable (-6D to + 3D)"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 21:41, Fredxx wrote:
On 27/08/2019 17:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...

They were initially designed for third world countries. I cam across
them 6 or 7 years ago.

Yeah, they are nothing new.

Third world countries now have testing/glazing centres though, where
they can get an eye exam and a 'proper' pair of glasses made.

These adjustable ones are handy to replace ready readers I suppose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote on 27/08/2019 :
IIRC they showed something similar on tomorrows world a long time ago.

I remember those!

They have also been suggested for third world countries too, using cheap
syringes for the fluid.

Do these use a liquid lens?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S was thinking very hard :
These adjustable ones are handy to replace ready readers I suppose.

Seems simpler and much cheaper to just carry a spare pair of readers of
the correct diopter.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 27/08/2019 20:41, newshound wrote:
On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing.Â* I use and like varifocals but there are
times (and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a
single prescription pair would be better.Â* These might fit that bill.

I have varifocals plus a proper set of single prescription lenses set up
for computer use. I add to these clip-ons at +1.5 and +3 diopter for
reading small text and for close-up work.

eg eBay item 172952541377

Being a bit nerdy I would worry not only about astigmatism but other
aberrations in things like this.

Always blame the varifocals if you fall down some pub steps when ****ed up.

The one thing that I have never really got used to with my varifocals
are the cut and cornered paving slabs in shopping precincts that rise
and fall in height for disabled access to buildings.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...

bet they aren't very durable either

tim

What do you for dirt between the lens?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bert Coules wrote

They do look intriguing. I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better. These might fit that bill.

Yeah, just ordered some.

I normally wear what works best for the computer screen and
now find it hard to read the shelf labels in the supermarket etc.
Be handy to be able to change the prescription on the fly for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 21:25:13 +0100, "dennis@home"
wrote:

On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing.* I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better.* These might fit that bill.

IIRC they showed something similar on tomorrows world a long time ago.

They have also been suggested for third world countries too, using cheap
syringes for the fluid.

I think these don't have fluid - in fact I was looking for variable
glasses some time ago, and nobody makes that type. These glasses have
two sliding lenses giving different strengths depending on sideways
separation. However it can't really be done because the horizontal
power will not be the same as the vertical power, resulting in
astigmatism, but seemingly not noticeable judging by the glowing
reviews.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 20:25:04 +0100, "tim..."
wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...

bet they aren't very durable either

tim

One of the reviews said don't use them on the beach because the sand
gets between the lenses.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing. I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better. These might fit that bill.

I have varifocals plus a proper set of single prescription lenses set up
for computer use. I add to these clip-ons at +1.5 and +3 diopter for
reading small text and for close-up work.

eg eBay item 172952541377

Doesnt work.

Being a bit nerdy I would worry not only about astigmatism but other
aberrations in things like this.

I know I dont have any of those from the proper professional eye test

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...

bet they aren't very durable either

tim

One of the reviews said don't use them on the beach because the sand
gets between the lenses.

they are just bloody binoculars...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 21:53, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
R D S was thinking very hard :
These adjustable ones are handy to replace ready readers I suppose.

Seems simpler and much cheaper to just carry a spare pair of readers of
the correct diopter.

pound shop readers are great I have them everywhere for convenience....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 17:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...

and who wants to look like Joe 90

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Joe-90-DVD-.../dp/B00006LSGB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 28 August 2019 07:10:25 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
and who wants to look like Joe 90

Some people must

https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/glas...4&aspect=front

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 27/08/2019 21:51, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
dennis@home wrote on 27/08/2019 :
IIRC they showed something similar on tomorrows world a long time ago.

I remember those!

They have also been suggested for third world countries too, using
cheap syringes for the fluid.

Do these use a liquid lens?

No, they have two rather complex lenses that slide over each other. The
final picture on the website shows how they work. Quite clever, but I'd
have thought there's a lot of distortion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 17:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

bet it doesn't allow for Astigmatism ...

Similar available on Amazon but with 0 or 1 star negative reviews

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 17:53, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

Could be interesting. But I can't find any reviews.

Try listings on Amazon for similar products to find that they all seem
to be crap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2019 17:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
https://whiterup.com/products/perfec...rjmVX9-8QRmdC8

"THE LAST GLASSES YOU'LL NEED!"

"Buy 2 & Get 3rd One 50% Off!"

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2019 01:09, Rod Speed wrote:
Bert Coules wrote
They do look intriguing.Â* I use and like varifocals but there are
times (and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a
single prescription pair would be better.Â* These might fit that bill.

Yeah, just ordered some.
I normally wear what works best for the computer screen and
now find it hard to read the shelf labels in the supermarket etc.
Be handy to be able to change the prescription on the fly for that.

Tell us how you get on. Could be fiddly to adjust "on the fly".

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 14:05:11 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I have varifocals plus a proper set of single prescription lenses set up
for computer use. I add to these clip-ons at +1.5 and +3 diopter for
reading small text and for close-up work.

eg eBay item 172952541377

Doesn¢t work.

Obviously it does, senile auto-contradicting idiot!

--
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp addressing Rot Speed:
"You really are a clueless pillock."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 10:09:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Yeah, just ordered some.

I normally wear what

Nobody gives a ****, lonely senile Ozzie pest! And that's how it was
supposed to be! LOL

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
On 27/08/2019 20:25, tim... wrote:

not an option for people with short sight

"fully adjustable (-6D to + 3D)"

I was referring to the "pick them up at the pound store" option

you can only do that for long-sight correction

(and they cost a pound in many shops)

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing. I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better. These might fit that bill.

I have varifocals plus a proper set of single prescription lenses set up
for computer use. I add to these clip-ons at +1.5 and +3 diopter for
reading small text and for close-up work.

eg eBay item 172952541377

Doesnt work.

what doesn't work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing. I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better. These might fit that bill.

IIRC they showed something similar on tomorrows world a long time ago.

my SLR camera from about 1980-something had an adjustable lens on the
viewfinder,

so the technology has been in commercial use for ages

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 28/08/2019 01:09, Rod Speed wrote:
Bert Coules wrote
They do look intriguing. I use and like varifocals but there are times
(and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a single
prescription pair would be better. These might fit that bill.

Yeah, just ordered some.
I normally wear what works best for the computer screen and
now find it hard to read the shelf labels in the supermarket etc.
Be handy to be able to change the prescription on the fly for that.

Tell us how you get on.

Sure.

Could be fiddly to adjust "on the fly".

Yep, going to be interesting to see.

Even if they are, they will be useful to get new prescription lenses.

I have been using the cheap chinese ones for years now and have been
guessing the prescription change for a while now. Works fine with one
eye but not with the other. Simplest way to do my diy eye test.

But I didnt notice the 6D limit, so maybe not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2019 08:41, wrote:
On Wednesday, 28 August 2019 07:10:25 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
and who wants to look like Joe 90

Some people must

https://www.glassesdirect.co.uk/glas...4&aspect=front

Owain

that is not the special glasses....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/08/2019 11:08, tim... wrote:

"dennis@home" wrote in message
On 27/08/2019 17:22, Bert Coules wrote:
They do look intriguing.Â* I use and like varifocals but there are
times (and in differing circumstances) where they're not ideal and a
single prescription pair would be better.Â* These might fit that bill.

IIRC they showed something similar on tomorrows world a long time ago.

my SLR camera from about 1980-something had an adjustable lens on the
viewfinder,

so the technology has been in commercial use for ages

tim

they all had but its not the same.
even more cameras have correction now.