Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mo Mo is offline

Default Vanity Unit - bathroom

Basically we have a bathroom basin that looks as such

http://www.lowcostbathrooms.com/basi...639_medium.jpg

In our bathroom - behind the long bit holding it up we have soem pipes and
the wall needs re-tiling

Another problem is that we have is that water splashed out and goes onto the
floor (our basin is near a wall but not quite touching - the otherside has
the bath near it so water does't overflow on that side much.

Now the guy we had aroudn for a quote to retile suggested a vanity unit. The
idea being that the wood would cover up the area that needs tiling (it would
fit flush into the corner/wall) and also if the sink is sort of inside the
unit then the water will not come out.

Great I thought

Only problem is I don't wnat to (Can;t afford) a fortune on an expensive
unit and i wnat to keep hold of the basin as I have just spent soem cash
putting new taps on it (and it looks nice/new)

So I wonder, is it hard to get a custom made unit? Or are there any decent
units that can take 'any' basins?

I imagine the actual rectangular box shape building of the unit won;t be
hard but getting a way of putting in the basin will be - how owudl you go
about doing that?

Also if we have the vanity unit, it removes the bit holding the basin up so
we can use for storage which is also a plus point!

Whats the best way aorund this?

Hope that makes sense!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"mo" wrote in message
[...]

Don't know of a unit that fits around a pedestal basin. Well, nothing that
will make the basin look nice. You could ask a joiner / carpenter to make
you something bespoke, that might look good.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"mo" writes:
[...]

Not sure how well your existing basin might rest on a vanity
unit, although bowls sitting atop of the worktop is very much
the "in" thing today.

Fitted bathroom furniture is both very expensive, and very crap
quality. After looking at some, I decided to make mine out of
IKEA kitchen units.

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/basin1.jpg

Those 4 units are actually wall cupboards, cut down to 20cm deep
to match the inset basin. I think all 4 units, doors, end panel,
and worktop (which is actually a white door from another range,
going for about £1 because someone damaged it) came in at about
£60, nearly an order of magnitude less than the equivalent
bathroom furniture.

I found another picture of it after finishing the grouting and
painting, but it doesn't show much of the units (more of the boiler).

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/basin2.jpg

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"mo" writes:
[...]

And very nice it looks too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Fitted bathroom furniture is both very expensive, and very crap
quality. After looking at some, I decided to make mine out of
IKEA kitchen units.

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/basin1.jpg

Those 4 units are actually wall cupboards, cut down to 20cm deep
to match the inset basin. I think all 4 units, doors, end panel,
and worktop (which is actually a white door from another range,
going for about £1 because someone damaged it) came in at about
£60, nearly an order of magnitude less than the equivalent
bathroom furniture.

Nice job cutting around the basin shape at the front, how did you do it?
Template?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Fitted bathroom furniture is both very expensive, and very crap
quality. After looking at some, I decided to make mine out of
IKEA kitchen units.

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/basin1.jpg

Those 4 units are actually wall cupboards, cut down to 20cm deep
to match the inset basin. I think all 4 units, doors, end panel,
and worktop (which is actually a white door from another range,
going for about £1 because someone damaged it) came in at about
£60, nearly an order of magnitude less than the equivalent
bathroom furniture.

Nice job cutting around the basin shape at the front, how did you do it?
Template?

It came with a large paper template. The timber actually goes
behind the front piece, so you can't see the timber edge.
There's supposed to be a bead of silicone to make it look
like the basin outer goes straight through the timber, but
I didn't put that in at the time thinking I might want to
remove that panel once or twice more whilst fitting other
bits, and I never got round to it.

Everything in that bathroom is pretty bog standard and thus
cheap. The basin was an exception -- I wanted a full size
bowl with minimum projection possible, and that's a special
short projection one. The tap is to the side so the basin
bowl goes right back to the wall. The other things I splashed
out on a little bit more than plain basic ones were the taps,
and a Kawaldi pressed steel bath. Also (not in view) there's
a very nice thermostatic shower mixer which I bought very
cheaply in a sale a few years beforehand, and it had been
sitting on a shelf since then waiting for me to get around
to redoing the bathroom. (When I did get round to it, I
found a bit of the shower was missing, but Gainsborough
were still perfectly happy to send it to me for free.)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Fitted bathroom furniture is both very expensive, and very crap
quality. After looking at some, I decided to make mine out of
IKEA kitchen units.

