Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default How to level vanity unit.

See attached image.
What would the recommended best option for levelling this vanity unit.
It is approx 1cm out of plumb from back to front.

Use some shims to level.
Trim the bottom to fit.
Add a tapered trim to the bottom.

Ideas welcome.
https://imgur.com/P1vAvCZ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 9 August 2019 20:43:09 UTC+1, ss wrote:
See attached image.
What would the recommended best option for levelling this vanity unit.

Screwy feet as used under kitchen units?

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 20:42, ss wrote:
See attached image.
What would the recommended best option for levelling this vanity unit.
It is approx 1cm out of plumb from back to front.

Use some shims to level.
Trim the bottom to fit.
Add a tapered trim to the bottom.

Ideas welcome.
https://imgur.com/P1vAvCZ

Strip of something white and water resistant under front edge, e.g.
slice out of cheap plastic chopping board. And fix the unit firmly to
the wall.

(I'm assuming it's the floor sloping?)

Or as other poster said a pair of adjustable feet at the front, fitted
to the bottom shelf (but then there will be a visible gap).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/08/2019 21:20, newshound wrote:
Strip of something white and water resistant under front edge, e.g.
slice out of cheap plastic chopping board. And fix the unit firmly to
the wall.

(I'm assuming it's the floor sloping?)

Floor sloping....yes.

I have some off cuts of white UPVC window trim and I am sure thats about
1 cm thick, I will look at that tomorrow. That could be ideal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If the unit is a stand alone that does not need to be level with neighbouring units then the neatest solution is to prop it in position using wedges to level it off. Then using a piece of wood at least as thick as the largest gap use it to scribe the bottom edges of the unit. Finally trim off the excess with whatever your favourite method, myself I would use a router.

An easier but less neat approach is to use UPVC trim which is quite inexpensive if you can source it from a UPVC supplier rather than the sheds. Mitre the corners attach with double sided tape and finish off and seal with silicone.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/08/2019 22:27, Tricky Dicky wrote:
An easier but less neat approach is to use UPVC trim which is quite inexpensive if you can source it from a UPVC supplier rather than the sheds. Mitre the corners attach with double sided tape and finish off and seal with silicone.

Poster already suggested this and I have a few off cuts so will try that
tomorrow and see how it goes, that still leaves other options open.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2019 20:42, ss wrote:
See attached image.
What would the recommended best option for levelling this vanity unit.
It is approx 1cm out of plumb from back to front.

Use some shims to level.
Trim the bottom to fit.

I would be tempted to scribe a line and trim out at least some of the
error. The sit it on a bed of plumber's gold. Once that has gone off, a
bean of more plumber's gold round the perimeter to make a water tight
seal to the floor.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 09/08/2019 22:48, John Rumm wrote:
I would be tempted to scribe a line and trim out at least some of the
error. The sit it on a bed of plumber's gold. Once that has gone off, a
bean of more plumber's gold round the perimeter to make a water tight
seal to the floor.

I am in the 1st instance going to try the UPVC trim I have to level it
and see how it looks, then probably scribe/trim as my second option.

Using the UPVC trim as a first choice is less destructive should it not
look good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

I am in the 1st instance going to try the UPVC trim I have to level it
and see how it looks, then probably scribe/trim as my second option.

Using the UPVC trim as a first choice is less destructive should it not
look good.

Update:

I used the uvpc I had and quite happy with the result.

Image.
https://imgur.com/SVZ6YIX

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2019 21:29, ss wrote:

I am in the 1st instance going to try the UPVC trim I have to level it
and see how it looks, then probably scribe/trim as my second option.

Using the UPVC trim as a first choice is less destructive should it
not look good.

Update:

I used the uvpc I had and quite happy with the result.

Image.
https://imgur.com/SVZ6YIX

Yup neat enough... Did you leave the wedge (or similar) there so its not
supporting the load on the PVC? (just in case the unit itself sags or
racks with time)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/08/2019 10:06, John Rumm wrote:
Image.
https://imgur.com/SVZ6YIX

Yup neat enough... Did you leave the wedge (or similar) there so its not
supporting the load on the PVC? (just in case the unit itself sags or
racks with time)

Nope, I did think about it after the event but by then I had it screwed
to the wall and siliconed. The PVC is 2 inches deep and on 3 sides so
hopefully should be ok.

Bathroom Waste pipe V vanity unit ss UK diy 13 May 13th 19 08:00 PM
Where to find a bathroom vanity that fits where the old vanity was. Hswart37 Home Repair 5 October 3rd 16 03:09 PM
Bathroom - do unit doors need to match vanity unit? R D S[_2_] UK diy 2 September 2nd 12 07:55 AM
Vanity Unit - bathroom mo UK diy 11 November 27th 08 03:40 PM
Shaver Point in Vanity Unit? Sparks UK diy 0 April 24th 06 01:41 PM