Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bathroom paint advice please

Bathroom paint advice please

The walls are Multifinish Plaster
(over blue water resistant boards
(stuck over kingspan with firefoam))

Something that will stand up to splashes and steam better than emulsion..

thanks, George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2019 22:09, George Miles wrote:
Bathroom paint advice please

The walls are Multifinish Plaster
(over blue water resistant boards
(stuck over kingspan with firefoam))

Something that will stand up to splashes and steam better than emulsion..

thanks, George

Bathroom and kitchen paint designed for steamy atmosphere?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/dulux-sof...e-2-5ltr/9422v

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 22:09:08 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
Bathroom paint advice please

The walls are Multifinish Plaster
(over blue water resistant boards
(stuck over kingspan with firefoam))

Something that will stand up to splashes and steam better than emulsion..

thanks, George

the paints that cope with that better are gloss & eggshell.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 22:09:08 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
Bathroom paint advice please

The walls are Multifinish Plaster
(over blue water resistant boards
(stuck over kingspan with firefoam))

Something that will stand up to splashes and steam better than emulsion..

thanks, George

the paints that cope with that better are gloss & eggshell.

About a year ago, "Smithski" posted what I found to be a valuable
advisory link about paint:

http://www.craigbrooksdecorating.co....ef-guide-to-pa
int-finishes-and-trade-vs-diy-paints

I've got a further question on paint in bathrooms (I was about to post
it when I saw this thread appear):

I'm renovating an old (60s) bathroom: I need to do the the minimum
amount of work (too many other commitments).

Currently the bathrooms is papered with vinyl wallpaper. Can I strip
this off, put up lining paper, and then paint that lining paper to
achieve "a classy, modern look"?

Cheers
John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2019 09:49, Another John wrote:
I'm renovating an old (60s) bathroom: I need to do the the minimum
amount of work (too many other commitments).

Currently the bathrooms is papered with vinyl wallpaper. Can I strip
this off, put up lining paper, and then paint that lining paper to
achieve "a classy, modern look"?

yes. Obviously getting it reskimmed nets a truer surface, but that will work

I hope it well venitaled and/or insulated - cold simngle brick outer
walls are a magnet for condensation.

My walls are all painted where they arent tiled with farrow and ball
matt emulsion.

Its fine.

look exactly the same afterwards."

Billy Connolly

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 19 August 2019 09:49:08 UTC+1, Another John wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Yes. But I certainly wouldn't. Condensation on walls frequently plus water-based adhesive are not a wise combination.

achieve "a classy, modern look"?

You tell us, does your 1960s bathroom look classy & modern? (I suspect not.)

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2019 09:49, Another John wrote:
I'm renovating an old (60s) bathroom: I need to do the the minimum
amount of work (too many other commitments).

Currently the bathrooms is papered with vinyl wallpaper.Â* Can I strip
this off, put up lining paper, and then paint that lining paper to
achieve "a classy, modern look"?

yes. Obviously getting it reskimmed nets a truer surface, but that will
work

I hope it well venitaled and/or insulated - cold simngle brick outer
walls are a magnet for condensation.

My walls are all painted where they arent tiled with farrow and ball
matt emulsion.

Its fine.

I didn't know you could tile with Farrow and Ball matt emulsioin.
Do Dulux do a similar thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2019 12:54, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 19/08/2019 09:49, Another John wrote:
I'm renovating an old (60s) bathroom: I need to do the the minimum
amount of work (too many other commitments).

Currently the bathrooms is papered with vinyl wallpaper.Â* Can I strip
this off, put up lining paper, and then paint that lining paper to
achieve "a classy, modern look"?

yes. Obviously getting it reskimmed nets a truer surface, but that
will work

I hope it well venitaled and/or insulated - cold simngle brick outer
walls are a magnet for condensation.

My walls are all painted where they arent tiled with farrow and ball
matt emulsion.

Its fine.

I didn't know you could tile with Farrow and Ball matt emulsioin.
Do Dulux do a similar thing?

This isn't just any old matt emulsion.
This is Farrow and Ball matt emulsion.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet wrote:

I didn't know you could tile with Farrow and Ball matt emulsioin.
Do Dulux do a similar thing?

Yeah, but if you don't keep the roller perfectly straight, you get wonky
grout lines ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2019 12:54, Andy Bennet wrote:
On 19/08/2019 09:49, Another John wrote:
I'm renovating an old (60s) bathroom: I need to do the the minimum
amount of work (too many other commitments).

Currently the bathrooms is papered with vinyl wallpaper.Â* Can I strip
this off, put up lining paper, and then paint that lining paper to
achieve "a classy, modern look"?

yes. Obviously getting it reskimmed nets a truer surface, but that
will work

I hope it well venitaled and/or insulated - cold simngle brick outer
walls are a magnet for condensation.

My walls are all painted where they arent tiled with farrow and ball
matt emulsion.

Its fine.

I didn't know you could tile with Farrow and Ball matt emulsioin.
Do Dulux do a similar thing?

Absolutely, it's full of commas.

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2019 12:58, Andy Bennet wrote:
[...]

Absolutely - guaranteed free of commas

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John,
I would strip the old vinyl wall paper, it and the glue could feed mould.

Use some Joint Filler or easi fill type of soft plaster to fix the dinks in the old plaster, its soft enough for sanding unike thistle multifinish.

Then paint on top.

But I dont want the paint peeling off with all the moisture, so maybe an expensive primer on the raw plaster?

But i'm not an expert on this, that's why im asking

[george]