Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Power cut

On 24/08/2019 07:38, jeikppkywk wrote:
On 23/08/2019 22:36, Max Demian wrote:

All the mobile interfaces are obscure. I bought a (very non-smart)
phone in 2003 and had to go back into the shop to ask how to turn it
on. You press *and hold* the red "hang up" button. Who would think of
that? (There was a 1/0 power symbol on the button but it was *very*
tiny.)

There is no such thing as an 'intuitive' user interface to anything.

Yes there is with catching something coming towards you.

My 'intuitive' reaction would be to get out of the way.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2019 07:30, jeikppkywk wrote:

On 23/08/2019 20:27, jeikppkywk wrote:

Thats what the ones with physical buttons do have.

Not viable with a touch screen tho.

SO DONT HAVE JUST A TOUCH SCREEEN

NOT A VIABLE WAY TO DO A SMARTPHONE.

Makes more sense to swipe an icon on the touch screen.

No, It makes no more sense than tapping a button, or an icon,

Those dont work when getting the phone out of your pocket.

I don't keep my phone in my pocket. I have a case attached to my belt
and can extract it without touching the screen.

You could easily accidentally swipe the icon the the right while taking
it out.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2019 07:45, jeikppkywk wrote:

On 24/08/2019 07:30, jeikppkywk wrote:

On 23/08/2019 20:27, jeikppkywk wrote:

Thats what the ones with physical buttons do have.

Not viable with a touch screen tho.

SO DONT HAVE JUST A TOUCH SCREEEN

NOT A VIABLE WAY TO DO A SMARTPHONE.

Makes more sense to swipe an icon on the touch screen.

No, It makes no more sense than tapping a button, or an icon,

Those dont work when getting the phone out of your pocket.

Why not?

Because its too easy to press on the icon accidentally
when you can't see the screen when it is still in your
pocket and you are taking it out of your pocket.

Its too easyy to swipe it too.
Dorsnt stop it working.,

Besides its a well lnown fact that all icons on the screen will respond
to a tap except the one you want to.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2019 10:14, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 24/08/2019 07:30, jeikppkywk wrote:

On 23/08/2019 20:27, jeikppkywk wrote:

That's what the ones with physical buttons do have.

Not viable with a touch screen tho.

SO DONT HAVE JUST A TOUCH SCREEEN

NOT A VIABLE WAY TO DO A SMARTPHONE.

Makes more sense to swipe an icon on the touch screen.

No, It makes no more sense than tapping a button, or an icon,

Those don't work when getting the phone out of your pocket.

Why not?

Do you mean why is that mode chosen, or do you mean how is it achieved?

Neither. I mean why won't they work?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 23/08/2019 20:27, jeikppkywk wrote:

Thats what the ones with physical buttons do have.

Not viable with a touch screen tho.

SO DONT HAVE JUST A TOUCH SCREEEN

NOT A VIABLE WAY TO DO A SMARTPHONE.

Makes more sense to swipe an icon on the touch screen.

No, It makes no more sense than tapping a button, or an icon, or shaking
the thing volently and throwing it against the wall

All the mobile interfaces are obscure.

Not all, particularly when to answer the thing on the screen tells
you to slide that to answer and has others to reject the call etc.

I bought a (very non-smart) phone in 2003 and had to go back into the shop
to ask how to turn it on. You press *and hold* the red "hang up" button.

You could have got real radical and read the ****ing quick start guide.

My cordless phone handsets are like that but that
button also has the traditional power icon on it too.

Who would think of that?

Anyone who has enough of a clue to read the quick start guide.

(There was a 1/0 power symbol on the button but it was *very* tiny.)

And you were too stupid to read the quick start guide.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 06:02:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

All the mobile interfaces are obscure.

Not all

LOL In auto-contradicting mode again, you clinically insane senile pest?

FLUSH the rest of your senile **** unread again

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2019 21:02, Rod Speed wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

Â*Who would think of that?

Anyone who has enough of a clue to read the quick start guide.

(There was a 1/0 power symbol on the button but it was *very* tiny.)

And you were too stupid to read the quick start guide.

There wasn't one. It's on page 10 of the manual.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 24/08/2019 07:38, jeikppkywk wrote:
On 23/08/2019 22:36, Max Demian wrote:

All the mobile interfaces are obscure. I bought a (very non-smart)
phone in 2003 and had to go back into the shop to ask how to turn it
on. You press *and hold* the red "hang up" button. Who would think of
that? (There was a 1/0 power symbol on the button but it was *very*
tiny.)

There is no such thing as an 'intuitive' user interface to anything.

Yes there is with catching something coming towards you.

My 'intuitive' reaction would be to get out of the way.

Not when its small and light and fragile.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 24/08/2019 07:30, jeikppkywk wrote:

On 23/08/2019 20:27, jeikppkywk wrote:

Thats what the ones with physical buttons do have.

Not viable with a touch screen tho.

SO DONT HAVE JUST A TOUCH SCREEEN

NOT A VIABLE WAY TO DO A SMARTPHONE.

Makes more sense to swipe an icon on the touch screen.

No, It makes no more sense than tapping a button, or an icon,

Those dont work when getting the phone out of your pocket.

