Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Immersion Heater in Bathroom advice please?

I'm halfway through expanding the bathroom by demolishing the wall between it and the immersion heater cupboard, but have had second thoughts - the atmosphere would be damp and thus no good for drying clothes in an airing cupboard.

So should I reinstate the wall and have the immersion heater in a cupboard opening into the corridor not into the bathroom?

Advice please...

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles submitted this idea :
I'm halfway through expanding the bathroom by demolishing the wall between it
and the immersion heater cupboard, but have had second thoughts - the
atmosphere would be damp and thus no good for drying clothes in an airing
cupboard.

An airing cupboard is for keeping dry clothes dry, not a way to dry out
damp clothes. Our original airing cupboard was a cupboard as part of
the bathroom, with doors closed it kept any bathroom moisture out
reasonably well. Now our airing cupboard is accessed from the stair
landing, which is much more convenient.

The latest install had just two 'decks', I increased that to six slot
in decks, so they were quick and easy to remove for maintenance. Apart
from the shelving decks, the cupboard has the HW cylinder, pump and 3
port electronic valve, so it is always reasonably warm and dry in
there.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George Miles Wrote in message:
I'm halfway through expanding the bathroom by demolishing the wall between it and the immersion heater cupboard, but have had second thoughts - the atmosphere would be damp and thus no good for drying clothes in an airing cupboard.

So should I reinstate the wall and have the immersion heater in a cupboard opening into the corridor not into the bathroom?

Advice please...

We have an airing cupboard, with HW tank etc. in our bathroom, it
works fine for airing and drying out clothes.

If your bathroom is that damp, then I think you need to improve
the ventilation!

--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
George Miles submitted this idea :
I'm halfway through expanding the bathroom by demolishing the wall between it
and the immersion heater cupboard, but have had second thoughts - the
atmosphere would be damp and thus no good for drying clothes in an airing
cupboard.

An airing cupboard is for keeping dry clothes dry, not a way to dry out
damp clothes.

Why would I want to put dry clothes in there? I'd put them away.

I use ours for a final airing/ drying out of line dried clothes
(sometimes , they are a little damp still and it's better to
bring them in rather than leave over night) I even put some items
in there wet from the machine occasionally when I want them dried
over night.

If a bathroom as so damp as to stop clothes drying out, I'd
imagine it would be minging with mould.
--
Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY NY is offline

"Chris French" wrote in message
Harry Bloomfield Wrote in message:
George Miles submitted this idea :
I'm halfway through expanding the bathroom by demolishing the wall
between it
and the immersion heater cupboard, but have had second thoughts - the
atmosphere would be damp and thus no good for drying clothes in an
airing
cupboard.

An airing cupboard is for keeping dry clothes dry, not a way to dry out
damp clothes.

Why would I want to put dry clothes in there? I'd put them away.

I use ours for a final airing/ drying out of line dried clothes
(sometimes , they are a little damp still and it's better to
bring them in rather than leave over night) I even put some items
in there wet from the machine occasionally when I want them dried
over night.

Yes I'd use an airing cupboard as being a nice warm area for drying clothes
that are almost dry but still not bone dry after being in the tumble drier
or out on the line.

Having said that, if the lagging on the hot water cylinder and associated
pipework is doing its job properly, the airing cupboard shouldn't be getting
warm...

If you have a heat-on-demand combi boiler, you won't have a hot water
cylinder and therefore no airing cupboard. When we moved to a house with a
combi, we had to get a drying rack for hanging up nearly-dry clothes in
front of the fire or a radiator, until they were dry enough to put away.

(And yes, we did have a fire guard and we did keep the clothes several feet
from the fire.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY explained :
Yes I'd use an airing cupboard as being a nice warm area for drying clothes
that are almost dry but still not bone dry after being in the tumble drier or
out on the line.

I would be wary of putting damp clothes in an airing cupboard, as they
might become mildewed. I also try to minimise having moisture sources
within the house.

I/we have a fancy homemade long outdoor line I designed, for when the
weather is OK - then I set up a series of lines in the utility room, a
fan and a dehumidifier for when the weather is not OK.

We have a washer/ dryer, but we never use the dryer. We find the fan
and dehumidifier far better and costs a tiny fraction of running the
dryer. Hang them up on an evening and they are mostly dry next morning.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 October 2018 11:54:45 UTC+1, George Miles wrote:
I'm halfway through expanding the bathroom by demolishing the wall between it and the immersion heater cupboard, but have had second thoughts - the atmosphere would be damp and thus no good for drying clothes in an airing cupboard.

So should I reinstate the wall and have the immersion heater in a cupboard opening into the corridor not into the bathroom?

Advice please...

George

I don't find an airing cupboard to be any use. I'd want to do something useful with the space.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[ I don't find an airing cupboard to be any use. I'd want to do something useful with the space. NT]

That's something I hadn't thought of, I just assumed they were a good thing.

So its OK to have the immersion heater in a cupboard the bathroom?
(and use any heat loss to heat the bathroom)

I plan to surround the hot water tank with a few inches of kingspan insulation, and firefoam.

It heats from solar electricity, and the wood/coal rayburn.

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 October 2018 22:16:50 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes

I don't find an airing cupboard to be any use. I'd want to do something
useful with the space.

Odd. Ours is a fair size, and we use it to store blankets, pillows,
sheets, duvets, duvet covers, towels, tea towels, table cloths etc.
Where do other people keep such things?

Other cupboards, drawers, etc.
Maybe an airing cupboard was a good idea in the days of damp houses.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme presented the following explanation :
Odd. Ours is a fair size, and we use it to store blankets, pillows, sheets,
duvets, duvet covers, towels, tea towels, table cloths etc. Where do other
people keep such things?

In the airing cupboard, apart tea towels and table clothes, they belong
downstairs..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/10/2018 06:58, Graeme wrote:
In message ,
writes
On Thursday, 4 October 2018 22:16:50 UTC+1, GraemeÂ* wrote:

Odd.Â* Ours is a fair size, and we use it to store blankets, pillows,
sheets, duvets, duvet covers, towels, tea towels, table cloths etc.
Where do other people keep such things?

Other cupboards, drawers, etc.
Maybe an airing cupboard was a good idea in the days of damp houses.

Possibly.Â* I have always assumed that the name 'airing' cupboard meant
to keep things aired, i.e. to keep things warm, dry, aired and ready to
use longer term.Â* I suppose the whole concept could be out of date in an
era of modern, warm, centrally heated houses, but I couldn't imagine
living without an airing cupboard.Â* Then again, I couldn't imagine
living without an outside line, either.

Ah, but what is and isn't an airing cupboard (or Hot Press as my wife
refers to it)?

We have a cupboard in the bathroom that once would have held the hot
water tank and probably the cold one above it. The cold tank has since
migrated to the loft and the hot tank, central heating valves, central
heating pump and shower pump have been moved to a custom built cupboard
in one of the bedrooms. We tend to use the latter to store sleeping
bags, spare blankets and other rarely used items, while the unheated one
in the bathroom is used for towels, sheets, duvet covers and the like.
Wrong way round really, but we can access the bathroom one, with the
light on, without waking the kids and can't do that for the hot, bedroom
one.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Graeme presented the following explanation :
Odd. Ours is a fair size, and we use it to store blankets, pillows,
sheets, duvets, duvet covers, towels, tea towels, table cloths etc.
Where do other people keep such things?

In the airing cupboard, apart tea towels and table clothes, they belong
downstairs..

Our cupboard is off a half landing, so neither up or downstairs. Best
of both worlds.
--
Graeme