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/basin1.jpg

Those 4 units are actually wall cupboards, cut down to 20cm deep
to match the inset basin. I think all 4 units, doors, end panel,
and worktop (which is actually a white door from another range,
going for about £1 because someone damaged it) came in at about
£60, nearly an order of magnitude less than the equivalent
bathroom furniture.

Nice job cutting around the basin shape at the front, how did you do it?
Template?

It came with a large paper template. The timber actually goes
behind the front piece, so you can't see the timber edge.

I fitted one recently which sounds just like that - in my case it was a
complete **** of a job to with a slightly overhanging, curved profile
worktop - there was no way to get the template to fit (sort of working
in 4 dimensions!) and I'm still not very happy with the outcome. Is
your worktop flush with the front of the cupboards? Can't quite see.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 21:50:59 -0000, "mo" wrote:

[...]

See post above: "making a curved template".

The technique described can be used in multiple dimensions with a bit
of patience. You might need to knock up a dummy carcase out of 2"x1"
timber to hold the bowl in the right position in order to take the
initial measurements and then try out the cardboard/hardboard
templates. Don't forget to allow for the thickness of the final
worktop and front panel.

If the template ends up with too big a gap, don't abandon it and start
from scratch, just glue (prit stick, copydex etc) some more bits of
card on until you have the right shape.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Fitted bathroom furniture is both very expensive, and very crap
quality. After looking at some, I decided to make mine out of
IKEA kitchen units.

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/basin1.jpg

Those 4 units are actually wall cupboards, cut down to 20cm deep
to match the inset basin. I think all 4 units, doors, end panel,
and worktop (which is actually a white door from another range,
going for about £1 because someone damaged it) came in at about
£60, nearly an order of magnitude less than the equivalent
bathroom furniture.

Nice job cutting around the basin shape at the front, how did you do it?
Template?

It came with a large paper template. The timber actually goes
behind the front piece, so you can't see the timber edge.

Here's a link to the basin...
http://www.homesupply.co.uk/ideal_st...cm=E6 111.htm
(I didn't buy it from there -- I ordered it from a local
independant plumbers merchant which was the cheapest
source I could find at the time, £80 IIRC, but that's
some time ago now.)

I fitted one recently which sounds just like that - in my case it was a
complete **** of a job to with a slightly overhanging, curved profile
worktop - there was no way to get the template to fit (sort of working
in 4 dimensions!) and I'm still not very happy with the outcome. Is
your worktop flush with the front of the cupboards? Can't quite see.

The worktop overhang is only a mm or two.
The worktop is two pieces, one each side of the basin.
They go under the edge of the basin about a cm, IIRC.
Contrary to apperences, the basin is actually fixed to the
wall on a pair of metal L brackets which came with it, and
the cupboards were then constructed around it afterwards.
It doesn't really sit on the worktop, except I had to lift
it about a mm at the front to slide the worktop under the
edges.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Lobster writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

[...]

Interesting - not the same model as mine, but on the plan the profile
where it 'interfaces' with the worktop and front panel look identical:
but my model is def intended to sit in the worktop, like a kitchen sink,
with similar fixings. It was the protruding leading edge of my worktop
which caused the grief, ideally needing to have a curved internal
profile to follow that of the sink, and which eluded me!

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hello,

if you need the wooden bathroom furniture,you can ask this website for
help www.qifanbath.com

they produce the wooden furniture ,wooden bathroom furniture,bamboo
furniture,antique furniture ,middle-east style antique
furniture,europe american style antique furniture..

nice place to find i think.

http://www.lowcostbathrooms.com/basi...room-basins-22...

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I like the vanity cabinets from bathroom and kitchen guide. You can
check it out, just google search their website.

Lobster;1445401 Wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:-
In article ,
Lobster writes:-
Andrew Gabriel wrote:-
In article ,

http://tinyurl.com/66spwq
-
[...]

kitchenkaylie

Shaver Point in Vanity Unit? Sparks UK diy 0 April 24th 06 01:41 PM
Bathroom Vanity - Done! Teamcasa Woodworking 7 April 20th 06 04:30 PM
Bathroom vanity Teamcasa Woodworking 7 September 13th 05 09:35 PM
Bathroom Vanity Rob V Woodworking 0 June 10th 05 05:26 PM