I don't keep my phone in my pocket.

But the design of how you answer an incoming
call has to allow for those who do, particularly
when the answer screen isn't user configurable.

I have a case attached to my belt and can extract it without touching the
screen.

But only a small minority of phone users use those.

You could easily accidentally swipe the icon the the right while taking it
out.

No you can't with the best designed ones. Thats a
real irritation when answering the call when driving,
its quite hard to swipe the icon. It doesnt happen
accidentally even when just picking up the phone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 08:07:22 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

My 'intuitive' reaction would be to get out of the way.

Not

LOL Senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 08:13:12 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

I don't keep my phone in my pocket.

But

LOL

I have a case attached to my belt and can extract it without touching the
screen.

But

LOL

You could easily accidentally swipe the icon the the right while taking it
out.

No

LOL

Get treatment, you clinically insane psychopathic swine!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 24/08/2019 10:14, Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 24/08/2019 07:30, jeikppkywk wrote:

On 23/08/2019 20:27, jeikppkywk wrote:

That's what the ones with physical buttons do have.

Not viable with a touch screen tho.

SO DONT HAVE JUST A TOUCH SCREEEN

NOT A VIABLE WAY TO DO A SMARTPHONE.

Makes more sense to swipe an icon on the touch screen.

No, It makes no more sense than tapping a button, or an icon,

Those don't work when getting the phone out of your pocket.

Why not?

Do you mean why is that mode chosen, or do you mean how is it achieved?

Neither. I mean why won't they work?

I know the answer to this because I discovered how to answer calls after
I'd had my phone six months. Up to then I used to ring people back.
When the phone is opened, i.e. you are logged in and you receive a call
you have a red don't answer and a green answer button. But when the
screen is locked, to avoid mistakes when you take it out of your pocket
and touch the screen (avoid swiping when you are taking it out!) you
have a totally different arrangement, a button you swipe one way for
answer and the other way for reject. (Up and down probably do something
too.).

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2019 07:45, jeikppkywk wrote:

On 24/08/2019 07:30, jeikppkywk wrote:

On 23/08/2019 20:27, jeikppkywk wrote:

Thats what the ones with physical buttons do have.

Not viable with a touch screen tho.

SO DONT HAVE JUST A TOUCH SCREEEN

NOT A VIABLE WAY TO DO A SMARTPHONE.

Makes more sense to swipe an icon on the touch screen.

No, It makes no more sense than tapping a button, or an icon,

Those dont work when getting the phone out of your pocket.

Why not?

Because its too easy to press on the icon accidentally
when you can't see the screen when it is still in your
pocket and you are taking it out of your pocket.

Its too easyy to swipe it too.

Not with the best of the designs. It is in fact irritatingly
hard to swipe it successfully, particularly when driving.

Dorsnt stop it working.,

Yes it does.

Besides its a well lnown fact that all icons on the screen will respond to
a tap except the one you want to.

It isnt a tap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 08:50:05 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH troll****

You STILL hope you might win that game, my punching bag? LOL KEEP hoping! I
will keep slapping you around and taking the mickey out of you until you
croak, you disgusting 85-year-old senile pest!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
news
On 24/08/2019 21:02, Rod Speed wrote:

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
[...]

There wasn't one.

Dont believe that.

It's on page 10 of the manual.

And you were too stupid to read that when you couldnt work out how to turn
it on.

Cant get any more stupid than that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 09:48:52 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH more of the senile asshole's troll****

....and much better air in here again!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2019 23:07, jeikppkywk wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 24/08/2019 07:38, jeikppkywk wrote:

There is no such thing as an 'intuitive' user interface to anything.

Yes there is with catching something coming towards you.

My 'intuitive' reaction would be to get out of the way.

Not when its small and light and fragile.

Depends on whether I care if it breaks. I'd probably still not catch it,
as catching things is a skill I never mastered.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2019 00:48, Rod Speed wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
news
On 24/08/2019 21:02, Rod Speed wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...

I bought a (very non-smart) phone in 2003 and had to go back into
the shop to ask how to turn it on. You press *and hold* the red
"hang up" button.

You could have got real radical and read the ****ing quick start guide.

My cordless phone handsets are like that but that
button also has the traditional power icon on it too.

Â*Who would think of that?

Anyone who has enough of a clue to read the quick start guide.

(There was a 1/0 power symbol on the button but it was *very* tiny.)

And you were too stupid to read the quick start guide.

There wasn't one.

Dont believe that.

It's on page 10 of the manual.

And you were too stupid to read that when you couldnt work out how to
turn it on.

Cant get any more stupid than that.

Since I was still just outside the shop, it was easier to go back in and
ask the man something he might have explained anyway.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/08/2019 23:35, Roger Hayter wrote:
[...]

That's something like my experience. On my 'old' Nokia (2012 purchase),
when a call comes in a message is put on the screen telling you which
button to push to answer.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 25/08/2019 00:48, Rod Speed wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
news
On 24/08/2019 21:02, Rod Speed wrote:
"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 20:04:04 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You never could bull**** your way out of a wet paper bag.

YOU certainly KEEP bull****ting your way FAST into your grave, you subnormal
senile pest!

cretin from Oz: