Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Vanity Unit - bathroom

In article ,
Lobster writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Fitted bathroom furniture is both very expensive, and very crap
quality. After looking at some, I decided to make mine out of
IKEA kitchen units.

http://www.cucumber.demon.co.uk/basin1.jpg

Those 4 units are actually wall cupboards, cut down to 20cm deep
to match the inset basin. I think all 4 units, doors, end panel,
and worktop (which is actually a white door from another range,
going for about £1 because someone damaged it) came in at about
£60, nearly an order of magnitude less than the equivalent
bathroom furniture.

Nice job cutting around the basin shape at the front, how did you do it?
Template?

It came with a large paper template. The timber actually goes
behind the front piece, so you can't see the timber edge.

Here's a link to the basin...
http://www.homesupply.co.uk/ideal_st...cm=E6 111.htm
(I didn't buy it from there -- I ordered it from a local
independant plumbers merchant which was the cheapest
source I could find at the time, £80 IIRC, but that's
some time ago now.)

I fitted one recently which sounds just like that - in my case it was a
complete **** of a job to with a slightly overhanging, curved profile
worktop - there was no way to get the template to fit (sort of working
in 4 dimensions!) and I'm still not very happy with the outcome. Is
your worktop flush with the front of the cupboards? Can't quite see.

The worktop overhang is only a mm or two.
The worktop is two pieces, one each side of the basin.
They go under the edge of the basin about a cm, IIRC.
Contrary to apperences, the basin is actually fixed to the
wall on a pair of metal L brackets which came with it, and
the cupboards were then constructed around it afterwards.
It doesn't really sit on the worktop, except I had to lift
it about a mm at the front to slide the worktop under the
edges.

--
Andrew Gabriel