Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default alexa

so real amazon staff HAVE been listening to you through your alexa
thingy....tee hee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOOqB-Ufkc

nice chebs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 07:33:54 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
so real amazon staff HAVE been listening to you through your alexa
thingy....tee hee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOOqB-Ufkc

nice chebs

They have NOT been listening through my Alexa.

Ain't got one, never had one, and won't be getting one.

They, being anyone in a position to try, might manage to use the microphone in my PC or phone, but not with my knowledge.

I absolutely detest trying to talk to machines. Automatic voice systems on phones are hideous. It just isn't how my brain works. Unless I prepare what I have to say, I usually stutter it out and get sent to the wrong place, or (hopefully) to a human because the system got confused.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually, if you go into the app, it shows you what it has heard and wheat
it thought it heard. You can listen to all the recordings or delete them.
Talking to people at Apple and Google there are some phrases and words that
are consistently misinterpreted and so the recordings are listened to and
new rules applied.
Has anyone ever read the privacy policy? I did and went in with my eyes
open, and can say that from what I can tell no personal information has been
shared that should not have been by any of the home assistant staff.
The worry for most is more of one of hacking into the system in some way by
an outside party. Will some governments insist on this back door? That would
be worrying but until it happens we will not know if existing wire tap rules
are sufficient.
It is actually far easier to monitor the microphone of a speaker phone
than it is a home assistant. Also the button on the Alexa at least is an
internal hardware driven switch, so without access to the unit itself it
cannot be patched by software externally.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"polygonum_on_google" wrote in message
On Saturday, 17 August 2019 07:33:54 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
so real amazon staff HAVE been listening to you through your alexa
thingy....tee hee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOOqB-Ufkc

nice chebs

They have NOT been listening through my Alexa.

Ain't got one, never had one, and won't be getting one.

They, being anyone in a position to try, might manage to use the microphone
in my PC or phone, but not with my knowledge.

I absolutely detest trying to talk to machines. Automatic voice systems on
phones are hideous. It just isn't how my brain works. Unless I prepare what
I have to say, I usually stutter it out and get sent to the wrong place, or
(hopefully) to a human because the system got confused.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

You would be surprised how good the A lady is I think. Its only though by
human tweaking that it has improved. Voice systems over the phone are bad as
they have to deal with the awful quality of the telephone and its network.
I'm surprised from a mobile it can understand anything at all!

As I say, there is a button on the unit to deactivate it in hardware, or the
paranoid can simply pull the power plug out if they want to engage in
private chatting. If you have a fobile Mone then you stand a better chance
of being listened to as googles Android system is not that hard to fiddle
with when its connected to wifi.
Brian

--
----- --
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff explained :
You would be surprised how good the A lady is I think.

I am also surprised by just how good Siri is on the Iphone. Its the
first time I have used speech to text.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

i love my nokia 1100

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2019 12:25, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
i love my nokia 1100

Mine is a Nokia N70, code named Rolf after the
infamous Mr.Harris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/08/2019 07:33, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
so real amazon staff HAVE been listening to you through your alexa
thingy....tee hee

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYOOqB-Ufkc

nice chebs

Be exact, they've been listening to your questions, not what's going on
in the room.

The compute power to record everything from everyone's Echo would be
prohibitively expensive.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 17 August 2019 08:56:44 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
You would be surprised how good the A lady is I think. Its only though by
human tweaking that it has improved. Voice systems over the phone are bad as
they have to deal with the awful quality of the telephone and its network.
I'm surprised from a mobile it can understand anything at all!

As I say, there is a button on the unit to deactivate it in hardware, or the
paranoid can simply pull the power plug out if they want to engage in
private chatting. If you have a fobile Mone then you stand a better chance
of being listened to as googles Android system is not that hard to fiddle
with when its connected to wifi.
Brian

You might be right about how good "she" is. But still, no thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

Actually, if you go into the app, it shows you what it has heard and wheat
it thought it heard. You can listen to all the recordings or delete them.
Talking to people at Apple and Google there are some phrases and words that
are consistently misinterpreted and so the recordings are listened to and
new rules applied. ...

In other words, Brian: technology is great. But it requires constant,
unceasing, time-consuming -- *very* time-consuming -- intervention and
learning not only on the part of the creators, but -- far more
importantly -- on the part of the users.

The creators are paid to turn up for work and do all that. We are not,
and we have far better things to do ... but it's surprising to me, how
many innocents pour their daily lives into re-re-re-learning their
technologies.

2p
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another John" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

[...]

**** all of them "pour their daily lives into re-re-re-learning their
technologies."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 19:10:55 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

**** all of them "pour their daily lives into re-re-re-learning their
technologies."

Oh, shut it, senile asshole troll!

cretin from Oz:

OT? Alexa and the parrot Oren[_2_] Home Repair 0 December 18th 18 06:47 PM
TOT Alexa dennis@home UK diy 0 July 3rd 18 06:05 PM
alexa in the shop Electric Comet Woodworking 59 May 29th 18 01:49 PM